Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

What is your favorite wash mitt?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-17, 11:48 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts
Default What is your favorite wash mitt?

I've been using microfiber chenille wash mitts for the longest time now. I also own some wool wash mitts, but I've been too lazy to use them. I've always found the cleaning and drying process for the wool to be annoying, and if they don't dry properly they stink.

I recently ordered some synthetic wool wash pads from autogeek. I was looking to try the Adam's wash pad, but autogeek doesn't carry it. I ended up ordering their synthetic wash pad because it looks like a smaller version of the adams pad. After talking to my friend about it, he mentioned he really likes the ultra soft microfiber rinseless wash mitt that autogeek sells. This made me wonder what wash mitt do you guys prefer to use?
Old 07-07-17, 06:35 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

DI Accessories reTHICKulous Wool Wash Mitt

This thing is crazy plush... it is so big and soaks up a ton of water when it is brand new. I use it for washing my cars, and replace them every year or so. After washing, I let it air dry, then I brush it out (do not run wool mitts through a washing machine or dryer). Just takes a few minutes of your time, and keeps it looking new.

Product Review: DI reTHICKulous Wool Wash Mitt by Chad Raskovich
Old 07-07-17, 08:23 AM
k20trick
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
I've been using microfiber chenille wash mitts for the longest time now. I also own some wool wash mitts, but I've been too lazy to use them. I've always found the cleaning and drying process for the wool to be annoying, and if they don't dry properly they stink.

I recently ordered some synthetic wool wash pads from autogeek. I was looking to try the Adam's wash pad, but autogeek doesn't carry it. I ended up ordering their synthetic wash pad because it looks like a smaller version of the adams pad. After talking to my friend about it, he mentioned he really likes the ultra soft microfiber rinseless wash mitt that autogeek sells. This made me wonder what wash mitt do you guys prefer to use?

I love the Adam's wash pad 10x10, the Autogeek ones have frayed edges that are sharp and can easily scratch your finish. I use one bucket (this bucket always stays clean and I never re-add soap, just keep it covered with the gamma seal, saves water from refilling on future washes too), multiple Adams mitts, I just use each mitt both sides toss them in the washer and let them air dry and they are ready for use again. Initially I thought the washer would break them down however after quite a few washes they are still going strong. Good quality, holds great suds, lasts long, one of the best pads to use per the price.

I also use multiple microfiber chenille mitts. I use them in rotation when the Adams needs to be cleaned the chenille will be used etc..

Do you use dual bucket? I heard Dooka wash pads are one of the greatest. Unfortunately, in my world I just use the multiple mitt method, it takes too much time to refill the buckets and wastes a lot of water, however if your looking for a great pad I have heard a lot of great reviews on Dooka.
Old 07-07-17, 08:39 AM
Ahhadanny
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I am still using microfiber chenille wash mitts with 2 buckets. So far it works for me. Any downsides of microfiber mitts I should know?
Old 07-07-17, 09:17 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
DI Accessories reTHICKulous Wool Wash Mitt

This thing is crazy plush... it is so big and soaks up a ton of water when it is brand new. I use it for washing my cars, and replace them every year or so. After washing, I let it air dry, then I brush it out (do not run wool mitts through a washing machine or dryer). Just takes a few minutes of your time, and keeps it looking new.

Product Review: DI reTHICKulous Wool Wash Mitt by Chad Raskovich
I'll give it a try the next time I place an order with Detailed Image. I've had my wool mitt since 09, but I only used it a handful of times. I had issues with the inside not completely drying and smelling weird. I was always a little paranoid about it getting dirty while air drying because my garage was being used as a warehouse/storage at the time, so I stopped using it.

Originally Posted by k20trick
I love the Adam's wash pad 10x10, the Autogeek ones have frayed edges that are sharp and can easily scratch your finish. I use one bucket (this bucket always stays clean and I never re-add soap, just keep it covered with the gamma seal, saves water from refilling on future washes too), multiple Adams mitts, I just use each mitt both sides toss them in the washer and let them air dry and they are ready for use again. Initially I thought the washer would break them down however after quite a few washes they are still going strong. Good quality, holds great suds, lasts long, one of the best pads to use per the price.

I also use multiple microfiber chenille mitts. I use them in rotation when the Adams needs to be cleaned the chenille will be used etc..

Do you use dual bucket? I heard Dooka wash pads are one of the greatest. Unfortunately, in my world I just use the multiple mitt method, it takes too much time to refill the buckets and wastes a lot of water, however if your looking for a great pad I have heard a lot of great reviews on Dooka.
That's good to know about the autogeek ones. I'll inspect them for sharp edges, and if I find any, then I'll use them to clean the house.

I've never heard of Dooka wash pads, but according to google, they don't ship to the USA. I do use the 2 bucket method, and I use the left over water to water my lawn.

Originally Posted by Ahhadanny
I am still using microfiber chenille wash mitts with 2 buckets. So far it works for me. Any downsides of microfiber mitts I should know?
As long as you have a high quality MF mitt, then it should be fine.
Old 07-07-17, 09:30 AM
k20trick
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ahhadanny
Chenille mitts are good.

I'll give it a try the next time I place an order with Detailed Image. I've had my wool mitt since 09, but I only used it a handful of times. I had issues with the inside not completely drying and smelling weird. I was always a little paranoid about it getting dirty while air drying because my garage was being used as a warehouse/storage at the time, so I stopped using it.

That's good to know about the autogeek ones. I'll inspect them for sharp edges, and if I find any, then I'll use them to clean the house.

I've never heard of Dooka wash pads, but according to google, they don't ship to the USA. I do use the 2 bucket method, and I use the left over water to water my lawn.

