Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Obsidian Black very touchy!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-16, 03:57 PM
jklangen99
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Obsidian Black very touchy!

Another post from on my new 2016 GS350. The exterior is Obsidian black and when I got it home last week I immediately buffed out some water spots with a clean towel. I found a scratch and called the dealer and they said they would get their detail guy to work on it. He was not happy that I had used a common towel to wipe off the car. Only quality microfiber. Hand washing - no auto car washes. Two bucket system, chamois, microfiber and wow! My 2003 black GS still looks decent and I did none of that.

Anyway, love the black but what makes this paint job so touchy and easy to mess up? And the detail guy could not make the scratch go away. You can feel it with your finger nail. So is repainting the hood the only option? I will try a couple of other detail guys as well.

Thanks,
Jim
Old 03-25-16, 04:07 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

After getting my black RX in 2012 I decided to never purchase a black colored vehicle ever again. The paint is soft and easily scratches. Plus it's super hard to keep clean. If the scratch isn't that noticeable then just leave it alone.
Old 03-25-16, 04:17 PM
gth181a
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Check out the detailing section. You may be able to find some helpful tips there.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/aut...detailing-122/
Old 03-26-16, 02:19 PM
1111GS

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

You may need what they call paint correction. There are different levels of this type of service. You need a good detailer to do this for you otherwise it will drive you banana if you are OCD about the paint. After paint correction, you should invest into a coating to keep them shine and help ease the (hand) wash. I'm moving your thread to detailing section where you'll get more great advices and hook ups. Good luck!
Old 03-27-16, 05:30 AM
jklangen99
Rookie

Thank you!
Old 03-27-16, 05:39 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Jim,

I'm surprised your dealer, knew about proper care, ie two bucket, etc. Usually they just run the car through a touching car wash.

Yes, obsidian black has a very delicate clear coat, easily bruised by even some microfiber towels. And yes, if you can feel it with your fingernail the flaw probably cannot be buffed out. A very skilled detailer maybe able to remove it or perhaps minimize it.
Old 03-27-16, 08:54 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Fear not! Obsidian black is actually the easiest to fix and match! Simply buy an OEM touch up pen and a few other things like a plastic tooth pic, 2000 & 3000 grit sandpaper, polishing compound like Aerolon Show Polish and some elbow grease. Take your time, have patience and you will more than pleased with the results!
Old 03-28-16, 08:15 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Arguably no other color shines as well or has the same depth as jet black (non metallic black like your GS).

Problem is, it's an absolute nightmare to have on a daily driven car that will see alot of miles, bad weather, and spend lots of time outside. And of course, 99% of the population who think they know how to maintain that paint actually have no clue about it, hence almost every jet black car you will see on the road has a ton of swirls.

My favorite is the Mercedes jet black, paired with their phenomenal hard clearcoat, I believe if you research and properly wash that paint yourself, you will see many years of beautiful paintwork with minimal swirling. Unfortunately, Lexus paint is much softer and more delicate as you have experienced. Even the best "car wash guy" won't be able to keep it 100% swirl free.
Old 03-29-16, 05:28 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Arguably no other color shines as well or has the same depth as jet black (non metallic black like your GS).

Problem is, it's an absolute nightmare to have on a daily driven car that will see alot of miles, bad weather, and spend lots of time outside. And of course, 99% of the population who think they know how to maintain that paint actually have no clue about it, hence almost every jet black car you will see on the road has a ton of swirls.

My favorite is the Mercedes jet black, paired with their phenomenal hard clearcoat, I believe if you research and properly wash that paint yourself, you will see many years of beautiful paintwork with minimal swirling. Unfortunately, Lexus paint is much softer and more delicate as you have experienced. Even the best "car wash guy" won't be able to keep it 100% swirl free.
Name:  17_zps5uf1qmlw.jpg
Views: 2381
Size:  473.6 KB

Yep... we just finished a full correction on a Jet Black Porsche, and it looked absolutely stunning... but I had to explain to the owner that no matter how careful he was, it would never be perfect and that he would need to have a light polish completed from time to time to keep it looking its best.
Old 03-29-16, 11:11 AM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Here's a great example of a Lexus in obsidian black. This was decontaminated, polished, sealed and waxed. Not a very touchy color if cared for properly.

Old 03-29-16, 12:14 PM
jklangen99
Rookie

This forum is a treasure! I sure have learned a lot already. I have a black 2003 GS 300 which although still looks decent is about to get the full treatment from a local detailer before I give it to my daughter. Hope it turns out anywhere close to that picture.
Old 03-29-16, 12:49 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jklangen99
This forum is a treasure! I sure have learned a lot already. I have a black 2003 GS 300 which although still looks decent is about to get the full treatment from a local detailer before I give it to my daughter. Hope it turns out anywhere close to that picture.
I have no doubt it will. Keep in mind I decontaminated, polished, sealed then waxed that LS460 for that shine. Just remember to keep that shine going make sure to use a quality sealant and top it with a good carnuba wax every 2-3 months.
Old 03-29-16, 01:19 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Jekyll
I have no doubt it will. Keep in mind I decontaminated, polished, sealed then waxed that LS460 for that shine. Just remember to keep that shine going make sure to use a quality sealant and top it with a good carnuba wax every 2-3 months.
That hood looks horrible!
I hope you didn't pay the person who did that for you..
You give some great reassuring feedback my friend, and that hood look;s absolutely stellar!
Old 04-01-16, 06:04 AM
1111GS

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Jekyll
Fear not! Obsidian black is actually the easiest to fix and match! Simply buy an OEM touch up pen and a few other things like a plastic tooth pic, 2000 & 3000 grit sandpaper, polishing compound like Aerolon Show Polish and some elbow grease. Take your time, have patience and you will more than pleased with the results!
The professional detailer that corrected my paint said Lexus Black was the worst Black he has worked on. Someone one made a joke before here... OB would get scratched if you stare at it long enough. Regardless, yes, it's the best color when cleaned, shined and scratch (almost) free.

Old 04-02-16, 01:35 PM
charlesatl
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes the black is a very touchy color. I was a little dismayed when I found out because for as much as 460 cost I expected:

1. It to fly
2. Paint to be bulletproof.

But on the other hand it is beautiful when you take the time to really bring out the shine.

Quick Reply: Obsidian Black very touchy!