Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

leather cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-16, 08:27 AM
cec327
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default leather cleaner

My wife's jacket left stains on the arm rest and the back of the seat. I have used Meguiar's leather and vinyl cleaner but it did not remove the stain. It looks like a dye transfer. I have parchment interior. Any suggestions?
Old 11-20-16, 07:22 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

The longer the stain is on the leather topcoat the deeper it penetrates so time is important.

I'd start with Leather Masters Strong Leather Cleaner. If unsuccessful, I'd move up to Leather Masters Leather Dye Transfer Cleaner.

To prevent this from being a problem in the future, I'd recommend using Leather Masters Protection Cream, one of the few commercial products that actually can prevent dye transfer.

Here’s what I'd do:

Use the CHAT method of leather cleaning which is recommended by virtually all leather professionals.

C = Cleaner
H = Heat
A = Agitation
T = Time (Dwell time)

I'd use Leather Masters Strong Leather Cleaner. You might mix a little hot water with it and squirt some cleaner solution onto a foam pad and squeeze it several times to work up a thick lather, then gently but briskly agitate in circular motions to the stain. Let the foamy mix dwell for a minute or two then wipe up the residue with a clean white, 100% cotton towel, inspecting the towel to see if the stain is being removed. If the towel is not showing any dye pickup and the stain remains, move to the Leather Dye Transfer Cleaner. I'd use a foam pad for the applicator because it is gentle and effective. I'd not use anything aggressive or abrasive on the leather. Things like a Magic Eraser or a stiff brush may damage the leather's thin topcoat.

After drying, I'd apply a thin, even coat of Leather Masters Protection Cream which will prevent dye transfer in the future.
Old 11-20-16, 03:42 PM
integroid
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have used Leather Masters products in the past with great success. If you cannot get the stains off with their products, might need to find a detailer that can use steam to get it out. I would strongly suggest you using a coating to prevent future dye transfer after you get it out. I have used CarPro's Cquartz Leather Coating in my last 3 cars and it works perfectly. Just make sure to follow the directions, be in a well ventilated area, and wear nitride gloves when using the stuff.

http://www.detailedimage.com/CarPro-...1322/30-ml-S1/
Old 11-20-16, 04:16 PM
cec327
Pit Crew

Thank you for the suggestions. I'm taking the car to the dealer on Tuesday. I was told that he would probably be able to remove the stain. I always learn a lot from Club Lexus members.
Old 11-20-16, 04:29 PM
gypsyboots
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar problem and ended up going to a dealer. They did a fine job when all else failed.
Old 11-26-16, 12:10 PM
cec327
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by gypsyboots
I had a similar problem and ended up going to a dealer. They did a fine job when all else failed.
I was put in contact with the guy who does all of the dealer's leather and seat repairs. I met him at the dealership. He took about 20-25 minutes. He said that he had to dye the section. ( about 3" x 1"). He did a great job. Impossible to see the repair. Charged me $25 ( cash naturally). I don't know what the dealer would have charged if I had gone through them. I have his card in case of future problems--I hope not.