Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

How do you make sure the dealer does NOT wash your car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-17, 07:42 AM
gth181a
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Lightbulb How do you make sure the dealer does NOT wash your car?

I typically tell the service advisor to make a note on the work order, but one time (with a previous car), that did not work. So now I put a note in the car stating "NO CAR WASH". Too ****? lol.
Attached Thumbnails How do you make sure the dealer does NOT wash your car?-nocarwash.jpg  
The following 3 users liked this post by gth181a:
Diesel26 (01-06-17), LeX2K (01-05-17), zmcgovern4 (01-05-17)
Old 01-05-17, 08:01 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Not at all. I do this every time I bring my vehicles in for service. Been doing that for 12 years now.
Old 01-05-17, 09:44 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Ha, my dealership thinks I am nuts.

I have 4 signs I put inside the car... one just like yours on the gauge cluster, another one on the center console, another one on the dash, and I hang one from the rear view mirror.

Even with all of that, one of their guys almost drove it through their wash once. I may have smacked him if it would have happened.

We give these out to all of our customers as well with hope that they remember to put them up when taking their vehicles in for service... DI Accessories "Do Not Wash" Rear View Mirror Hang Tag
The following 2 users liked this post by zmcgovern4:
davyjordi (05-05-17), dstopsie (01-07-17)
Old 01-05-17, 10:13 AM
gth181a
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
Ha, my dealership thinks I am nuts.

I have 4 signs I put inside the car... one just like yours on the gauge cluster, another one on the center console, another one on the dash, and I hang one from the rear view mirror.

Even with all of that, one of their guys almost drove it through their wash once. I may have smacked him if it would have happened.

We give these out to all of our customers as well with hope that they remember to put them up when taking their vehicles in for service... DI Accessories "Do Not Wash" Rear View Mirror Hang Tag
I like that rear view mirror sign! Will have to remember to purchase one on my next detailing order!
Old 01-05-17, 12:01 PM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

I have a rear view mirror sign that came with the stuff when I got my car ceramic coated.

I also tell the intake service manager that it's no wash.
Old 01-05-17, 02:18 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I tell them and normally write a sign on a piece of paper saying do not wash.
Old 01-05-17, 06:28 PM
ROYALISF
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I put a sign up as well. Those clothes car washes make me cringe looking at them. Plus don't want some teen joy riding around the lot!
Old 01-06-17, 01:17 AM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by ROYALISF
I put a sign up as well. Those clothes car washes make me cringe looking at them. Plus don't want some teen joy riding around the lot!
And you know, I made this observation too. Why does Lexus seem to hire these children 18-20 years old to climb into my car to take it to the bay? I don't trust very many people around my car, certainly not some kid with a lack of attention to detail like me. Drives me nuts and when things aren't exactly right, or moved around in my car, settings all jacked up, or damaged...I freak out.

End of rant.

Sorry to hijack

Sal
Old 01-07-17, 08:02 AM
dstopsie
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I made my own do not wash signs on 81/2x11 bright yellow paper, laminated them and hang them in my car like zach does. I also used to tell my service advisor not to wash the car and have him noted on my paperwork. I used to take my car to a car wash until I had it professionally detailed and ceramic coated. At that point I realized the damage that these carwashes were doing to my vehicle and I have never taken my car to a car wash in the last four years. My last four cars have been ceramic coated and I use the rinseless wash and wax method.
Old 01-07-17, 08:15 AM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gth181a
I typically tell the service advisor to make a note on the work order, but one time (with a previous car), that did not work. So now I put a note in the car stating "NO CAR WASH". Too ****? lol.
I like your sign !
Old 01-07-17, 09:07 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

I was tempted to create a sign that said "No wash under penalty of disembowlment by broom brush." That's how they clean vehicles at the dealer I started going to. Same brush for the wheels and body, no rinsing in between. Oh hell no! But they have to worry more about the wrath from my SA if they do anything wrong. She stamps 'no wash' all over the RO. Plus I have the hang tag Zach mentioned. Usually I bring in my RXh clean so they're less likely to make the mistake.
Old 01-08-17, 02:04 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 116 Likes on 89 Posts

lol. I printed like 20 copies and leave them in my glove compartment. DO NOT WASH CAR! In big black bold letters. I also tell the service advisor multiple times.
Old 01-09-17, 10:38 AM
Zelfiris
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I usually..

1. tell the service advisor to note it down
2. put 4 notes of 'DO NOT WASH' on the dash, driver seat, one of the rear windows, and last one on passenger window

So far.. 1 fail and 1 success.
Old 04-12-17, 08:43 AM
iandroo888
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh man... now im curious... when i bought my rx350 into the dealership the first time, they had asked me of i wanted a wash afterwards. I had asked them if they are the touchfree version without those spinning wheels and they said yes. should i not trust them
Old 04-12-17, 09:29 AM
MasonGrey
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by iandroo888
oh man... now im curious... when i bought my rx350 into the dealership the first time, they had asked me of i wanted a wash afterwards. I had asked them if they are the touchfree version without those spinning wheels and they said yes. should i not trust them
It depends how much you care about your paint; if you just want your car cleaned off, go ahead. Seeing as you're on the detailing sub-forum, I assume you care quite a bit so I would avoid it and wash it yourself.
The following users liked this post:
iandroo888 (04-12-17)

Quick Reply: How do you make sure the dealer does NOT wash your car?