Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Official "Look What I Got Today" Detailing Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-13, 02:07 PM
Randre19
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Still waiting on a few things like ONR and a bucket w/ a grit guard but excited to wash my car because its FILTHY from this winter weather. Plan on using the goo gone for swapping my emblems. Bought the scratch repair kit just in case anything little happens. Has anyone used DP Waterless Autowash before? Its my first time purchasing it and it looked pretty interesting.

Any input on that product would be great....thanks!!
Attached Thumbnails Official "Look What I Got Today" Detailing Thread-img_2163.jpg  
Old 12-19-13, 03:47 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

the Goo Gone, Invisible Glass and DP are the only products, ok maybe the scratch x... but take those MF towels back. they are among the cheapest quality towels out. i go into wally world, auto zone, pep boys, advanced auto, o'reilly's and feel the quality of the MF towels they have and shake my head. after you use those towels on your car you will definitely need that scratch x... that's just my opinion. you can also add that wash mitt as a return. just my opinion.
Old 12-19-13, 04:04 PM
Mydogbella
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't mean to hijack...but what towels do you use or recommend?
Old 12-19-13, 04:56 PM
Randre19
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
the Goo Gone, Invisible Glass and DP are the only products, ok maybe the scratch x... but take those MF towels back. they are among the cheapest quality towels out. i go into wally world, auto zone, pep boys, advanced auto, o'reilly's and feel the quality of the MF towels they have and shake my head. after you use those towels on your car you will definitely need that scratch x... that's just my opinion. you can also add that wash mitt as a return. just my opinion.
What towels do you recommend?
Old 12-19-13, 06:44 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
^well said. microfiber is often the most overlooked part of a detailers arsenal of products. Without investing in premium microfiber, the rest of the work you do is useless. The bottom line is that anything that touches your paint needs to be of the highest quality or else you are simply making more work for yourself.

Originally Posted by Mydogbella
Don't mean to hijack...but what towels do you use or recommend?
Originally Posted by Randre19
What towels do you recommend?

This is where I buy all of my microfiber.

Some of the specific towels that I recommend are:

- Waffle Weave Drying Towels - Great for drying, wiping up clay lubricant, cleaning glass, etc.

- Black & Yellow Towels - My go to towel for removing polish, sealant, and/or waxes.

- ReTHICKulous Towel - A very plush towel that is great for applying quick detailers, spray waxes, etc.

- Glass Polishing Towel - A microfiber with very short nap specially made for cleaning glass.

- All Purpose Black Towel - a great towel for safely cleaning wheels, engine bays, exhaust tips and other dirty areas because it does not look ruined after using it due to the black color.

- All Purpose Blue Towels - Great for general interior cleaning

Let me know if you've got any more questions

-Zach
Old 12-19-13, 07:11 PM
Randre19
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
^well said. microfiber is often the most overlooked part of a detailers arsenal of products. Without investing in premium microfiber, the rest of the work you do is useless. The bottom line is that anything that touches your paint needs to be of the highest quality or else you are simply making more work for yourself.

This is where I buy all of my microfiber.

Some of the specific towels that I recommend are:

- Waffle Weave Drying Towels - Great for drying, wiping up clay lubricant, cleaning glass, etc.

- Black & Yellow Towels - My go to towel for removing polish, sealant, and/or waxes.

- ReTHICKulous Towel - A very plush towel that is great for applying quick detailers, spray waxes, etc.

- Glass Polishing Towel - A microfiber with very short nap specially made for cleaning glass.

- All Purpose Black Towel - a great towel for safely cleaning wheels, engine bays, exhaust tips and other dirty areas because it does not look ruined after using it due to the black color.

