Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Swirl Marks After Dealer Wash

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-16, 06:36 AM
hziemba
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Unhappy Swirl Marks After Dealer Wash

My 2013 GS350 was in for it's annual service at the Lexus dealer where I bought the car (factory ordered to get the exact configuration I wanted), and I asked that the car NOT be washed, as I always do. When the car was ready, I found that everything was done OK, and the paperwork had the clear notation that the car NOT be washed. When I got to the car, I saw that it had been washed and vacuumed very nicely. I was a bit upset, but no apparent harm, so I didn't say anything.

A few days later, on a sunny day, I left my car in the driveway (almost always garaged). As I was walking away, I looked back at the car, and was horrified when I saw swirl marks all over the hood! I looked closer, and saw that other parts of the car has some swirl marks.

I called the service adviser that I dealt with and told him what happened. He apologized and told me to bring the car in, and they would buff them out - no problem. We picked a day that he would be in, as well as the detailer, so that he could make sure the job was done properly.

I've settled down a bit since I first saw those swirls on my immaculate 3 yr old car. The dealer immediately accepted responsibility, and wants to make it right, so that makes me feel a bit better.

I'm taking it in tomorrow for them to buff out the swirls, and to reapply the paint sealer that they put on a new car. Any things you guys would suggest I look out for??

Note that other than this wash at the dealer, I've exclusively used a new brush-less car wash near my house, with high volume blower drying (no towels), which was producing great results (certainly no swirl marks). I realize that -any- washing causes -some- level of wear (though not usually perceptible), but then sand/soil and stones kicked up on a road do damage as well, so some damage is unavoidable.
Old 03-07-16, 07:23 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

I personally would not allow them to touch the car with a buffer.

I have yet to see a dealership who has a detail shop with enough experience and training to be able to leave a car looking good after buffing it. They tend to use rotary machines and wool pads which will leave holograms and a hazy finish.

In my opinion, it is in your best interest to decline their repair and instead ask for reimbursement to have a real detailer take care of the work. As I see it, you specifically requested for them to not touch your car, they documented the request and still messed up, so they should have to pay to fix it. They cannot just fall back on the fact that they have guys to "buff it out". You should be able to take the job anywhere you want... they should have liability insurance to cover their mishaps like this if they really want, or just suck it up and pay for a proper detail. (do you have proof that it was swirl free before the service?)

Check out this article I wrote that goes through this exact scenario with another club lexus forum member who's car was washed and damaged.
The Real Cost of a “Cheap” Car Wash by Zach McGovern

-Zach

Last edited by zmcgovern4; 03-07-16 at 07:58 AM.
Old 03-07-16, 07:26 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 552 Likes on 401 Posts

I would not suggest having dealer buff your car. I always tape a sheet of paper to rear view mirror written with a sharpie [Do Not Wash Car]. There are plenty of posts on this page on how to properly buff your car. There is typically not good communication between departments at service time on what not to do to car. Next time you visit dealer for service you might want to keep an eye on the car wash area while your car is in for service.

When I bought my 14 RX the dealer had them buff the car before taking delivery. It had the typical wheel marks which didn't really bother me since I knew how to correct the paint once I got it home. I'm sure the car wash guy there won't complain not having to wash your car. Dealer detailing is too much of an assembly line process which results in a car not being properly detailed.
Old 03-07-16, 11:34 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Look for buffer trails. This is what happens with a lot of dealerships, to correct swirls and scratches they have someone often not too experienced run a rotary buffer quickly of the car, they normally do get the deeper scratches and swirls out but they end up leaving buffer trails all over the car by not following with a finishing polish, fully polishing out the surface/breaking down the polish, or not following with a PC. These buffer trails look just as bad if not worse in sunlight and actually fully cover the car though they are a little less noticeable in some other lighting conditions due to the fact they are not nearly as deep as scratches/swirls. Buffer trails can't be washed off either, they must be polished out but they are easy to polish out with a PC and a finishing polish. I have delt many times with correcting buffer trails on people's cars from dealerships or bad/cheap detail places, my parents had them all over the car when the dealer was supposed to polish out some swirls and scratches, they got the swirls but left tons of buffer trails, I told them not to bring it back to the dealership and just let me do it.

You would be better off asking the dealership to reimburse you to have you car taken care of by a republe detailer but it may take a lot of pulling teeth as they are not going to want to pay hundreds of dollars to fix something they could fix for $20-$40 at most.

Last edited by UDel; 03-07-16 at 11:37 AM.
Old 03-07-16, 11:42 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by UDel
Look for buffer trails. This is what happens with a lot of dealerships, to correct swirls and scratches they have someone often not too experienced run a rotary buffer quickly of the car, they normally do get the deeper scratches and swirls out but they end up leaving buffer trails all over the car by not following with a finishing polish, fully polishing out the surface/breaking down the polish, or not following with a PC. These buffer trails look just as bad if not worse in sunlight .....

Here is an example of a brand new Audi that was "buffed out" by the dealership dude.

Looks good to me

-Zach
Old 03-07-16, 05:16 PM
roblim
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

If you love your car, then i would take it to a reputable detailer and try to get reimbursed from the dealer. They will fight it of course, but if you can get them to split the cost, I think that is a win. At 3 years, your car probably needed a good polishing anyways. Find a good detailer.

I also tape a letter size sheet of paper on the dash with NO CAR WASH / DO NOT WASH typed in large font. I also have a hanger from Opticoat that goes on the rear view mirror.
Old 03-08-16, 03:52 PM
hziemba
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

To everyone who responded to my message, thank you!

The matter is resolved, to my satisfaction. When I arrived, the service advisor and head detailer (20+ yrs of detailing experience) inspected the swirls, and agreed that they could correct it; they would compound the whole car, polish it, and apply a Teflon sealer. They said it would take the better part of the day, and gave me a loaner.

When I returned and went over the finished car in bright sunlight, it looked like the day I got it! No swirls or other defects in the finish.

The service advisor suspected that the problem occurred when someone was hand drying, with a contaminated rag.

Not an excercise I'd want to repeat, but good to know that they -are- capable of doing it properly
Old 03-08-16, 06:29 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

I'd recommend waiting a few car washes before completely judging the work... not that every dealer does it, but the majority of them use polishes, glazes, and waxes that help to hide swirls and holograms rather than actually removing them.

Hope it all turns out OK in the end!

-Zach

Last edited by zmcgovern4; 03-09-16 at 08:25 PM.
Old 03-09-16, 06:22 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

What Z said...
Old 03-10-16, 10:05 AM
gth181a
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I always put a Post-It note on the steering wheel or gauges with "Please do not wash car", when the car has to be taken in to the dealer.