Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

what is the best leather cleaner product out there ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-12, 12:44 AM
modthispny
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

one more question, when i clean the leather, either woolite or leather master cleaner, is the protection cream necessary?

also, i saw on this forum the leather master cleaner, they have different versions, since my car is brand new, do i need the strong kind?

thanks
Old 12-30-12, 07:05 AM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by modthispny
one more question, when i clean the leather, either woolite or leather master cleaner, is the protection cream necessary?

also, i saw on this forum the leather master cleaner, they have different versions, since my car is brand new, do i need the strong kind?

thanks
I believe that if you have lighter colored leather, a protector is essential to maintain its original appearance for a long time. A leather protector (water-based fluorocarbon protectant) is the only thing that will prevent dye transfer from jeans, leather belts and other dyed material from permanently staining the leather topcoat. Conditions will not.

I personally buy the LM Strong Leather Cleaner. If the job doesn't need the stronger cleaner, I cut it 1:1 with water to equate to the Soft Leather Cleaner product. If I had bought the LM Soft Leather Cleaner and encountered heavier soiling, I couldn't make the cleaner stronger so for me the Strong product is my choice as I then have the flexibility of choosing my dilution.

Last edited by jfelbab; 12-30-12 at 07:11 AM.
Old 12-30-12, 10:34 PM
modthispny
Lead Lap

just purchased through amazon, since the car is new, i went with the soft cleaner. what do you recommend as far as applying the actual cleaner and protection cream? cotton towel work or do i need a foam pad for actually applying the cleaner/protection cream.

and do i only need to wipe down with a cotton towel when i clean, or do i need to also wipe down when i use the protector cream and spray the quick interior detailer, and the cotton down, dry, or wrung out?

will let you know when i get the product for further instructions.

thanks!!

Last edited by modthispny; 12-30-12 at 10:56 PM.
Old 12-31-12, 07:45 AM
jfelbab

just purchased through amazon, since the car is new, i went with the soft cleaner. what do you recommend as far as applying the actual cleaner and protection cream? cotton towel work or do i need a foam pad for actually applying the cleaner/protection cream.

and do i only need to wipe down with a cotton towel when i clean, or do i need to also wipe down when i use the protector cream and spray the quick interior detailer, and the cotton down, dry, or wrung out?

will let you know when i get the product for further instructions.

thanks!!
I can only tell you what I do.

Lots of detailers have their own favorite products, as do I, but it's really all about the process. The process will keep the leather clean and hydrated. Do this, and your leather should remain in good condition for many years.

I deep clean my auto leather every 2-3 months depending on how soiled it gets. Before beginning I vacuum the interior thoroughly. I use the cleaner and apply with a foam pad. I wet the pad with the cleaner and squeeze it several times to work up a lot of foam. I gently agitate a small area at a time and let it dwell for a minute or two. This allows the chemical to dissolve the soil and clean the surface. I next wipe up with a wrung out white cotton towel to remove all the soil and cleaner. I examine the towel to see that it has removed the soil. This is why I like a white towel. I repeat if necessary until the towel comes up clean when I wipe up the residue.

I then buff the leather dry with a clean dry cotton towel and let the leather air-dry for around 15 minutes before applying the protection. I use a foam pad here as well. I apply in circular motions and strive for thin, even coverage. I let this dry for another 10 minutes, then gently buff again with a clean cotton towel.

Weekly, I vacuum and then wipe down the leather with a cotton hand towel moistened with Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer (QID, a.k.a. D149 in their detailer line). Water is good as well. The goal is to remove any dust and grime along with any body oils. This weekly process also has the added benefit of rehydrating the leather. Leather cannot directly absorb water due to its urethane coating but it does absorb moisture through a process called transpiration. In essence, the wet wipedown raises the humidity level and this is picked up by the leather fibers. This frequent rehydration helps the leather to remain plump and soft. This reduces the number of and severity of creases and cracks down the road as the leather ages. Dry leather shrinks and moist leather swells. The urethane topcoat does neither, so there are stresses caused by the drying and rehydration of the leather that you want to minimize to reduce these creases.

