Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

CarPro Essence - Primer Polish for CQuartz Coatings

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-15, 09:38 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts
Default CarPro Essence - Primer Polish for CQuartz Coatings

If you follow the news at the SEMA show each year, or are involved in other detailing forums, you may have already seen the latest product announcements from CarPro.

Among several products, I am most excited about Essence Xtreme Gloss Enhancer.

This is a polish that also acts as a primer/surface prep for CQuartz coatings (may also work with other coatings, but this has not been fully tested yet). That means there is NO need for an Eraser or IPA wipe down after polishing. Just polish then coat. This is going to be a great product for the DIYer as this eliminates the risk of scratching the paint while cleaning with Eraser, and also ensures an incredibly glossy finish due to the excellent polishing abilities.

I have been very pleased with this product so far... check out my full review here.
Product Review: CarPro Essence (Initial Impressions) by Zach McGovern

-Zach
Old 11-24-15, 01:29 AM
Lexwerkes
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Zach, thanks for reviewing this product and providing the link. Great results and save time...awesome. Looking forward to your write ups as you use this product
Old 11-24-15, 06:34 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

I've used this on several cars over the last several weeks. Definitely a good product if used properly.
Old 11-24-15, 06:35 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Much more user friendly than Optimum's primer polish for OC Pro.
Old 12-01-15, 05:52 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Name:  12339261_10153779529012363_5536666103045888416_o_zpsklbyntt2.jpg
Views: 600
Size:  180.2 KB

Having fun with the Christmas decorations
Old 12-02-15, 01:10 AM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4

Having fun with the Christmas decorations
Nice pix 👍🏻
Old 12-02-15, 03:59 AM
medomusi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great results and save time...awesome. Looking forward to your write ups as you use this product
Old 12-02-15, 07:06 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by Jbreezie
Nice pix 👍🏻

Thanks .
Old 12-02-15, 12:33 PM
popping
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Awesome pic!
Old 12-04-15, 01:47 PM
PondScum
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just when I thought I had every possible detailing product I could ever need, Zack goes and shows us CarPro Essence and 22ple HPC.
Old 12-04-15, 07:44 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by PondScum
Just when I thought I had every possible detailing product I could ever need, Zack goes and shows us CarPro Essence and 22ple HPC.
Essence and HPC are both great products. I've enjoyed testing them and am currently testing 22ple HPC on top of CarPro Essence to check for compatibility So far, so good.

Here is Essence topped with 22ple VX3.

Name:  20151204-DSC_8692_zpspvkiaia9.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  1.51 MB
Name:  20151204-DSC_8698_zps5nnpc9bd.jpg
Views: 835
Size:  1,022.3 KB
Old 12-05-15, 12:25 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Zach, have you tested Essense much on jet black paint? I've used it on a few jet black cars, 2010+ S550 Mercedes, Tesla P90D , and an Audi S5... I don't want to say my opinion has changed about it, but I did not find it to be the best polish to use on jet black. Didn't finish down as well as other polishes (205, 85rd, OC Primer).

Hoping it might just require a different technique because I'd much prefer to use this than OC primer and straight to coating.
Old 12-05-15, 12:30 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Zach, have you tested Essense much on jet black paint? I've used it on a few jet black cars, 2010+ S550 Mercedes, Tesla P90D , and an Audi S5... I don't want to say my opinion has changed about it, but I did not find it to be the best polish to use on jet black. Didn't finish down as well as other polishes (205, 85rd, OC Primer).

Hoping it might just require a different technique because I'd much prefer to use this than OC primer and straight to coating.
There is certainly some technique involved... have you ever used CarPro Reflect?

Essence utilizes the same abrasives found in Reflect, and it does require a bit of an adjusted technique for optimal results. When I first started using Reflect I was not impressed because I would get marring on jet black as well... then Corey coached me on how to use it.

- Do not prime your pad
- Use 2 small dots of product (perhaps 3-4 small dots on first pass with clean pad)
- Spread product quickly onto working area at machine speed 1
- Begin your first pass at a moderate speed (say around 4 on BOSS or Bigfoot) with medium pressure
- Make 2 slow passes at this moderate speed with moderate pressure (ie up & down, then left to right)
- Make 1 final pass at a slower speed (2.5-3) with no pressure (there should be little to no product left on the surface at this point)
- Wipe residue away (again, there should be very little residue)
- Clean pad & repeat on next section

I feel like the products work best on a bit firmer foam like Rupes Yellow or White pads.

For more cut, it can be used with a MF pad and you would prime the pad first, but then still use just a small amount of working product for each section.

-Zach
Old 12-05-15, 02:58 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

There is certainly some technique involved... have you ever used CarPro Reflect?

Essence utilizes the same abrasives found in Reflect, and it does require a bit of an adjusted technique for optimal results. When I first started using Reflect I was not impressed because I would get marring on jet black as well... then Corey coached me on how to use it.

- Do not prime your pad
- Use 2 small dots of product (perhaps 3-4 small dots on first pass with clean pad)
- Spread product quickly onto working area at machine speed 1
- Begin your first pass at a moderate speed (say around 4 on BOSS or Bigfoot) with medium pressure
- Make 2 slow passes at this moderate speed with moderate pressure (ie up & down, then left to right)
- Make 1 final pass at a slower speed (2.5-3) with no pressure (there should be little to no product left on the surface at this point)
- Wipe residue away (again, there should be very little residue)
- Clean pad & repeat on next section

I feel like the products work best on a bit firmer foam like Rupes Yellow or White pads.

For more cut, it can be used with a MF pad and you would prime the pad first, but then still use just a small amount of working product for each section.

-Zach

Zach, thank you.

I have used Reflect, but probably only a handful of times because for me, it had very short working time and would not remove all compounding haze before it broke down completely. That just turned me away from the product.

I'll definitely try out your instructions with Essense next black car we do. I think the issue for me now is that I was using too much product, so it took a few sides of a MF towel to remove it completely. Perhaps this is also why the product was not finishing down properly due to an oversaturated pad.

Thanks again, will give it another go!
Old 12-05-15, 05:54 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Zach, thank you.

I have used Reflect, but probably only a handful of times because for me, it had very short working time and would not remove all compounding haze before it broke down completely. That just turned me away from the product.

I'll definitely try out your instructions with Essense next black car we do. I think the issue for me now is that I was using too much product, so it took a few sides of a MF towel to remove it completely. Perhaps this is also why the product was not finishing down properly due to an oversaturated pad.

Thanks again, will give it another go!
Exactly.

Both Reflect and Essence do have a short working time, but that is partially because you are using so little product, that the majority of it has evaporated or been soaked up by the pad after just 2-3 passes.

They do not need to be worked extensively for great results. The abrasives break down quite quickly, and using the method I outlined above, I have always had tremendous results removing compounding haze with Reflect, and it worked equally well with Essence.

Removing compounding haze with Essence with yellow rupes pad
Name:  20151112-DSC_8322_zpsd6b84jev.jpg
Views: 789
Size:  812.5 KB

Remocing compounding haze with Reflect on Yellow Rupes pad
Name:  20140804-DSC_2519_zps9403dade.jpg
Views: 565
Size:  309.2 KB

I need to do a video with Reflect and/or Essence to show the technique as most people try to use it like M205 where they prime the pad and then use 2-3 more drops of product... that will almost always lead to marring with Reflect because the product never fully breaks down.

-Zach

Quick Reply: CarPro Essence - Primer Polish for CQuartz Coatings