Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

GS wheels damaged by detailer....need advice and opinions

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-10, 08:41 AM
wmr71
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS wheels damaged by detailer....need advice and opinions

Hello,
Firstly to the mods.... I didnt know exactly where to put this thread as I knew there would be some detailers that had some experience with damaged wheels but I also know that there are gs owners that may be able to chime in too. Is there a chance that it could be posted in two sections on the forum? If so please feel free to move it or post it in the gs forum if I have done something incorrectly. thanks!

now to the problem...I have an 06 GS430 that I recently put a set of gs460 takeoffs on. The detail shop that has washed my Supras, my RX and my previous Maxima for years showed up at my house and this is what my wheels looked like:

The wheels are oem takeoffs and have been washed a couple times since I have put them on but I have never had any problems with the cleaner I use. I am wondering if anyone has had this same issue before and if so what did you do to remove it? The surface is smooth almost like it took the brake dust and fully imbedded it into the alloy. I even took some s100 wheel cleaner that i have and put it on a small rag to see if it would help and it did nothing at all. It is the strangest thing I have ever seen and I know the shop will handle it but I was trying to be proactive so when I go to the shop I will have some ideas as to what will need to be done. I also didnt want to try and do something that may further damage the wheel before I had a chance to talk to the shop owner on monday. I will not go for refinishing as that is the reason I bought new takeoffs in the first place.

I was sick to my stomach all afternoon just thinking about this!

All thoughts and ideas from you will be greatly appreciated.

See additional pics of the damaged wheels here:
http://s40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...S430%20Wheels/
Old 06-06-10, 10:40 AM
DetailMan
Driver

My guess is they used an acid based wheel cleaner and ruined the wheels. Maybe the wheels were hot, or they let the cleaner sit way too long. I would request they pay for brand new wheels (including mounting and balancing), refinishing is not acceptable. Then find a new detailer. Good luck!
Old 06-06-10, 01:15 PM
Angelo
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry to see this, but looks like they were hot when the shop try to clean them or maybe use some type of wheel acid cleaner on them and should redo them or pay for a new one. Check and see if they have insurance to cover it or maybe you need to go to small claims court.
Old 06-07-10, 06:17 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Agreed. They owe you new wheels.

The silver finish is gone, there's not a product out there that can bring it back.

Good luck, I hope they learned a lesson they won't repeat, sadly on your car.
Old 06-07-10, 07:08 AM
benzo555
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to see that.. but it looks like brake dust caked on the wheels. The reason I say that is because your center cap looks to be that way as well. The center cap is plastic so the finish should not be like the wheels.

Also most Lexus wheels have clear coat to them. Exposing brake dust for a long time will eat the finish especially with those brakes.

However they do look just like my IS350 brakes. What I did was get some diluted simple green and let it sit for about 5 minutes. Rinse and repeat if needed. Clay bar the wheels and it took everything off.
Old 06-07-10, 08:04 AM
MoeMistry
Former Sponsor

This is really weird. Usually, if there's acid etching, the wheels turn a milky white. Yours almost looks like they were spraying on tire dressing and got overspray on the wheels and your brake dust landed on areas where there was tire dressing.

Have you tried claying the wheels? If nothing works, then a refinish is in order. To do it properly, you need to take the clear and paint down to the bare metal and build it back up. For this, wheels need to be off the car.

I'd talk to the detailers, give them a chance to remedy the situation, and see what happens. This is something that would never happen in my shop, and if it did, we'd have it fixed and repaired and back to new when you picked it up.
Old 06-07-10, 08:32 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran
Forum Moderator

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by MoeMistry
This is really weird. Usually, if there's acid etching, the wheels turn a milky white. Yours almost looks like they were spraying on tire dressing and got overspray on the wheels and your brake dust landed on areas where there was tire dressing.

Have you tried claying the wheels? If nothing works, then a refinish is in order. To do it properly, you need to take the clear and paint down to the bare metal and build it back up. For this, wheels need to be off the car.

I'd talk to the detailers, give them a chance to remedy the situation, and see what happens. This is something that would never happen in my shop, and if it did, we'd have it fixed and repaired and back to new when you picked it up.
Agreed Liscensed, Bonded, and Insured. . please try claying, though you should NOT have to if you paid for a detail. Were it my shop, the tech would have been fired on the spot for even letting the car go like that. Unacceptable.
Old 06-07-10, 12:48 PM
DetailMan
Driver

The wheels should be replaced, not refinished!!!!
Old 06-12-10, 04:33 AM
wmr71
Rookie

I want to thank all who posted in this thread and let you know as of yesterday morning I have the cold hard cash in my hand to have the wheels replaced. At first the owner of the shop asked that I have them refinished but I told him that wasnt acceptable. I should have the new wheels on in a couple weeks and then I may spend some time seeing what can be done to the damaged wheels once they are off. Maybe with some elbow grease and a few hours they may look somewhat normal.

BTW....I just bought the ultimate wheel and tire kit from detailed image to make sure the new ones are protected before they even get on the car

thanks again everybody... this is a great forum.....

Mike

p.s I may even use the new wheel detail kit on these

or these

Last edited by wmr71; 06-12-10 at 04:40 AM.
Old 06-12-10, 07:57 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

good to hear, nice celicas.
Old 06-12-10, 09:41 AM
MoeMistry
Former Sponsor

Glad everything worked out.
Old 06-13-10, 06:22 AM
varcity64