- All Purpose Blue Towels - Great for general interior cleaning

Let me know if you've got any more questions

-Zach
Literally just purchased all of those and then some about ten minutes ago on detailedimage.com
Im glad i ended up purchasing the products you recommended. These towels are an investment to say the least.
Old 12-19-13, 07:21 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

you made the right choice going with DI... the rethickulous towels are heavenly, makes you want to use it as a washcloth. please do not use any type of MF towel on your car. those viking towels won't go to waste if you don't take them back... you can use them on your wheels and tires. DI has a great assortment of MF towels. chalk it up as money well spent.
Old 12-19-13, 07:36 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by Randre19
Literally just purchased all of those and then some about ten minutes ago on detailedimage.com
Im glad i ended up purchasing the products you recommended. These towels are an investment to say the least.
Glad to hear! The good news is that if you take proper care of your microfiber, it will last you a long time.

Be sure to wash it with a 'clean and clear' type of detergent and do not wash or dry it with any fabric softener!

-Zach
Old 01-04-14, 10:13 PM
phungy
Driver

Where do you purchase Opti-Coat 2.0? I see it on Amazon for $77 shipped.
Old 01-05-14, 06:29 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by phungy
Where do you purchase Opti-Coat 2.0? I see it on Amazon for $77 shipped.
I've got a brand new tube that I would be willing to sell for a discount. Just got it 2 days ago but I forgot I still had 1/2 of a tube, so I don't need a whole new one.

Let me know if you're interested.
Old 01-11-14, 02:31 PM
PondScum
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First order from Detailed Image. Leatherique is for home furniture, not the car (I take much better care of the car!).

The Sonax Brilliant Shine is frozen solid. Not sure how that happened, it's 60F here and doesn't freeze at night. Maybe my package was left on the tarmac at an airport in Idaho or something. It's thawing quickly inside the house, so it must have been frozen recently, not necessarily when it left Detailed Image. FedEx tracking shows it leaving Syracuse, NY on Tuesday and arriving in Sacramento, CA on Saturday, about 12 hours ago (weather in Sac is similar to SF Bay Area today). So maybe it froze on a FedEx truck as it crossed Nevada.
Old 01-11-14, 04:13 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PondScum

First order from Detailed Image. Leatherique is for home furniture, not the car (I take much better care of the car!).

The Sonax Brilliant Shine is frozen solid. Not sure how that happened, it's 60F here and doesn't freeze at night. Maybe my package was left on the tarmac at an airport in Idaho or something. It's thawing quickly inside the house, so it must have been frozen recently, not necessarily when it left Detailed Image. FedEx tracking shows it leaving Syracuse, NY on Tuesday and arriving in Sacramento, CA on Saturday, about 12 hours ago (weather in Sac is similar to SF Bay Area today). So maybe it froze on a FedEx truck as it crossed Nevada.
nice... that brilliant shine is some good stuff, although i'm not sure if it's still any good after it's been frozen. some labels state that the product should not be stored or exposed to a certain temp. 22PLE is a winner and so are the MF towels. i would check and see if that Brilliant Shine can still be used. it's a thick substance, so it may lose some of it's consistency after being frozen.
Old 01-11-14, 07:20 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

As syd said... you'll love all of that stuff! Keep us posted on your thoughts as you use each product
Old 01-11-14, 08:24 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

recent delivered order from Chemical guys...

Items Ordered: Price: Status:
•1 of : Chemical Guys BUFX_104HEX5 - Hex-Logic Light-Medium Polishing Pad, White (5.5 Inch)
$7.99 Shipped
•1 of : Chemical Guys BUFX_302_5 - Black Optics Microfiber Orange Cutting Pad (5.5")
$9.99 Shipped
•1 of : Chemical Guys CWS_101_16 - Maxi-Suds II Super Suds Car Wash Shampoo (16 oz)
$6.99 Shipped
•1 of : Chemical Guys CWS_201_16 - Microfiber Wash Cleaning Detergent Concentrate (16 oz)
$8.99 Shipped
•6 of : Chemical Guys MIC_506_01 - Professional Grade Premium Microfiber Towels, 16" x 16"
$14.94 Shipped

Also BunnyK Foam Gun from Ebay...
Old 01-25-14, 07:03 PM
dagwag77
Driver

This came in today, hope it works as well as advertised! The birds outside my office are way too active...

Official "Look What I Got Today" Detailing Thread-jv7fu9dl.jpg

Quick Reply: Official "Look What I Got Today" Detailing Thread