Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

It's snowing! How do I clean my car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-03, 10:22 AM
FILIPE
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default its SNOWING!!!! HOW DO I CLEAN MY CAR?

Hey everybody i live in CT the northeast and the winters here are ugly, (sand,snow,ice,dirt,salt) i was wondering whats the best way to keep the car clean??? Its kinda too cold to wash it outside, should i just wash it off?? any ideas???
Old 01-12-03, 02:21 PM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know the feeling, Filipe. I usually go to a touchless automatic washing booth. For $5-6, you drive into a bay, and water jets on tracks spin around and wash your car. Starts with a gentle rinse, to get the salt off, then powerful jets off soapy water, then a rinse. You can also pay an extra dollar and get the undercarriage washed as you enter the booth, something I do during the winter.
Anybody else here take their car through these touchless bays? I would never take mine to a gas station bay with the old style brushes. Only touchless or soft-cloth bays.
Old 01-12-03, 04:55 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

I use the touchless for the quick rinse stuff including the undercarriage wash. Its not the greatest nor does it get all of the dirt off, but my brain feels that the car is cleaner. It only gets dirty again. I have opted for one conveyor belt style wash a few times, gets it very clean including the wheels. I had to drive through about 12 in my area to find the one that used the most water and soap while the big brushes were in contact with the car. (I used my friends car for that) I would only do this cause I know my detailer guy put about 4-5 coats of a really good Mother's wax on it before the first snow.
Come spring time, its back to my detailer for some "cleaner wax", it helps remove minimal surface marks left by the brushes. Usually they aren't even noticable.

Reality: cars get dirty in New England in the winter.
Worse Reality: we gotta clean them when its cold.

steviej

Last edited by steviej; 01-12-03 at 11:08 PM.
Old 01-12-03, 08:28 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Touchless spray wash is the safe way to go.

Laserwash 4000 is the touchless I use when it's too cold to hand wash.

http://www.pdqinc.com/laserwash-4000/index.shtml
Old 01-16-03, 02:06 AM
geees300
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

we get snow and all that crap up here too. i alternate the way i wash my cars in the winter. i use the touchless wash with the under carriage wash extra and then i take it to the traditional power wash where i do it myself so i get to blast the salt and debris from the engine compartment and the inside bottom of the doors. road salt during the winter is my enemy.

geees