Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Water-repellant treatment for windows

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-13, 01:12 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts
Default Water-repellant treatment for windows

Just wondering if there's any products you guys recommend for making the windows more water-repellant. Was driving in the rain today and noticed how hard it was to see out the windows when parking. Hopefully you can suggest an easy and cheap fix for this problem. Thanks!
Old 11-22-13, 06:27 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

i would use OC 2.0, but you have to be careful. if you're not sure about applying it yourself then have a detailer apply it. aren't your front windows water repellant? optimum also has a glass sealant that's pretty good.
Old 11-22-13, 06:39 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

RainX not working for you?
Old 11-22-13, 06:39 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Yeah, I had a dude I work with ask me what I use on my windows to make the rain disappear. I told him it's whatever they do to the front windows in the factory....have no touching clue.

Again, not sure why whatever Lexus uses on our windows is so top secret. Why not sell that stuff in a can or something.
Old 11-22-13, 07:27 AM
axiom00
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use Aquapel. http://www.aquapel.com/

Applied every 6 months, once in the Spring and once in the Fall.
Old 11-22-13, 03:58 PM
Dawa
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

rainx is inexpensive and effective. its a few bucks and takes seconds to apply
Old 11-22-13, 05:16 PM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use RainX, works great for me.
Old 11-22-13, 06:30 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Use Optimum Opti-Glass for a long lasting windshield coating.

Purchase here

Opti-Glass Product Review
Old 11-22-13, 07:54 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm a big fan of the Rain-X windshield wiper fluid. It's about 3 bucks and gets the job done with zero effort on your part. Still, I think applying the regular Rain-X by hand is more effective but it requires prep and determination since you're basically waxing your windows.
Old 11-23-13, 06:19 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I use Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax. This is a hydrophobic synthetic sealant that dries streak free and is a wipe-on wipe off application. I find it much easier to use than RainX. I usually use this product on my paint and vinyl trim after every wash anyway so using it on the glass as well is a no-brainer.

I've noticed that as a side benefit, it makes my wiper blades last a lot longer, likely due to the glass being so slick and resisting road film and grime buildup. No wiper chatter either, which I used to get with RainX occasionally.
Old 11-23-13, 09:05 AM
Piraiba
Rookie

I am a big fan of Blackfire Wet Diamond and Wolf's Glass Guard.

Both great products to use, with the Wolf's being more expensive and longer lasting if applied correctly.
Old 11-23-13, 10:21 AM
Nismo
Rookie

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Afrosheen
I'm a big fan of the Rain-X windshield wiper fluid. It's about 3 bucks and gets the job done with zero effort on your part. Still, I think applying the regular Rain-X by hand is more effective but it requires prep and determination since you're basically waxing your windows.
Same here. I started with Rain-X. It works fine but you have to manually reapply it every so often. Being lazy, I experimented with Rain-X's windshield wiper fluid nearly a decade ago. I was originally worried it would do something bad, like clog up the nozzles, hurt the pump, or damage the paint, but nothing bad ever happened. I've used it on all my cars ever since, and it works great. The only downside is it only works on the glass with the washer fluid nozzles. On my cars that means either just the windshield, or the windshield and back glass but not the sides.

If you're after maximum visibility, apply a rain repellent (like Rain-X) to all the glass and also switch to a rain repellent wiper fluid.
Old 11-25-13, 07:11 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Only drawback to all these hydrophobic coatings is the microbeading that looks like smears. In light mist, on high humidity days (or fog), hitting the wipers makes it worse, leaving a wide smear behind that can obscure your vision. You kinda have to be strategic about it or let the automatic wiper system guess for you. In a hard downpour, or at speed on the highway, it's awesome watching the water streak off and not having to use your wipers much if at all.
Old 11-25-13, 10:22 PM
HarrierRX300
Lead Lap

I use Soft99. It's hard to find. I had a friend get it in HK because I couldn't find it in the states.

Old 11-26-13, 01:29 AM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by axiom00
I use Aquapel. http://www.aquapel.com/

Applied every 6 months, once in the Spring and once in the Fall.
I used to use Rain-X until I tried aquapel in January. It was a night and day difference.
It lasted all the way until ~october. It was so good that I almost didn't need to use my wipers at all except in extremely heavy rain. No streaking, no noise from the wiper, great visibility, and with proper application it wasn't visible at all after I removed the excess.

It costs a lot more than Rain-x but considering how long it lasts it's actually not that expensive in comparison just based on how long it lasts. I'd recommend you all try aquapel just once, It's great stuff.

Quick Reply: Water-repellant treatment for windows