Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.
Old 01-07-15, 04:39 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Cleaning and Detailing Guides
Print Wikipost

Best Product for Removing Swirls in Black Paint

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-13, 09:54 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Find something you like and stick with it. I'm currently using Menzerna Fast Gloss with Meguiars MF pads. Great combo with low hologramming. I usually finish with Menzerna 106FA with a black Lake Country pad.

In the past, Menzerna SIP and 106FA were all I used on the notoriously brutal Jet Black BMW paint. It was the first paint I learned on so I mastered it quick. Combined with the correct pad and Porter Cable, removal of the paint was minimal while yielding amazing results. You'll learn techniques as you go so don't stress too much
Old 02-26-13, 08:03 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by eyezack87
...... You'll learn techniques as you go so don't stress too much
Boy, is THAT the truth! The good news that it's a really rewarding learning process.
Old 02-26-13, 12:40 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Menzerna FG4000 and a Rupes Bigfoot.
Old 02-26-13, 12:57 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
Menzerna FG4000 and a Rupes Bigfoot.
**FG400
Old 02-26-13, 07:02 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
**FG400
i was just about to correct that... thanx buddy.
Old 02-26-13, 09:23 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Lol how bad is your paint that you are using FG400 on your Lexus? That is so overkill I don't even want to go there.If you plan on keeping your car for a while....remember to keep the polishing and corrections to a minimum.

It's the maintenance and upkeep that really makes the difference. Wash and maintain your car in a way that you are not adding more damage. That means using a good LSP and washing method. Ideally you'd want a pressure washer.

But yeah, I'd think twice before polishing your car with FG400 like it's no big deal... remember the more clear you remove, the less UV protection you have on the paint. If you polish the paint that aggressively on a consistent basis, you're gonna run out of clear to work with and ultimately done more damage than good.

ALWAYS try the least aggressive method first, especially if you're just beginning and have no idea how hard or soft your paint is. Sure the FG400 will remove the swirls and minor scratches, but maybe a much less aggressive polish would have done the job and in the process finished out better? Only way to know for sure is to try least aggressive first and move on to a combo that yields the results you're after.
Old 02-27-13, 07:31 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Lol how bad is your paint that you are using FG400 on your Lexus? That is so overkill I don't even want to go there.If you plan on keeping your car for a while....remember to keep the polishing and corrections to a minimum.
^I'd have to agree that if you are regularly polishing your car - FG400 is most likely not the right choice... unless you are washing your car with a scotch brite pad and a bucket of sand

It's the maintenance and upkeep that really makes the difference. Wash and maintain your car in a way that you are not adding more damage. That means using a good LSP and washing method. Ideally you'd want a pressure washer.
^ Best advice anyone can give. Use proper washing and drying techniques and you won't need to polish your car except for a touch up every year or two. I tend to hit mine with M205 or even SF4500 to restore some gloss every year or so at most. My finish tends to stay nearly swirl free for quite a while by utilizing the two bucket wash method with grit guards.

ALWAYS try the least aggressive method first, especially if you're just beginning and have no idea how hard or soft your paint is. Sure the FG400 will remove the swirls and minor scratches, but maybe a much less aggressive polish would have done the job and in the process finished out better? Only way to know for sure is to try least aggressive first and move on to a combo that yields the results you're after.
^ Also sound advice. I was able to initially correct 90% of the defects in my paint with M205 and a black pad... some areas required an orange pad if I remember correctly. Either way - both combos are quite tame.
Old 02-27-13, 09:32 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

I'm trying to put some money together for a good pressure washer this summer for personal use. It's not REALLY needed because so many of today's good coatings are slick and make it easy to wash using the regular two bucket method and garden hose, but I can't stop thinking of all the videos where Opti-Coated cars + pressure washers = dirt and bugs just rinsed off without even touching the paint.

The washing technique is really up to you and what you prefer. Some people swear by using ONR. I've done it several times, but it's not my preferred way of washing. So it's more of a personal preference whether you choose to use a waterless/rinseless/traditional method of washing. You just need to understand there is a time and place for all of those and one might be a better idea than the other in some instances.
Old 02-27-13, 03:42 PM
Sevenevez
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Let me chime in real quick. My paint looked good in most light. But once i put a shop light on it i was blown away by the swirls. I used the Griot's Garage Random Orbital with white 6in pad with Meguiars Ultimate Compound and then Tech Wax2.0 and the results blew me away.

Before and Afters

Old 02-27-13, 05:28 PM
digger08
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Here's a video with Mike Phillips actually working on a Black IS250, with all of the tools were talking about.

Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=zUHRnHsSXZU#!

Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=zUHRnHsSXZU#!

Part 3

Digger08

Last edited by digger08; 02-27-13 at 05:36 PM.
Old 02-27-13, 05:55 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Great work Sevenevez!
Old 03-01-13, 07:11 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sevenevez, definitely an overkill for most people, but it looks like you ran your pictures through Neat Image, literally. Lol.

From my perspective, I would go only so far as my naked eye can see in good daylight. To that point, what will work best for the Obsidian Black on the IS250?
Old 03-01-13, 07:36 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by chikoo
Sevenevez, definitely an overkill for most people, but it looks like you ran your pictures through Neat Image, literally. Lol.

From my perspective, I would go only so far as my naked eye can see in good daylight. To that point, what will work best for the Obsidian Black on the IS250?
^Definitely NOT overkill. Whether you have a DD or a show car, there is no reason you shouldn't be able to properly maintain your paint. This is a perfect example of using OTC products (Meg's UC) to restore a gorgeous finish to your vehicle. I personally would have followed up with a finishing polish to be sure I got every bit of depth and gloss possible out of that paint.

Once you restore your paint to proper condition, you should not need to polish again for quite a long time... and when the time comes it should not need to be nearly as aggressive as the original correction. Proper washing, drying, and protection techniques make ALL the difference in maintaining a swirl free finish.
Old 04-04-13, 08:01 PM
FinLIFE
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Is there a "kit" you guys would recommend when working on a black car? or different companies offer different products where one is better than the other?

I need my car done soon cause after looking at it in the sun today, it started to really bother me. Ive done detailing before, but I currently dont have any of my own good products to use and I was either going to take my car to someone to do it or I thought about doing it myself. I have a black 2001 GS btw.

thanks
Old 04-04-13, 08:21 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Chris, just get a porter cable or the Griots DA polisher along with several Lake Country orange and Crimson 5.5" pads. For polish, I would either go with D300 or Menzerna SIP for the first step, and finish with either Menz. 106FA/85RD or Sonax Perfect Finish.

Menzerna are amazing polishes, it's what I use on my own car....but if you can get your hands on the German version of the Perfect Finish... it's all you will ever need to maintain your car. It's an unbelievable polish to work with.

If you need your car done, PM me dude. Don't go to those buff and shine **** shops that you think are going to do anything but throw a glaze with a rotary on it in an hour. I now work with Ivan at LUSTR Auto Detail part time...and I can tell you some of the cars we do are just so trashed, you can't put words to it. Either get the kit and take the time to do it yourself or just leave it with swirls... I honestly believe that's better than having retards burning your paint and leaving holograms all over.

Roman

Quick Reply: Best Product for Removing Swirls in Black Paint