Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Water Spots

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-10, 11:40 AM
ennjay
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water Spots

I have a black IS250 and after a nice wash, I clayed the hood because I noticed it has water spot stains.

I clayed it twice and the spots are still there?!?! What's the best way to remove these things? I am trying to achieve a deep gloss black look but the water stain is just horrible.

Any advice is helpful.
Old 04-20-10, 01:19 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hopefully it did not etch into the paint. Try a 50/50 mix of distilled water and vinegar. Spray on a towel liberally, then set it on the spots for a few seconds. That usually should remove most tough spots as long as they aren't etched in
Old 04-20-10, 04:33 PM
MoeMistry
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ennjay
I have a black IS250 and after a nice wash, I clayed the hood because I noticed it has water spot stains.

I clayed it twice and the spots are still there?!?! What's the best way to remove these things? I am trying to achieve a deep gloss black look but the water stain is just horrible.

Any advice is helpful.
Can you post some pictures?

A mild polish like einszett Paint Polish or Menzerna Super Finish should do the trick. The einszett can be applied by hand/machine...Menzerna needs to be applied by machine.

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...00mL%2C/Detail

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...32oz%2C/Detail
Old 04-22-10, 12:01 AM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think clay is just to remove heavy contaminants, so I don't think it will help with water spots.

Maybe you can try a full wash/wax/polish
I recommend Mothers clay bar system + the 3 step waxing system, the cleaner/sealant/carnuba wax combination may be able to help
Old 04-22-10, 02:59 PM
ennjay
Rookie

Originally Posted by eyezack87
Hopefully it did not etch into the paint. Try a 50/50 mix of distilled water and vinegar. Spray on a towel liberally, then set it on the spots for a few seconds. That usually should remove most tough spots as long as they aren't etched in
Is there a specific kind of vinegar to use? Red, white, rice, cocunut? Just curious.

When you mean set it, just leave the damp cloth on a portion of the hood? No rubbing or anything? After letting it sit, what do I do next? Clay it again?
Old 04-22-10, 06:33 PM
Greg@DI
Former Sponsor

If it hasn't come off with what you have tried I would try the Chemical Guys Water Spot Remover or you will have to start polishing the surface. If you polish start with a light polish and use more aggressive ones as needed. Let me know if you have any other questions!
Old 04-23-10, 12:04 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Originally Posted by ennjay
Is there a specific kind of vinegar to use? Red, white, rice, cocunut? Just curious.

When you mean set it, just leave the damp cloth on a portion of the hood? No rubbing or anything? After letting it sit, what do I do next? Clay it again?
Distilled white vinegar. The chemical reaction between the calcium deposits and vinegar, assuming that its just that, will make it easier to remove it. You let it sit then wipe lightly. That should remove it if they are deposits
Old 04-23-10, 06:15 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Great thread.. good to know techniques..
Old 04-23-10, 11:33 PM
Rividsoul
Rookie

I had the same thing on my black IS, it was bad and most noticeable on the chrome lining and side windows. I went to the dealership and they said it was from acid rain and I needed an acid rain wash. I asked another friend on his opinion and he gave me a bottle of autoglym. I applied it on a sponge and scrubbed out most of the spots off the chrome. For the windows, it was so bad I had to use steel wool (ones you use to clean pots and pans) to get the spots out. I haven't got to the body yet since I ran out of the solution.

Let me know how the vinegar works for you...