Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Official "Look What I Got Today" Detailing Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-18, 01:46 PM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
chemical guys strikes again
lol.......
Old 04-11-18, 06:10 AM
Aleximus
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LOL
Hey guys I'm a noob at using decent products to detail a car...I had to start somewhere. If these Fisher Price My First Car Detailing Kit Chemical Guys products turn out to be garbage, I'll step on up to the next better product that I find reasonably priced. Money is no object with regards acquiring my car detailing products, but considering I'm feeling my way through this, I just cannot start out jumping off the top with the products that some or all rave about.

Oh! and I'll keep the cool looking buckets as a reminder of where it all started from.
lol
Old 04-11-18, 08:12 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Aleximus
LOL
Hey guys I'm a noob at using decent products to detail a car...I had to start somewhere. If these Fisher Price My First Car Detailing Kit Chemical Guys products turn out to be garbage, I'll step on up to the next better product that I find reasonably priced. Money is no object with regards acquiring my car detailing products, but considering I'm feeling my way through this, I just cannot start out jumping off the top with the products that some or all rave about.

Oh! and I'll keep the cool looking buckets as a reminder of where it all started from.
lol
Most of us probably started with some type of CG product in our early years of car detailing, but all of the regulars in this section know you'll end up upgrading. It's the natural progression of the members that post in this section.

To say money is no object with regards to acquiring your car detailing products means this hobby can get out of hand very quickly because the large volume of products available. I've been slowly working my way through different types of products for 11 years now and there is still so much more to try.
Old 04-11-18, 10:14 AM
Aleximus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
Most of us probably started with some type of CG product in our early years of car detailing, but all of the regulars in this section know you'll end up upgrading. It's the natural progression of the members that post in this section.

To say money is no object with regards to acquiring your car detailing products means this hobby can get out of hand very quickly because the large volume of products available. I've been slowly working my way through different types of products for 11 years now and there is still so much more to try.
Well, for what it's worth and besides the cool logo, it's good to know that it only gets better when starting out from CG products. I never seen or heard of those products until I started reading this board. I just hope that the quality is at least a little better than my Walmart off the shelf Maguire's detailing products, because if it's not.....can I get a refund?...lol
I think that as I deplete these CG products I'll replace them one by one with products from their competition, instead of getting a throng of shh at the same time. That way I can get a chance to see any differences blow by blow.
Old 04-12-18, 12:47 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

I'm just messing around.... I too was once more fond of the Chemical Guys stuff until I realized there were many other products that I preferred. They certainly know how to market to enthusiasts, and much of their stuff is a step above the general consumer grade stuff found at Autozone.
Old 04-12-18, 07:04 PM
Aleximus
Driver School Candidate

I'm not a psycho drill Sergeant with my car detailing products, so I don't particularly expect world peace results out of these CG products I got. I'm not sure that I will be disappointed with their performance though. Nonetheless, I after get through CG, I will delve into some Adams stuff and Car Pro stuff to see how they stack up.
Old 04-26-18, 04:13 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

It's been a while since I got a new toy. Time to shop for accessories.

If you're wondering why it's inside the car, I didn't account for how tall the box was (which prevented the trunk from closing).
Old 05-02-18, 06:58 AM
k20trick
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 57 Posts

Autogeek pulled through with a suprise
Old 05-06-18, 11:12 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Bought a cheap foam cannon + snub gun combo on amazon for $22 because it was free 1 day shipping

It gets the job done, but I still want the entire mtm combo.
Old 05-23-18, 07:44 PM
k20trick
Instructor

My friends over there @ DetailedImage hooked me up with some products. Looks like CarPro came out with a UK 3.0 version which is supposedly much easier to use in any condition, we will have to see!
Old 06-12-18, 03:51 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Finally pulled the trigger on one of these after years of wanting one. I'm still on the fence if I want to buy all the matching rupes pads.
Old 07-01-18, 09:30 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

My friend was using my PC and the backing plate tore a part, so I have a feeling I'm going to have to throw away most of the pads once he returns everything. I restocked on LC backing plate + pads. Also picked up some Wolfgang leather products to try since "K20trick" praises it so much.
Old 07-01-18, 02:10 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Do you make money detailing? That's an expensive machine to just buff your own car once or twice lol.
Old 07-01-18, 07:52 PM
k20trick
Instructor

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe

My friend was using my PC and the backing plate tore a part, so I have a feeling I'm going to have to throw away most of the pads once he returns everything. I restocked on LC backing plate + pads. Also picked up some Wolfgang leather products to try since "K20trick" praises it so much.

Nice so you invested in a rupees system, should've went for their pads and backing plate as well they created the system to work well together although every rupee user I see uses a mf pad or lc pad odd... Definite the smoothest machine out today.

Yes I enjoy using the Wolfgang leather conditioner, however imo those cleaners do not seem aggressive enough to deeply clean leather in which case I just use a simple all purpose cleaner/super degreaser with various brushes then add the icing on the cake. Heres on that was just cleaned, repaired and conditioned, should've jumped for my leatherique kit I ordered over the weekend, but Ill test that on personal cars before using it on others.

Not perfect, but a lot more pleasing going in and out of the car. It was actually a lot worse than the before pic I took as I took the before pic after several test spots before proceeding with the damaged area.

Old 07-01-18, 11:16 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Do you make money detailing? That's an expensive machine to just buff your own car once or twice lol.
I mostly work on my personal cars, but I take on a few cars (less than 6) a year by special request and that money goes towards funding detailing toys. I got a discount on the rupes, so that was a big motivator to buy it.

Originally Posted by k20trick
Nice so you invested in a rupees system, should've went for their pads and backing plate as well they created the system to work well together although every rupee user I see uses a mf pad or lc pad odd... Definite the smoothest machine out today.

Yes I enjoy using the Wolfgang leather conditioner, however imo those cleaners do not seem aggressive enough to deeply clean leather in which case I just use a simple all purpose cleaner/super degreaser with various brushes then add the icing on the cake. Heres on that was just cleaned, repaired and conditioned, should've jumped for my leatherique kit I ordered over the weekend, but Ill test that on personal cars before using it on others.

Not perfect, but a lot more pleasing going in and out of the car. It was actually a lot worse than the before pic I took as I took the before pic after several test spots before proceeding with the damaged area.
I debated between the rupes or using a different pad system, but it seemed like people were happy with every combination. I'll end up buying the rupes pads in the future, but I have no need for them at the moment. I ordered the LC pads since the PC usually gets loaned out to my friends and LC is the cheapest to replace.

I have a leatherique kit, but I ordered the wolfgang cleaner and conditioner to try for myself. That way I can recommend it to my friends who are looking for something quick and easy to use on their leather.

Quick Reply: Official "Look What I Got Today" Detailing Thread