Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Should I Opti-Coat my leased IS?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-14, 07:39 PM
Aeromotive
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Should I Opti-Coat my leased IS?

Hi all.

Just got my USB IS350 and it's a leased car, so as much as I'd like to maintain it, I don't feel like putting money for the dealership to benefit from in 3 years!
I thought about Opti-Coat which, although useless for rock chips, could help me maintain the paint in the best shape possible. Is this worth it?

Thanks!
Aero.

Last edited by Aeromotive; 05-28-14 at 03:39 PM.
Old 05-27-14, 08:51 PM
Kappy550
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Im having it done as soon as I get my bills payed. Mine is also leased. For me, its all about driving a car that looks its absolute best.
Old 05-27-14, 08:54 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i wouldn't waste my own money on it. Unless you really abuse the paint, it should still look fairly new in 3 years
Old 05-28-14, 06:23 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I put it on mine (3 year lease as well) and would recommend it, if for no other reason than it makes it easier to maintain and keep clean.
Old 05-28-14, 10:38 AM
IS3Fguy
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And to help the dealer to get the best ROI and resale price as possible

I don't put paint coating or clearbra on mine. I was thinking about keeping the car after the lease end, but considering there will be better and newer options after my lease end, I changed my mind.
Old 05-28-14, 11:53 AM
Gravityis
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can someone please tell me the price of getting this done? THANKS!
Old 05-29-14, 05:57 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by tea
i wouldn't waste my own money on it. Unless you really abuse the paint, it should still look fairly new in 3 years
I would not consider this a waste of money by any means... even if it is just a leased vehicle, the benefits of having your vehicle properly detailed and coated are significant. The car will be much easier to maintain, will resist dirt and contamination better than traditional protection, and will look great for much longer.

Originally Posted by Gravityis
Can someone please tell me the price of getting this done? THANKS!
Prices vary greatly depending on your local market, the prep work you are having done, and if you are receiving the Opti-Coat Professional or Opti-Coat 2.0 (consumer) version of the product.
Old 05-29-14, 06:45 AM
IS3Fguy
Pit Crew

I think it all depends your priorities and preference. Do you want to spend hundreds of dollars coating the paint so that the vehicle is easier to clean and looks great all the time, and at the end of the day you will return the vehicle in to dealer? If yes, go for it. Just keep it mind that at the end of the lease, the dealer will also benefit from this without spending extra money since you are the one who will pay for it. If you are okay with this, go for it.
Old 05-29-14, 07:04 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by IS3Fguy
I think it all depends your priorities and preference. Do you want to spend hundreds of dollars coating the paint so that the vehicle is easier to clean and looks great all the time, and at the end of the day you will return the vehicle in to dealer? If yes, go for it. Just keep it mind that at the end of the lease, the dealer will also benefit from this without spending extra money since you are the one who will pay for it. If you are okay with this, go for it.
The argument can be made that if you truly want to maintain your vehicle properly, it should have a new layer of traditional protection (wax or sealant) applied every 3-6 months. If you are not one to DIY, then paying a professional to properly clean and protect your vehicle every 3-6 months will cost more over the course of a couple of years than having opti-coat applied initially.
Old 05-29-14, 08:03 AM
embolism
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Zach, is there any way for a consumer to get their hands on opti-guard? I'd have no issue signing a waiver or anything...
Old 05-29-14, 09:03 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by embolism
Zach, is there any way for a consumer to get their hands on opti-guard? I'd have no issue signing a waiver or anything...
I assume you are referring to Opti-Coat Pro, which was previously referred to as Opti-Guard (now Opti-Guard refers to a series of interior coatings that can be used on Fabric, Vinyl, and Leather).

In any case, a consumer cannot purchase any of the Pro coatings from optimum, and no authorized installer is allowed to sell these products to a consumer. We are bound by contract, and anyone willing to do so would be violating the terms of our agreement with Optimum.

Click here to find an authorized professional installer in your area.

With that being said, Opti-Coat 2.0 is still a fantastic product.

-Zach
Old 05-29-14, 05:55 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have Opticoat on both IS250 and IS350. It makes washing the car a whole lot easier. By the time I rinse the car without even putting any car shampoo on, the car is already clean lol. Also, bird drops can be cleaned right off easily during wash. The water sheeting and beading is just unbelievable. After couple months, the water still sheet and bead like the first day. Therefore drying is so much more easier too.

Other benefits I see are that: bird drops would not etch even if it stays on for 1-2 weeks. The worst it does is staining the coating but only stay on top of the coating and somehow by magic, it disappear after couple days after either washing, or with quick detailer. I can confirm this because my IS350 is parked outside the street and it get 5-10 bird bombs every freaking day!!! Without Opticoat, this car paint must be dead lol!

One best benefit is that I don't need to wax. All i'm doing is washing the car on a weekly or bi-weekly basis and top it off with a quick detailer and it shines like new car.

If you do apply the Opticoat, make sure the PREPARATION is done correctly. Make sure to polish out all the swirl marks, spider web and what not before finishing it with the Opticoat. Once it is sealed and cured in 30 days, whatever condition you have is what you see for a long time.
Old 05-29-14, 07:29 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by IS3Fguy
With that logic, OP should've just gotten a Hyundai elantra since it would be going back, right?

Going back or not, you drive a Lexus - KEEP IT CLEAN

Some people......
Old 05-29-14, 08:12 PM
IS3Fguy
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
With that logic, OP should've just gotten a Hyundai elantra since it would be going back, right?

Going back or not, you drive a Lexus - KEEP IT CLEAN

Some people......
You should learn how to read carefully. Point out where in my post that you quoted I talked about not keeping it clean. The whole thread is about paint coating. Yes paint coating make it EASIER to clean and to keep it clean, but it does not mean that you don't want to clean your car if you don't want coating on your car (can't believe I have to spell this out for you ). You don't have to have paint coating on your car to have a clean car. LOL

So much for talking about logic

Some people .........
Old 05-30-14, 07:20 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by FSportIS
I have Opticoat on both IS250 and IS350. It makes washing the car a whole lot easier. By the time I rinse the car without even putting any car shampoo on, the car is already clean lol. Also, bird drops can be cleaned right off easily during wash. The water sheeting and beading is just unbelievable. After couple months, the water still sheet and bead like the first day. Therefore drying is so much more easier too.
100% agree.

I put CarPro HydrO2 on over my Opti Coat. If you want to see some serious beading and ease of washing, I seriously recommend this. It takes it to a whole new level. The surface becomes incredibly slick.

Quick Reply: Should I Opti-Coat my leased IS?