Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Cleaning Kit in trunk. What do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-11, 12:31 PM
DaftBeats
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning Kit in trunk. What do you use?

Just got a 3GS , obsidian black.

I want to put together a little tray/kit to keep in the trunk to help keep the car clean, for when i'm on the go.

ie. bird ****, finger prints/oil, small scratches, water marks.

Just curious to see if anyone else does this? and what products do you guys recommend for things like the above mentioned. so far my kit consists of a tray , windex, goo gone, and microfiber towels.

not only including exterior, but interior too, like if someone spills something on the leather or carpet.

your thoughts are appreciated. thanks.
Old 11-08-11, 01:14 PM
embolism
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

goo gone is pretty strong stuff. I wouldn't use it mobile unless there was a lot of water readily available to flush it away afterwards. In fact, the only time I've ever used it was to remove weight adhesive from my wheel barrels.

all you really need is a bottle of quick detailer, maybe a window cleaner, some water, paper towels, hand sanitizer, and microfibres.

To get rid of a dried bird bomb, fold a paper towel into a square, wet it, then put it over the bomb to soften it. After about 5 minutes, scrunch/lift the bomb off. Do not rub. Once all the grit is removed, go over the area with a fresh paper towel, then some QD on a microfibre.

people do not eat in my car. They are allowed to drink water. Interior problem solved.

Last edited by embolism; 11-08-11 at 01:20 PM.
Old 11-08-11, 01:26 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

If it were me, I'd put two products in the truck. The Optimum No-Rinse (ONR) and the Optimum Power Clean (OPC). You can use the OPC for exterior and all interior surfaces, even leather, and engine bay. The ONR is a great product for quick detail work that doesn't require a stronger solution.

Also a good number of clean microfiber towels. That's really all you need on the go.
Old 11-08-11, 01:30 PM
DaftBeats
Driver School Candidate

awesome , thanks guys, really appreciate the insight.
Old 11-08-11, 11:32 PM
LexyISF
Pole Position

ONR is awesome stuff! I go that one step further and use the optimum opti-clean. Pretty much the same stuff, just more of a waterless wash than QD. I keep a spray bottle of this in the trunk, as well as some MF cloths, and window cleaner.

All you need is a QD, window cleaner, and some cloths as already mentioned.
Old 11-09-11, 05:45 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I'm frequently on the road, occasionally for months at a time. Here is my travel kit. Its an old Targus computer bag so it doesn't take a lot of space. Not much I can't deal with while on the road.

Old 11-09-11, 06:57 AM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by LexyISF
ONR is awesome stuff! I go that one step further and use the optimum opti-clean. Pretty much the same stuff, just more of a waterless wash than QD. I keep a spray bottle of this in the trunk, as well as some MF cloths, and window cleaner.

All you need is a QD, window cleaner, and some cloths as already mentioned.
I would add something like a "Scratch-X" to the list to address his small scratches requirement
Old 11-09-11, 07:09 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by jfelbab
I'm frequently on the road, occasionally for months at a time. Here is my travel kit. Its an old Targus computer bag so it doesn't take a lot of space. Not much I can't deal with while on the road.

^That is EXACTLY what I carry LOL!
Old 11-09-11, 07:24 AM
jfelbab

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
^That is EXACTLY what I carry LOL!
BTW, I spent a tour of duty at Ft. Lewis. I loved Seattle & Olympia and I spent a good deal of time in Tacoma. It nearly always rained, but when it was sunny and clear I knew it was going to rain soon. LOL. This was back in the early 60's.

Thanks for your service.

Jim
Old 11-09-11, 03:53 PM
DaftBeats
Driver School Candidate

OMG, that's so awesome! I'm making a list of your stuff as we speak now! thanks for the pic!
Old 11-09-11, 05:30 PM
jfelbab

Originally Posted by DaftBeats
OMG, that's so awesome! I'm making a list of your stuff as we speak now! thanks for the pic!
I've changed out a couple things since I took that photo.

I now use Meg's Ultimate Liquid Wax in place of NXT Tech Wax 2.0. I also changed out the Meg's Natural Shine with Meg's Ultimate Quik Wax. I don't use a dedicated vinyl treatment any longer. The carpet cleaner is now replaced by Quik Out.

You won't find the Meg's Quik Suds Car Wash Strips either. These are highly concentrated car wash wafers that really work well. Sadly, they are not available any longer.

Last edited by jfelbab; 11-09-11 at 05:33 PM.
Old 11-09-11, 11:21 PM
LexyISF
Pole Position

you just need a polisher in there and you'll be a mobile detailer!
Old 11-20-11, 11:30 AM
irishcharm
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what's all in your "kit", i cant make out some of the items. good looking kit though
Old 11-20-11, 12:00 PM
jfelbab

Originally Posted by irishcharm
what's all in your "kit", i cant make out some of the items. good looking kit though
Top row, rom left to right: Leather Master Strong Leather Cleaner, Leather Masters Protection Cream, Meguiars Natural Shine*, Meguiars Quik Detailer, Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Detailer, Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax, Meguiars Quik Interior Detailer, Meguiar's Quik Wheel Detailer, Meguiars NXT Tech Wax 2.0**, Meguiar's Endurance Tire Shine, Meguiar's Carpet Cleaner***, Meguiars, Glass Cleaner****,
Middle row: Meguiars Ultimate Wipe Microfibers, Meguiars Supreme Shine Microfibers, Meguiar's Quik Suds Car Wash Strips,
Bottom Row: Meguiars Foam applicator pads, Meguiars microfiber applicator pads on top of more Supreme Shine Microfibers, Meguiar's ScratchX
Also in the bag are two Meguiars Water Magnet Drying Towels.

* No longer used - replaced by Meguiars UWQ
** No longer used - replaced by Meguiars Ultimate Liquid Wax
*** No longer used - replaced by Meguiar's Quik Out
**** No longer used - replaced by Meguiars Perfect Clarity Glass Cleaner
Old 11-20-11, 01:42 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

You won't find the Meg's Quik Suds Car Wash Strips either. These are highly concentrated car wash wafers that really work well. Sadly, they are not available any longer.
Ahem...

Big Mack

Quick Reply: Cleaning Kit in trunk. What do you use?