Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Isn't waxing a Pain

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-09, 02:38 PM
Zagman91
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Isn't waxing a Pain

Hi i waxed my car last summer it looks great but there were some cons. First i realized that the wax got left in the hard to reach places like the emblems on the trunk inside the cracks, in the cracks on the chrome molding, the cracks in the windows, as you can see every hard to reach place there is still a little wax left. I was wondering how to get this off. Second the emblems on the trunk got tarnished from the wax. Has this happened to anybody or am i just not waxing properly. And finally how do you get off the old wax because as soon as it gets warm i am going to wash and wax again.
Old 01-31-09, 04:30 PM
habeeb89
Lexus Test Driver

It's only a pain if you don't have the passion of detailing
Old 01-31-09, 05:53 PM
shern
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Waxing is easy (with PC). Claying by hand blows a$$.
Old 01-31-09, 06:55 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what wax are you using?
Old 01-31-09, 06:57 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Not at all, thought that could be due to the fact that I use detailing as a relaxing therapy

I actually like applying by hand, like real hand. I have a tub of special edition Rubbishboys OE that pretty much needs to be applied by hand in the first place

Here is for you by-hand people. Zymol paste waxes work well by this. RBOE works excellent by this. Try it out, I personally think it looks much better than applying with an applicator
Apply using your hands.

Make sure you remove all metal work from your hands and wrists, rings, watches etc. Take a small quantity of wax from the pot and place it in the palm of your hand.

Massage the wax into the palm of your hand, to get the oils flowing, and then rub your hands together and make sure there is thin coating all over your hands.

Next massage the wax into your clean and freshly polished paintwork, make sure you cover all the areas, but also be very careful you spread it very thinly. Too much wax will be hard to buff off and may leave wax holograms.

Cover the whole area carefully, oh and did I mention, make sure you spread it very thinly.

Curing.

When the panel is completely covered, move onto the next, you need to leave the wax some time to cure and bond to the paint. Depending on the wax this usually takes between a couple and 15 minutes, read the instructions for the wax you are using. If the weather is particlurly hot or you are in direct sunlight, you may need to buff off sooner.

Removing the wax.

Using a deeper pile microfibre cloth, wipe the excess wax off. If you have applied a nice thin layer and the wax is ready to be removed, it will come off in one or two wipes. If it is taking several wipes then you may have applied too much product or not left it long enough.

Once all the excess wax has been removed turn your cloth over and buff the paintwork to a high gloss finish.
Old 01-31-09, 08:09 PM
Zagman91
Rookie

how do u get the wax out of the cracks in the emblems, chrome and window cracks
Old 01-31-09, 08:15 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Soft bristle brush or a soft tooth brush work for me
Old 01-31-09, 08:17 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

The optimum thing is to not get it in there in the first place, Zag. I use blue painter's tape when detailing my cars (and when I was a pro, same deal). It leaves no residue and, most importantly, doesn't allow the goo to get where it doesn't belong. Tape the fenders when doing the hood and vice versa. Proceed as needed around the vehicle. Sure, it takes a bit of time, but it sure beats having the results you are - and eliminates the need to scrape and possibly mar the paint. Given today's multiple layer finishes (Lexus uses a 3-stage paint), it's very easy to damage it. When I was doing Ferrari's, Porsche's, and Bentley's, the customers would certainly have not expected any less.

To answer your question: use a fine detailer's brush, available at most specialty automotive places. These usually have very fine hairs and will not scratch the paint. Should cost you about $15 for a set of 3. Then work it around the emblems, chrome, and cracks. To get it off of cracks that are in between panels like hood/fenders, I would open the hood, dampen a micro fiber towel with some detailing spray, and wipe it gently off. Other panels that aren't movable, take the MF towel, again damp with detailing spray, and wipe carefully between them. If you have a small body filler spreader, these can work wonders when pushed between panels (gently!) and covered with the towel.

Voila...problem solved!

Big Mack
Old 01-31-09, 08:18 PM
Zagman91
Rookie

How do u get rid of the old wax or do u just wash the car and reapply the wax. Sorry iam new at this sort of stuff. thanks
Old 01-31-09, 08:29 PM
XprincoX
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

detailing isn't a pain at all if you have a passion for cleaning your vehicle looking prestine.

You can remove wax by using a dial dishwash soap instead of your normal carwash. Or if you are really **** about it you can use a pre-wax cleaner like Menzerna Final Polish II or Meguiar's No.9
Old 01-31-09, 08:35 PM
Zagman91
Rookie

So you only use the dishwashing soap to wash the entire car and then you use regular car washing wash right. Can you guys give me some products to use for waxing, washing the wheels and tires, polishing, and some interior products to use
Old 02-01-09, 05:49 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I use a product that doesn't leave waxy deposits in nooks and crannies and on plastic trim. Problem solved. NXT 2.0 is good and QuikWax is even better around emblems.

When I encounter this on client's cars I use a pink eraser and carve it to the shape and edge I want. I couple this with an eraser pencil which I also carve to an edge that can get in and remove old wax and dirt buildup. This is easy, effective and is also safe for paint and chrome as it doesn't scratch.

Last edited by jfelbab; 02-01-09 at 05:52 AM.
Old 02-01-09, 07:36 AM
Zagman91
Rookie

jim do u use the quick wax in the red or black spray bottle and can you use the spray wax and the nxt 2.0 together
Old 02-01-09, 08:34 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I use this one: http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/detail/MEG+G17516

It is available at my local Walmart as are the pink erasers, BTW.

It leaves no white residue on the paint or trim. It works well with NXT 2.0.
Old 02-23-09, 08:25 AM
MyfirstES
Driver

Isaac, is that you applying the wax to the car?

Quick Reply: Isn't waxing a Pain