Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Windshield sealants?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-13, 12:31 PM
LWKT
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield sealants?

Hello all,
I was wondering what products you guys used as windshield sealants. Rain-X is a decent product, but when I used to work for a detail/car wash business, our lead detailer recommended a different product. This was about 2 years ago so I cant remember what product it was, and i'm only just getting my own car, so I haven't thought about it until now. What products do you guys use?
Old 03-10-13, 12:53 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I've personally used, and use, Aquapel. It works well for me, is easily available via eBay, and IMHO is superior to Rain-X. It comes in a single-use applicator. You simply break it to let the product spread on the applicator, wipe it on the windshield to ensure complete coverage, and easily buff it off with a lint-free towel before it completely dries. There is enough product in each applicator for me to do the windshield and large rear hatch window of my RX450h.

There are some other new products on the market some folks like, but from reading, some involve a lot more work to apply them, dealing with their overspray, etc. I'll let others that have experience with them provide input.
Old 03-10-13, 01:05 PM
509IS350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im looking into Carpro Flyby 30. The product claims 8 months of protection.
Old 03-10-13, 01:51 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

i have OC 2.0 on my windshield.
Old 03-10-13, 02:19 PM
AZJoe
Driver

Are there any windshield / glass sealants that protect the glass from scratches and pitting from wind blow sand and dirt ?
Thanks
Old 03-10-13, 02:43 PM
LWKT
Driver School Candidate

Wow. Flyby 30 seems to be an amazing product.
Old 03-10-13, 02:49 PM
LWKT
Driver School Candidate

Are there any thoughts on winter driving with these? In canada theres the slush and dirt crap thats kicked up from the car in front of you, where you generally need to use the windshield washer fluid to clean, or else it will just be streaky. Most of these products say to avoid this.
Old 03-10-13, 10:24 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also use Aquapel on my windshield, it works really well. Applied it about 2 months ago and it still works perfectly fine. Supposedly it lasts up to a year, we'll see.

I like it though, make sure that when you apply it the area is well ventilated, it burns when you inhale it and also burned my eyes a little bit. After that I opened the garage door and never had any problems afterwards.
Old 03-10-13, 11:02 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by AZJoe
Are there any windshield / glass sealants that protect the glass from scratches and pitting from wind blow sand and dirt ?
Thanks
Short answer....no. Maybe they will give a little better resistance from scratches by creating a somewhat slicker surface....but keep in mind glass is like a hundred times harder than any sealant or coating, if the glass get's scratched, than the sealant on top will get scratched a hundred times easier.
Old 03-20-13, 07:47 AM
Shayy
Intermediate

Received 132 Likes on 47 Posts

I use zaino on all my windows. It repels water better on glass than it does on paint. And of course you get the meteor shower look and don't really need to use wipers at higher speeds. But I've also heard good things about aquapel and rainx
Old 03-20-13, 08:48 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by autogeek
Optimum Opti-Glass Coating

Optimum Opti-Glass Coating is the long awaited glass and windshield coating from Optimum Polymer Technologies, one of the leading innovators in surface care protection products. Optimum Opti-Glass Coating is a resin-based glass coating that forms a durable layer of protection against environmental contaminants, leaving your windshield and exterior glass clean and protected.

A properly detailed vehicle starts with a clean windshield. What if we told you there was a product that would keep your windshield clean longer than anything else, while providing rock-chip resistance? There is such a product from Optimum Polymer Technologies and it’s called Opti-Glass Coating!

Optimum Opti-Glass Coating forms a durable, cross-linking bond to glass and other silica-based surfaces, providing the utmost in chip, scratch and mar resistance. Optimum Opti-Glass Coating creates such an immense amount of surface tension on glass surfaces that water will simply bead up and roll off at speeds above 35 mph, rendering your windshield wipers virtually useless at highway speeds!

Optimum Opti-Glass Coating is a must if you live in an area with frequent snow fall. Rain, sleet, ice and snow will not stick to treated exterior glass surfaces, providing you with a clearer view of the road ahead. What’s more, Optimum Opti-Glass Coating lasts up to a year and is incredibly easy to apply!

Directions:

Only apply when the temperature is between 60°-90° F (15°-30°C). Do not apply in direct sunlight.
Thoroughly clean surface and use Optimum Opti-Eraser to remove bonded contaminants. Polish glass if scratches are present.
Before applying, wipe glass down with a 15% solution of isopropyl alcohol.
Spray Opti-Glass directly onto foam applicator pad and apply in an overlapping, circular motion.
Allow Opti-Glass to cure for 2 minutes and remove excess with a clean, dry microfiber towel.
Maintain the glass with Optimum Opti-Glass Clean & Protect Concentrate
Old 03-20-13, 08:56 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

huh since when did optimum make a glass coating? interesting.

I have had the wolfs glass guard all winter, still beads amazing. application is somewhat finicky, you really need to work the product in, and sometimes do a few passes to make sure the product bonds with the glass. basically keep working it in till it starts hazing, but it's good stuff, I've been using it over a year just about. very happy with the durability. sheeting during a wash is nuts with it.
Old 03-21-13, 07:23 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
huh since when did optimum make a glass coating? interesting.

I have had the wolfs glass guard all winter, still beads amazing. application is somewhat finicky, you really need to work the product in, and sometimes do a few passes to make sure the product bonds with the glass. basically keep working it in till it starts hazing, but it's good stuff, I've been using it over a year just about. very happy with the durability. sheeting during a wash is nuts with it.
The Opti-Glass coating is a brand new product