As long as you have a high quality MF mitt, then it should be fine.
It seems like the bottom portion has honeycomb edges that may be sharp, 3 sides are ok 1 has this issue, I can take photos too, this may have been fixed but Im not sure. Never had a problem with the Adams however...
Old 07-07-17, 09:27 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

It seems like the bottom portion has honeycomb edges that may be sharp, 3 sides are ok 1 has this issue, I can take photos too, this may have been fixed but Im not sure. Never had a problem with the Adams however...
I looked at the mitt when I got home today. It still has that honey comb where they sew the 2 pieces together, but it didn't feel sharp to me. I gave the mitt a try on the daily driver (black camry), and after the first time I dunked the mitt into the bucket I realized using a 3 gallon bucket wasn't going to be enough soap/water. I found the mitt doesn't have much "scrubbing" ability and it required a little more pressure than using a MF chenille mitt. The end result was the paint got marred, but today was warmer than usual, so that didn't help at all. These will work great for cleaning the windows on my house. I kind of regret buying 2 of them. lol

If I have some time early in the morning, I'll drive down to Irvine and pick up an adams mitt from detailing.com.
Old 07-09-17, 02:00 PM
k20trick
Instructor

Nice! Just that the quality looks off when a product was sewn like that... The Adams material is much nicer too you will see.

Why not try the wookies fist by dodo juice, its quite pricey however if you use one mitt and dual buckets all the time it may be a great investment, and its surely one of the most if not the most gentle on your paint, it may even be the same manufacturer of the thickulous. I would use these exotic mitts, but they require more maintenance than just using the synthetic Adams or chenille and tossing them in the washer right after.
Old 07-09-17, 03:14 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Nice! Just that the quality looks off when a product was sewn like that... The Adams material is much nicer too you will see.

Why not try the wookies fist by dodo juice, its quite pricey however if you use one mitt and dual buckets all the time it may be a great investment, and its surely one of the most if not the most gentle on your paint, it may even be the same manufacturer of the thickulous. I would use these exotic mitts, but they require more maintenance than just using the synthetic Adams or chenille and tossing them in the washer right after.
I was able to pick up some adams mitt yesterday evening, but I haven't taken them out of the bag to look them over yet. The guy working at detailing.com told me the only mitt he liked more than the adams was the gyeon, but it was double the cost.

I looked into buying a wookie fist back when I had a black IS250, but after it got totaled I wasn't as picky with my wash materials. I like being able to throw the mitt into the washer after I'm done, so I haven't had a problem with using the chenille mitts all these years.

So far I have the rethickulous, gyeon wash mitt, and the wookie on my list of potential purchases. I'll update if/when I get them. lol
Old 07-09-17, 03:18 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

8.5"x11" microfiber wash pads.

Old 07-09-17, 10:27 PM
k20trick
Instructor

These will work great for cleaning the windows on my house. I kind of regret buying 2 of them. lol

Picked up about 12 of those live and learn I guess...
Old 07-11-17, 04:49 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Adding a few pictures, so people can reference

Wool Wash mitt on the left (I forgot the brand) and an Autogeek Wash pads on the right

The honeycomb/stitching K20trick was talking about

Adam's wash Pad

Stitching on the Adam's pad
Old 07-12-17, 08:32 AM
3nergiz3d
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

https://www.theragcompany.com/the-cy...blue-wash-pad/

Just picked this up and it's a beast. Very plush and holds a ridiculous amount of water. I believe Levi from The Rag Company did a video on it, if you watch them on Youtube.
Old 07-14-17, 11:39 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

I finally had a chance to use the adams wash pad yesterday evening. The Adams wash pad creates a lot of suds and can clean a larger surface area than anything else I've ever used. I was washing the car using the 2 bucket method. The wash bucket was really clean after I was done, and the rinse bucket was filthy while the pad still looked clean. These wash pads are hard to wring out though, so it creates a mess. I'm going to give your method a try with multiple wash pads per car and putting a gamma seal on the wash bucket to save for future washes.

Originally Posted by 3nergiz3d
https://www.theragcompany.com/the-cy...blue-wash-pad/

Just picked this up and it's a beast. Very plush and holds a ridiculous amount of water. I believe Levi from The Rag Company did a video on it, if you watch them on Youtube.
Interesting wash pad. I might have to add it to the list of products to try. I've never ordered anything from the rag company. Do they have any other must try products?
Old 07-15-17, 09:19 PM
k20trick
Instructor

I finally had a chance to use the adams wash pad yesterday evening. The Adams wash pad creates a lot of suds and can clean a larger surface area than anything else I've ever used. I was washing the car using the 2 bucket method. The wash bucket was really clean after I was done, and the rinse bucket was filthy while the pad still looked clean. These wash pads are hard to wring out though, so it creates a mess. I'm going to give your method a try with multiple wash pads per car and putting a gamma seal on the wash bucket to save for future washes.

Interesting wash pad. I might have to add it to the list of products to try. I've never ordered anything from the rag company. Do they have any other must try products?

Downside is that it can get costly but the convenience of never having to refill two buckets, empty them out etc was worth it for me, wait for a 25-30% off deal at Adams, they sell 3 pads for 24.99 you can probably buy 12 pads for 60-70... You'll easily get years worth of use out of them as long as you take care of them, great roi imho...

Rag company has great microfiber, I use their pluffle drying towel. That new wash pad looks very heavy though to manipulate into cracks and crevices, the Adams is light and you can maneuver it much easier, but their pluff towel is great for drying, I use mostly with rinse less and their Korean eagle edgeless towels are one of the best Imo... Not too good for super sticky sealants and coating wipe offs, but they do work very well for spray sealants like reload cv2 optiseal

Quick Reply: What is your favorite wash mitt?