Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

How to Keep black clean

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-10, 06:14 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts
Default How to Keep black clean

On Tuesday my GF and I picked up a 2010 Nissan Frontier SE.. Blk on tan.. Its her truck but want to keep it in tip top condition.. Now i haven't owned a blk car in several years and over time that paint went to crap (95 mustang).. I'm sure i'll be purchaseing a buffer here in the next few weeks along with some basic products for the paint.. I already see light scratches on the truck and its only a few days old..

I made call to local clear bra installer and they want 440.00 for the front bumper and 15'' up the hood.. I thought that was a pretty good deal IMO..

My question is what kind of prep work is needed before they install the clear bra.. Do they wax and get all the scratches off that I've noticed? I want this to be perfect with no blemishes in the paint before they install it..

Is there anything i should ask them?

Thanks
Old 04-24-10, 04:08 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not certain what they do to prep. I guess you'll be cleaning her new truck here and there. After having my black car, my next color of choice will not be another black vehicle. It's like any & every imperfection can show but the car looks great when cleaned and detailed. Best of luck!
Old 04-24-10, 11:05 AM
GlisTech
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On every clear film that we install, we first prep the area with a thorough polishing to make sure that the covered area is free of paint defects to ensure the best possible finish for the clear film.

We recommend, when dealing with any professional, that you ask as many questions as possible. A true pro has no problems explaining their process and ensuring you have a clear understanding of everything that they are doing, and what steps are necessary to deliver the best possible outcome.

I think that the most important thing in dealing with a black car however is having a safe and consistent wash practice. Simple basics like having a good natural sheepskin wash mitt, washing from top to bottom and rinsing your mitt consistently to keep it free of debris, and carefully drying using MF drying towels will keep your finish defect free for as long as possible.

Check out our website www.glisteningperfection.com for products to help keep it clean, and some great instructions to help you as well.

Good luck!
Old 04-24-10, 04:52 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

50% of my car is plastic sheild. What i was instructed to do before the Ventureshield since the product is very clear like a mirroir is to correct all the rock chip with paint. Puffing is not necessary since the plastic over it will make it deeper and disappear. If you have to do a compound, do a light one since it cheaper.

Also, if you car has rustproofing on it, make sure that they remove it well, mine had some lift after because of that.

Whatever you do, the clear film should give a new life on your car, my bumper had like 100 rock chips correction on it and the film make it disappear.

Good luck on the install.
Old 04-24-10, 05:03 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Originally Posted by MrG4Life
I'm not certain what they do to prep. I guess you'll be cleaning her new truck here and there. After having my black car, my next color of choice will not be another black vehicle. It's like any & every imperfection can show but the car looks great when cleaned and detailed. Best of luck!
Well black wasn't my first choice but its her car LOL.. I had a black mustang for 7yrs and will not buy a black car for me.. but its her car now i want to keep that clean...

Originally Posted by GlisTech
On every clear film that we install, we first prep the area with a thorough polishing to make sure that the covered area is free of paint defects to ensure the best possible finish for the clear film.

We recommend, when dealing with any professional, that you ask as many questions as possible. A true pro has no problems explaining their process and ensuring you have a clear understanding of everything that they are doing, and what steps are necessary to deliver the best possible outcome.

I think that the most important thing in dealing with a black car however is having a safe and consistent wash practice. Simple basics like having a good natural sheepskin wash mitt, washing from top to bottom and rinsing your mitt consistently to keep it free of debris, and carefully drying using MF drying towels will keep your finish defect free for as long as possible.

Check out our website www.glisteningperfection.com for products to help keep it clean, and some great instructions to help you as well.

Good luck!

Thanks for the tips, i'll be calling them back this week to ask more questions. They are a 3m Xpel installer and dealer. I will be contacting a few different vendors in a few weeks to finally purchase my PC buffer along with polishes for light scratches to keep the truck and the other cars shinning..

Thanks again
Old 04-24-10, 06:53 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the pickup Tony! Just another reason to pick up a polisher!!
Old 04-24-10, 08:38 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Originally Posted by TLcoats
Congrats on the pickup Tony! Just another reason to pick up a polisher!!
Thanks T... Looking forward to picking one up..I've wanted one for a long time but to cheap to spend the money LOL.. Did you pick one up yet?