Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

should i do it myself?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-11, 03:53 AM
RuninRoach
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default should i do it myself?

2004 - RX300 (yes it is a possible option here in Asia).
Problem: In Hong Kong
State of car:
Filthy - Not washed in a month as i haven't been to it for a bit.....and wife...well lets not go there.
Swirls - Lots on body and on windshield and on Roof (one of those big glass sunroofs that extend half of the roof).
Water Access:No access to water hose
Park in public lot - about 150m to closest source of water
Buckets: Two of those portable camping buckets
Cleaning mit: Can't find one but will do
Car Products Available: Meguiars, Mothers, Turtle Wax or Zaino. Optimum not available (i've checked 14 stores...)
Experience in self detailing: I've washed my car with Dawn and spray waxed it. I don't know if reading the past 100 threads of detailing forum counts.
Cost of professional (well thats debatable here) detail: around USD $200.
access to power outlet: None - could possible get a lighter adapter (12v) buffer machine.

Considering all this and that i am keen to do it myself, but am just afraid i'll mess it up rather than make things better.

Options:
A:
Day 1
1/. Go through touchless car wash
2/. drive to parking lot and start and finish clay baring whole car (use
meguiars smooth surface clay kit)
3/. SwirlX/Scratch X with 12v lighter adapter buffer
Day 2
4/. Do a quick wash and dry to get rid of anything that settled overnight
5/. Meguiars Deep crystal polish with 12v ligher adapter buffer / hand
Day 3
6/. Meguiars wax...don't know which one.

B:
Pay the $200, get someone else to do it for the first time and then just keep it maintained with....don't know what products to use for maintaining...

Last edited by RuninRoach; 05-30-11 at 03:54 AM. Reason: forgot car make model...
Old 05-30-11, 07:13 AM
embolism
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what colour is the car? Do you drive it daily? Is it exposed to the elements 24/7 or covered in an underground garage?

I've never even heard of a buffer that runs off a cigarette lighter. Can't imagine that it would be any good at correction, maybe for putting on a thin coating of wax but that's it. If you have bad swirls then scratch X won't do much even with a proper buffer. You need something like M105 or Ultimate compound. And forget about getting the swirls out of your glass roof and windshield without some specific glass polishing compounds as it is way harder than paint.

I've always been a proponent of doing things yourself but in your case, it might be best to take it to a pro (verify this though -- ask for 50/50 shots of their work, what tools/products they use, and stay away from guys that tell you they can do it by hand and they don't need a machine).

Then you have 2 options:

option 1: invest in some waterless wash concentrate (get someone to bring it over for you), a grit guard or two, microfibres, some paint cleaner, maybe a glaze to hide future swirls, and Collinite 845.

option 2: order and apply opticoat 2.0 permanent coating (maybe the pro offers this). It is like adding a layer of clearcoat to your car. It won't make it bulletproof but it will allow for easier cleaning and maintenance with much more resistance to wash induced swirling.

Last edited by embolism; 05-30-11 at 10:03 AM. Reason: reread post
Old 05-30-11, 11:07 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you don't have the time to maintain it or do it yourself, I'd recommend getting a professional to do it then apply Opticoat 2.0. I can ask around for Meguiars HK detailers or point you in the direction of one person. I believe he should be back in HK by now