Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Detailing results after my first go around (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-11, 08:45 AM
Nuckingfut
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Detailing results after my first go around (pics)

Well I haven't detailed a car since I was in HS and even then I wasn't doing it right. So I read through the detailing guide at the top of this forum to get skool'd on the latest and greatest. For the cost of a single full paint detail I could round up all materials needed to do it myself (minus the sweat)...so why not.

As I made my shopping list of products that you guys held high on your list I quickly discovered that most of these products aren't in stock around town. I was also pretty hesitant to go the PC orbital route my first go around so yeah I wussed out and went hand app. I also decided to settle on what I could find here in town which ended up being:

Meg's Gold Carwash concentrate
Mother's Clay bar kit
Meg's Ultimate Polish
Meg's Deep Crystal Wax
Meg's Ultimate Quick Detailer (for later)
Some microfiber towels & The Absorber (this thing's cool!)
Also picked up some rain-x anti fog for the inside windows.

Well, 5+ hrs later here's my take. The clay bar thing works really well and I could feel a texture difference right away. Post wash, this translated into a noticeably nicer look but I could see minor stroke marks from the clay which I didn't like. Meg's Gold wash with a new mit did a great job of removing all the lifted grime. Next up was the Ultimate Polish, I applied to entire trunk lid & roof top then only to half of the hood. I then pulled outside to inspect the progress. Honestly I couldn't see any difference in shine, depth, or clarity over the not applied sections. So I just skipped this step all together and moved on to waxing. My only other complaint with this UP is the working time.....VERY SHORT. I couldn't do more than a sq.ft. at a time before it dried to hard to remove crust. Blahhh!

The Meg's Deep Crystal wax on the other hand was a joy to apply & remove. I could see spending my Saturday mornings with a large cup of joe laying down several coats of this product. Im not sure how much this type of wax contributes to shine but to me it seemed to take this paint to the next level. I only put one coat on for the pictures but a second & third coat are in the works (waiting for microfiber cloths to wash/dry).

I hope you enjoy, I know I will. Oh, and thanks for all the info here on this forum. Good stuff!

Old 09-29-11, 02:36 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Nice looking car.

FWIW, the Deep Crystal won't layer so putting down an extra coat just removes the prior one. If you like the look of Deep crystal I think you would really like Meg's Gold Class Wax, which shows an ever deeper gloss.

Great job on the photographs, BTW.
Old 09-29-11, 04:50 PM
Nuckingfut
Driver

Originally Posted by jfelbab
Nice looking car.

FWIW, the Deep Crystal won't layer so putting down an extra coat just removes the prior one. If you like the look of Deep crystal I think you would really like Meg's Gold Class Wax, which shows an ever deeper gloss.

Great job on the photographs, BTW.
Hey, good tip on the two coat! I'll stick with my Meg's quick detailer for now then.
Old 09-30-11, 05:55 AM
Infamous 1
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great job! When you start buying the more professional line products, you'll see a difference in quality. And the PC is a great product and easy to use and beginners and pros.
Old 09-30-11, 09:42 AM
SBCsx
Driver School Candidate

damn that thing is so shiny!
Old 09-30-11, 02:25 PM
imherenow
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ya that looks shiinnnyy....u should put more pictures..m drooling..
Old 09-30-11, 03:35 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Very nice...

A bit confused as to the Megs UP.... why would you layer a polish? I don't understand.

Is it an actual polish that is aimed at removing mild imperfections like swirls, mild rids, etc? Or what?
Old 10-02-11, 06:26 PM
Nuckingfut
Driver

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Very nice...

A bit confused as to the Megs UP.... why would you layer a polish? I don't understand.

Is it an actual polish that is aimed at removing mild imperfections like swirls, mild rids, etc? Or what?
No, layering the deep crystal wax only. I gave up on the UP app by hand but I'll keep it on hand if I decide to give an orbital a try.

I'm gonna try my California duster & the quick detailer tonight. This is my planned weekly maintenance for now. Thanks for the compliments from everyone!
Old 10-05-11, 07:20 PM
LDNN
Driver

Man, my car is the same color...I'm inspired to spend 5 hours on the detailing job now.