Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Eastiest way to eliminate small rust spots on hood front?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-10, 09:17 PM
MelYW
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eastiest way to eliminate small rust spots on hood front?

I have a 2005 RX330. I was stupid and did not get the clearbra. I just noticed some rust forming on some of the chipped spots. What is the easiest way to treat these tiny spots so they dont become bigger problems?

Minnesota winters suck with all of the salt on the roads pinging your car.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 03-08-10, 07:49 AM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Pics would help, but since rust means that corrosion is all the way through the primer to the bare metal, it usually means you will need to sand the affected areas and have them repainted. Depending on how closely they are spaced together, it may be worth having a section repainted professionally. If you can find a paint/body shop that is doing work regularly for Lexus, you may be able to speak with them and have yours shot at the same time to save a bit since they won't have to dedicate time to mixing paint. If you can leave the vehicle with them for a couple days, I've had good experiences with shops that want business and since it would be out of pocket, they may work with you on price if you're flexible like that. Given the current economic situation, shops need all the business they can get so don't take the first price as gospel, and you should get at least 3 estimates. Ask to see their work, and get references.

I would also get the clear bra once the paint has cured. I know that winters in MI were tough on paint, too. Lots of bad rocks, salt, snow/slush sitting on the lower panels was the worst. My winter prep always included many layers of wax/sealant to ensure it didn't stick.

Big Mack
Old 03-08-10, 11:49 AM
Angelo
Lexus Test Driver

Touching up small nicks and scratches is well within the skill level of some do-it-yourself car enthusiasts. Some nicks can be quickly repaired with a small dab of touch-up paint, while others will require more time, effort and skill. It's important to know what you should and shouldn't tackle, based on your knowledge of paint and tools. Before you get started repairing any nicks and scratches, you should know what to expect. Some small nicks are easy to repair by filling the area with paint, leveling the area, and buffing out the repair area to blend and restore the luster. Repairing small scratches as from a key or shopping cart, is similar, but more time consuming. Fixing a ding (a small dent which may or may not have taken a nick out of the paint) is not usually possible for the do-it-yourselfer and one would need a PDR professional. But if there is rust you might want to talk to a body shop that's know what their doing.
Old 03-08-10, 07:48 PM
MelYW
Pole Position

I was considering cleaning up the affected areas, using a rust converter, then painting over them. Will this method work at all? Doomed to fail cosmetically? Rust converters really work?

The areas are as such: imagine a very small rock chip that is starting to rust in the middle.

What would a bidy shop charge if there were 5-7 of such marks on the front of the hood?

Thanks again.