Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Best Clay Bar

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-08, 01:22 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Little E
Ugh...I got some bad water spots on my car from the sprinkler at work. I tried to wash/wax the spots off, but I can still see them.

Any good recommendations for a good lube/clay bar kit? I have never clayed my car before; is it like waxing?

Thanks for your help,
Erin
meguiars is the only one i use. not because im overly brand loyal, but because its just usually the one i see first. i tried it, and it works so why change?
Old 08-29-08, 03:49 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Trexus
Why is Ricardo clay bar illegal to sell here in California?
It is actually illegal for sale in the United States, not specifically to California. If I remember correctly it has to do with a certain patent laws.
Old 08-29-08, 05:07 AM
PaPaHoFF
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
It is actually illegal for sale in the United States, not specifically to California. If I remember correctly it has to do with a certain patent laws.
Correct. They got sued in a multi million dollar law suit and cant sell it in the US even though it is made in the US until the patent is up. Some say 2010 some say longer. Who knows...

If you make a trip to canada, order from Eshine and they can get you some. They cant deliver Riccardo clay to the US though. They will cancel your order if you try.
Old 08-29-08, 07:04 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I've used most of the major clay kits and they all work pretty much the same. Given that they all seem about the same in performance, I prefer the Meguiar's Smooth Surface Clay Kit. The reason... besides the two 50 gm bars of clay and a plastic storage box to keep them in, a bottle of quick detailer lube, it also comes with a very high quality "Supreme Shine" Microfiber towel. None of the other give you a MF.

Some clay tips:

Clay the paint when it is cool to the touch. Use plenty of lube and gently slide the clay back and forth over the paint in a 2'x2' section at a time. The clay should mostly hydroplane over the surface and it will grab and pull off any bonded contaminants that stick up over the paint surface. Turn and kneed the clay often as it gets dirty. Start with the horizntal surfaces as they will contain the most contaminants. Draw your fingers gently over the freshly clayed surface to see that you have removed all the contaminants then wipe up the section with your MF and continue on.

If you are leaving clay streaks on the paint you are either working on a paint surface that is too warm or you are using too much pressure.

After you finish claying the paint move on to the glass. Clay will clean up the glass really well. It is especially good at removing windshield road grime. Once you finish claying the glass use the clay on your wheels. Toss the clay bar after you finish with the wheels as you don't want to put that back on the paint again.

If, during the process, you drop the clay bar and it hits the ground, toss it as it will be contaminated and will scratch your paint. Grab another piece and continue.

If you are using some one else's clay kit cut the original bar into two or three pieces before you start. Put the unused piece(s) into a baggie. That way you'll have a spare piece to fall back on if (when) you drop a piece of clay.

You don't need to be too **** about wiping up the quik detailer residue as you are going to be polishing and waxing afterwards anyway.
Old 08-29-08, 10:27 AM
Little E
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^Thank You Jim! Your words of wisdom will come in handy.

Tonight I am going to wash my car (of course keep it parked in the garage afterwards). Then tomorrow morning (when it's still cool outside), I am going to clay my waterspot areas on my hood and try it out on my glass too. Not sure about using it on my wheels (I am pretty **** about wiping off the brake dust and applying wax every 3 mos).
Old 08-29-08, 01:01 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Little E
^^^Thank You Jim! Your words of wisdom will come in handy.

Tonight I am going to wash my car (of course keep it parked in the garage afterwards). Then tomorrow morning (when it's still cool outside), I am going to clay my waterspot areas on my hood and try it out on my glass too. Not sure about using it on my wheels (I am pretty **** about wiping off the brake dust and applying wax every 3 mos).
After washing, try wetting a wheel with a little QD and draw your fingertips over it and see if it feels smooth. If it has bonded contaminates on it you will feel it.
Old 08-30-08, 10:39 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jim, I'll take your tips into consideration because my first AND only time I tried it felt like I wasn't doing something right. I quickly aborted mission.
Old 08-30-08, 10:18 PM
Little E
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update: I used Clay Magic on my hood, and it worked very well. I washed my car last night, and the water spots disappeared a little more, but some where still visible. I clayed those areas this morning, and it worked! No more more water spots on my hood.

P.S. I'm addicted to using that quick detailer stuff.