Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Meguiars Ultimate Quik Detailer, Tech Wax 2.0 and Ultimate Quik Wax

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-13, 07:22 PM
wlpncp
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Meguiars Ultimate Quik Detailer, Tech Wax 2.0 and Ultimate Quik Wax

I read somewhere that the proper sequence of product use after washing and drying the car is to apply Ultimate Quik Detailer, then Tech Wax 2.0, and finally Ultimate Quik Wax.

Are all these needed each time I wash the car?
Is that the proper sequence for applying these products?
Should a polish (which one) be applied (how often) before the UQD?
Would Meguiars Ultimate Wax be better (durability/gloss) than Tech Wax 2.0?
How often would the Wax step be needed?

All are to be applied/removed by hand, no D/A buffer unfortunately, so ease of removal is an issue
for me.

This is a brand new car with no visible swirls, etc. It is parked in our garage most of the time.
Old 03-01-13, 03:25 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Let's pick a point in time to discuss what, when, and how. So let's say you've washed the car, clayed the car, polished it and waxed it and after sitting in your garage for a week you notice a light coating of dust or some finger prints from where you were admiring the paint. This is when you'd use Ultimate Quik Detailer and a high quality microfiber to remove the dust. Ultimate Quik Detailer is also helpful to remove fresh water spots, bird poop, or other foreign matter.

A few days/weeks later after taking the car for a drive, you notice a bit more dust/dirt and decide to hand wash the car. As you dry or after you dry the car you use Ultimate Quik Wax to help with drying, maintaining gloss and possibly even boosting your coat of wax.

You continue on this cycle of keeping the car clean, boosting the coat of wax until it's time to wax again. Ultimate Quik Detailer and Ultimate Quik Wax are maintenance type of products to help keep you car looking nice and perhaps stretching the life of your wax. How long between waxing will depend on how often you drive your car, the weather conditions while driving and how often you wash your car. Friction, sunlight, rain, snow, ice, salt, and dirt all shorten the life of your wax.

The decision which is the better wax, is a personal preference between NXT Tech Wax 2.0 and Ultimate Wax, as they are both synthetic waxes. However, Meguiar's indicates the Ultimate Wax has a longer life then Tech.

This may help you understand the cycle as described by Meguiar's.

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...int-Care-Cycle

Other manufacturers have similar suggested programs to maintain the finish on your car.
Old 03-01-13, 06:34 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by wlpncp
This is a brand new car with no visible swirls, etc. It is parked in our garage most of the time.
^Highly unlikely... unless you were there when it came off the truck, and you watched them remove the protective coverings and then you immediately took possession of it. Not trying to be a downer, I've just seen enough new cars that have all been "prepped for delivery" and look absolutely terrible once the glaze wears off.

Here is a brand new IS-F:

^doesn't look bad from a distance in normal light

^Closer inspection shows terrible buffer trails/holograms

^and swirls galore

... all from the dealer "prep" - it is amazing what kind of damage can be done by an inexperienced/untrained "detailer"

*All photos courtesy of Presidential Auto Detailing via Autogeek Forums

Back on topic though... DunWkg's answer was a very good one... no real need to elaborate on that!

Last edited by zmcgovern4; 03-01-13 at 06:38 AM.
Old 03-15-13, 05:31 PM
Luv2run
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ask dealer not to prep car?

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
^Highly unlikely... unless you were there when it came off the truck, and you watched them remove the protective coverings and then you immediately took possession of it. Not trying to be a downer, I've just seen enough new cars that have all been "prepped for delivery" and look absolutely terrible once the glaze wears off.

Here is a brand new IS-F:

^doesn't look bad from a distance in normal light

^Closer inspection shows terrible buffer trails/holograms

^and swirls galore

... all from the dealer "prep" - it is amazing what kind of damage can be done by an inexperienced/untrained "detailer"

*All photos courtesy of Presidential Auto Detailing via Autogeek Forums

Back on topic though... DunWkg's answer was a very good one... no real need to elaborate on that!
Should I ask dealer not to prep my car? will they listen to me>
Old 03-28-13, 12:51 PM
geogolf
Driver School Candidate

Default wax

used it good product
Old 03-28-13, 12:52 PM
geogolf
Driver School Candidate

Default wax

also not to pricey
Old 03-28-13, 12:53 PM
geogolf
Driver School Candidate

Default wax

love the quick detailer.
Old 03-28-13, 09:09 PM
DASMan
Rookie

Originally Posted by Luv2run
Should I ask dealer not to prep my car? will they listen to me>
You should. I did, and they didn't prep the car as I asked. The only thing they would not do for me was leave the protective plastic film on the car. They claimed that they needed to inspect the finish for defects before turning it over to me.

I drove the car over to a detailer right from the dealership for them to "prep".

Last edited by DASMan; 03-29-13 at 05:09 PM.
Old 03-29-13, 10:06 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

If you're planning to do (or have) a full detail as you would if you decline the dealer prep, why not have the dealer do a free "first pass"? They may miss some spots, and may add a few swirls in the automatic car wash, but I have a hard time thinking they will harm it so much that it wouldn't be reversed by a quality detail. All they do is wash it, maybe put on something to hide the swirls, then a sealer of SOME quality. It doesn't seem like there is THAT much downside. True, there may not be much to be gained, either, but I wonder if it's really important one way or another.

Just a thought.