Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Quck Detailer if not Too Dirty?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-09, 01:38 PM
will33184
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quck Detailer if not Too Dirty?

Hey guys,

My car is parked in garages about 97% of the time, but even in the garage it gets dust, etc from where the garage has openings to the outside.

After rain, it gets kinda spotty and dirty.

I live in a apartment complex in West LA, so the only choice I have is to wash my car at a hand wash, car cant go into rails (rims). That can cost from 20+ tip usually 25, 40 for wash and light wax.

My question is, is it ok to get a whole bottle of quick detailer, spray on liberally, spray on clean microfiber towels, wipe off all the dirt, then go 1 more round to clean it up? Then clay and cleaner wax?

I've heard this is how some people do waterless washes in the winter, and my cousin told me that this is how he keeps his showcar clean. However, I hear the opposite as well.

Thanks

Will
Old 02-12-09, 03:52 PM
Vincent123
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if there is light dust, go ahead and use quick detailer. But if the dust is caked on i wouldnt want to use a towel and be spreading the dust all over your paint, better to wash it
Old 02-12-09, 04:15 PM
humanoid
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agree with Vincent, if it just has a light layer of dust just use the quick detailer, it's what it's for, it should be fine.
Old 02-12-09, 04:24 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm a big quick detailer user and agree that it works great for light dust. I wouldn't hesitate to use it regularly for dust removal; but I feel like it's good to actually wash it fairly frequently. I don't have any hard evidence to back that up, but there's alot of dirt and stuff (undercarriage for example) that you won't get with the quick detailer and it makes me feel better to wash it once a week or as needed.

I would wash the car before I clay and wax; you shouldn't have to clay more than once a year or so and wax occasionally, depending on your conditions and how fanatical you are. I'd personally feel much better having the car actually washed before I did anything like clay, polish, or wax.
Old 02-12-09, 04:34 PM
will33184
Lead Lap

thanks for the replies

the reason i asked is cuz last night i saw that some werid residue had dripped onto my car, i tried to quick detail it off, but it didnt work!

so I ended up buying a claybar and it took it right off, then i sealed it with wax.

i did this to the top of my trunk, and surprisingly, there were no scratches, and it looks really really good. but i guess by doing so i do run the risk of 1. scratching the car and 2. not removing all the dirt

i guess it is better if i wash, haha i should know better, thanks!
Old 02-12-09, 04:51 PM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

agreed. light surface dust is ok. If its marginally more, I'd say to go w/ ONR. Heavier still, I'd reserve for standard washes. With that said, I'd still recommend a waterless wash product, specifically designed more for this task as opposed to some quick detailers which act more as a gloss enhancer after a routine wash.
For waterless washes, I really like Spray n Wipe. And of course, ONR. Both make great clay lubes as well A 3rd option I'd throw in there would be ONE.
http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com...less-wash.html
http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/opnoriwansh.html
http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/onewawawaxse.html
Old 02-12-09, 05:16 PM
will33184
Lead Lap

what exactly is "light surface dust"

like how about rain that has dried on the paint, leaving water marks, does that even count as dust? or is that dirty?

also, is ONR ok to use in this way: mix in spray bottle, spray on car liberally, spray on towel, wipe down. I cant use wash buckets in my parking garage.

Last edited by will33184; 02-12-09 at 05:21 PM.
Old 02-13-09, 12:22 AM
Ursus
Rookie

Light Durface dust is a dust you can easily wipe off with your finger. Nothing sticky or stuck on like dirt after driving through a heavy rain.
Old 02-13-09, 12:53 PM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by will33184
what exactly is "light surface dust"

like how about rain that has dried on the paint, leaving water marks, does that even count as dust? or is that dirty?

also, is ONR ok to use in this way: mix in spray bottle, spray on car liberally, spray on towel, wipe down. I cant use wash buckets in my parking garage.
Originally Posted by Ursus
Light Durface dust is a dust you can easily wipe off with your finger. Nothing sticky or stuck on like dirt after driving through a heavy rain.
I wouldnt use a quick detailer on a vehicle after being driven in the rain. Thats too much imo. If it just rained on the vehicle in the driveway, I guess its a toss up on what else fell on the paint at the same time.

You can definitely mix ONR in a spray bottle. Very popular way of using it actually. The most popular would be in the bucket of course though.
Old 02-17-09, 11:44 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

optimum no rince would be your best choice.....good luck
Old 02-17-09, 03:36 PM
will33184
Lead Lap

thanks

is is ok to claybar after using ONR, then wax?

does onr leave any stuff on the surface of the paint that is not good for it long term?
Old 02-17-09, 05:04 PM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Will, you can clay after using ONR. In fact, you can even use ONR as your clay lube as well It doesn't leave any harmful remnants on the surface either!
link to the onr again for you
http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/opnoriwansh.html