Like all detailers, I have my favorite products. I prefer to use Leather Masters for cleaning and protecting my leather but there are others. I've found products that work for me and I tend to stick with them. Same for using Meguiar's QID (D149) which I buy in bulk gallon sizes. I use QID for leather, vinyl and even on NAV LCD screens. It does offer UV protection and does not add any gloss. I also use it for routine household cleaning of my leather furniture, plasma TV and computer screens.
Old 12-31-12, 08:47 AM
modthispny
Lead Lap

very thought out and informative post, thanks Jim!

my car is a lease and will go back in 27 months, maybe 33 or 39 months if i extend it, i just want a shine free interior in the period i am leasing the car =)

thanks
Old 01-03-13, 09:12 AM
modthispny
Lead Lap

Jim,

thought i would just post this question in here.

what is the best way to clean interior plastics/soft rubbers? for example, stereo *****, mouse for the navi, etc.

i'm guessing the quick interior detailer?

i wash my hands thoroughly every time before i drive, but i still expect the plastics to wear and become shiny.

thanks
Old 01-06-13, 04:15 PM
modthispny
Lead Lap

just finished cleaning the inside of the car with QID for the first time. i can definitely feel that the seats got a bit softer.

did not do a leather clean yet with leather masters, car is still only a month old and the seats do not look dirty at all. i will keep an eye on the seats and possibly do a deep clean within a month or two.
Old 01-06-13, 06:55 PM
jfelbab

Jim,

thought i would just post this question in here.

what is the best way to clean interior plastics/soft rubbers? for example, stereo *****, mouse for the navi, etc.

i'm guessing the quick interior detailer?

i wash my hands thoroughly every time before i drive, but i still expect the plastics to wear and become shiny.

thanks
Sorry it took so long to respond but I was on a 1500 mile road trip. I just got my RX330 back into pristine shape this afternoon. I've found the perfect way to resolve the snow, salt and ice issues I had in WI. I took it to Cape Coral, FL for a vacation.

QID (D149) is the product I reach for when doing maintenance cleaning of all interior plastic, vinyl, leather including gauge clusters and NAV LCD screens. For the rubber door trim I use Meg's Vinyl and Rubber Cleaner & Conditioner (M40). You could also use their Ultimate Protectant for this. It dries quickly and is not greasy.
Old 01-06-13, 09:07 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

Nothing gave me the results that I have seen when using the Leatherique twins. It's not the quickest or cheapest cleaning system, but it's well worth the price. The results speak for themselves.
Old 01-06-13, 09:54 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,039 Likes on 2,553 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Nothing gave me the results that I have seen when using the Leatherique twins.
Same. I've used several other products such as LM, they didn't come close to the cleaning and restoring capabilities of Leatherique. It's not even a contest. Not to say products like LM are are bad, they are not and serve a purpose. But Leatherique is the only thing I've seen that will clean and restore leather without using soap, scrubbing, abrasion etc. In fact the restoring process is incredibly easy! And it makes the leather supple and even takes out minor stretching and wrinkles. The only other product I've seen do this is mink oil, but that is not suitable for the urethane finish used on most auto upholstery.

A friend of mine got some front seats from a salvage yard for his car, the leather was not torn but was filthy dirty, both from lack of maintenance and from sitting out in the yard. Leatherique completely restored them to like new condition, the only thing it didn't do obviously is fix some minor cracking in the finish. But the results are simply phenomenal. The only downside to me is the cost.

So to answer the original question. Leatherique is easily the best leather cleaner.
Old 01-20-13, 10:59 PM
modthispny
Lead Lap

Jim,

did my first deep clean, have the car for 6 weeks now, thought i would start doing it. followed your instructions and didn't really pick up any dirty after letting the cleaner dwell, which is a good thing. the seats didn't look dirty either before i started.
but i love how soft the protectant has made the leather, especially the steering wheel. it's gotten a lot grippier but stil maintained the matte/new look. seats and center console are a lot softer as well.

thanks for the help, wil continue using the QID for now and see how the seats hold up next 2-3 months.
Old 01-21-13, 06:46 AM
jfelbab

Jim,

did my first deep clean, have the car for 6 weeks now, thought i would start doing it. followed your instructions and didn't really pick up any dirty after letting the cleaner dwell, which is a good thing. the seats didn't look dirty either before i started.
but i love how soft the protectant has made the leather, especially the steering wheel. it's gotten a lot grippier but stil maintained the matte/new look. seats and center console are a lot softer as well.

thanks for the help, wil continue using the QID for now and see how the seats hold up next 2-3 months.
Thanks for the follow-up. Followers of this thread all benefit from your experience. Please continue to let us know your results going forward.
Old 01-21-13, 08:55 AM
modthispny
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jfelbab
Thanks for the follow-up. Followers of this thread all benefit from your experience. Please continue to let us know your results going forward.
will do!

thanks again
Old 02-04-13, 03:30 PM
Fation
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This product from Hi-Tech (http://www.autodetailingsolutions.net/ms-12.html) is great for shampoo on your seats, removes all dirt, oils..etc Then follow up with leather conditioner after to protect and you should be set.
Old 02-13-13, 09:31 AM
LuiB
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lexol cleanner and conditioner are great products. I've used meguiar's gold-class leather cleaner in the past and it is good stuff!

Quick Reply: what is the best leather cleaner product out there ?