Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Ask GlimmerGlass

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-09, 09:19 AM
Shark7373
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can the PC be used on non metal surfaces such as the front and rear fascia?

Also, I'm wondering what polish and waxes are best for a white car and dark blue car? Can I use the same product for both or does one of the paint colors require special product? The white vehicle is a GMC Denali and the blue is a GS300.

Thanks,

Jim
Old 02-28-09, 09:52 AM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes the PC can be used on any surface..
Also as far as 2 I use and I have.. the Black Hole glaze by Poorboy's is good for dark cars..
And Natty's blue Wax is good for dark cars too.
P21s 100% is a good wax for all cars... ()....

Chris any luck on that foam lance yet?
Old 03-01-09, 08:19 AM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Shark7373
Can the PC be used on non metal surfaces such as the front and rear fascia?

Also, I'm wondering what polish and waxes are best for a white car and dark blue car? Can I use the same product for both or does one of the paint colors require special product? The white vehicle is a GMC Denali and the blue is a GS300.

Thanks,

Jim
Yep, absolutely.

As for a wax for your vehicles, you can go w/ a product that can work on both, or you can tailor the wax a little more to each color. On white, I like EXP, Nattys White, Collinite 845, jetseal 109 and MSeal. Blues I tend to use Victoria Wax Red, P21s, Petes 53, 5050, nattys Blue, and Clearkote Carnauba Moose wax. These waxes will easily work on both colors, but if I'm working on one of the colors you mentioned, I'll tend to grab one of the above mentioned items. All just personal preference really
Old 03-01-09, 08:23 AM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

Chris are you stocking Natty's white now? I've been trying to find it its OOS?
Old 03-01-09, 08:39 AM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lexusscturbo
Chris are you stocking Natty's white now? I've been trying to find it its OOS?
Sure are. We've actually always carried Natty White. Last I looked we were well stocked too
http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com...spastewax.html
Old 03-01-09, 02:41 PM
Shark7373
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Chris@GlimmerGlass
Yep, absolutely.

As for a wax for your vehicles, you can go w/ a product that can work on both, or you can tailor the wax a little more to each color. On white, I like EXP, Nattys White, Collinite 845, jetseal 109 and MSeal. Blues I tend to use Victoria Wax Red, P21s, Petes 53, 5050, nattys Blue, and Clearkote Carnauba Moose wax. These waxes will easily work on both colors, but if I'm working on one of the colors you mentioned, I'll tend to grab one of the above mentioned items. All just personal preference really
Thanks Chris! Sounds like a good plan for the waxes...I'll need to get two kinds so the blue has that wet look to it.

I do have more questions for ya! What kind of polish and pads do you recommend for the Blue GS300? We just bought it and its 3 years old. Looks like a lot of swirl marks, but nothing very deep in the paint. I've read that Lexus has soft paint so I'm wondering what the best option would be so I use the least abrasive method possible (since I'm a newbie to using the PC)

As far as the white Denali goes...the paint is perfect on this car (no swirl marks), however, I do drive the car every day in the harsh Ohio winters and there are a ton of yellow and black dots on the paint at the moment. I plan to wash, clay and wash again. Will I need to use a polish after the clay since it might leave marks on the paint? If so, what polish since the paint is has no marks on it except for spots from winter driving.

Thanks again!
Old 03-01-09, 06:21 PM
Zinda
Lexus Test Driver

Whats a good cheap power washer?

Something preferably that will mix my soap and water properly. Something I can just attach to the garden hose with no electricity or gas needed.
Old 03-02-09, 08:39 AM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Zinda
Whats a good cheap power washer?

Something preferably that will mix my soap and water properly. Something I can just attach to the garden hose with no electricity or gas needed.
well, a power washer typically requires one of the power sources you mentioned, otherwise, its not really a powerwasher imo. Now, if you're looking for a foam gun (ie: foam cannon that would normally attach to a powerwasher, but w/o the power), than you would look to a foam gun like the one I linked to below

http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/foamgun.html
Old 03-02-09, 08:44 AM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Shark7373
Thanks Chris! Sounds like a good plan for the waxes...I'll need to get two kinds so the blue has that wet look to it.

I do have more questions for ya! What kind of polish and pads do you recommend for the Blue GS300? We just bought it and its 3 years old. Looks like a lot of swirl marks, but nothing very deep in the paint. I've read that Lexus has soft paint so I'm wondering what the best option would be so I use the least abrasive method possible (since I'm a newbie to using the PC)

As far as the white Denali goes...the paint is perfect on this car (no swirl marks), however, I do drive the car every day in the harsh Ohio winters and there are a ton of yellow and black dots on the paint at the moment. I plan to wash, clay and wash again. Will I need to use a polish after the clay since it might leave marks on the paint? If so, what polish since the paint is has no marks on it except for spots from winter driving.

Thanks again!
The recently reformulated Optimum polishes are really nice. They have their compound, polish and finishing polish. You can pair them up w/ an orange (light cut pad, to do the correction) and a white polishing pad, to refine the finish. The least aggressive method you can try is to obviously do the finishing polish on the white pad. However, you can also mix it up and do something like polish on an orange pad. Obviously the more aggressive of the combos listed above would be the orange pad and compound. fwiw, a yellow pad would be the strongest cutting pad and the black, blue and red pads have no cut at all, so they're best reserved for glazes, waxes, etc.

For the truck, you might consider doing something like either p21s paintwork cleanser after claying or something like PoliSeal. I like both of those as a base, neither of which are in the least bit classified as "aggressive" imo.
Then just top w/ a wax. I would probably choose the collinite wax given your driving situation w/ the truck. I think it'll be the most durable option for you
Old 03-05-09, 04:55 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Any advice on cleaning a headliner on a IS350?
Old 03-05-09, 05:27 PM
Zinda
Lexus Test Driver

What is the best way and products to use to clean my exhaust tips?
Old 03-06-09, 08:41 AM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by iSuxeL
Any advice on cleaning a headliner on a IS350?
For headliners, I'll either use Optimum Power Clean or Poorboys APC. I spray on to a microfiber towel first, as you dont really want to soak a headliner as you can run the risk of having the headliner separate from the cardboard/backing material.
http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/poclallpucl.html
http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com...dable-apc.html

Originally Posted by Zinda
What is the best way and products to use to clean my exhaust tips?
I've been very happy using Clearkote Metal Polish, Optimum's Metal Polish and English Custom Showmans Blend. All have worked very well for me
http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/meandchpo.html
Old 03-07-09, 05:58 PM
pickle
Rookie

Chris, Just sent you a big order. Almost $400 worth of goodies! I have been planning on getting a PC in the spring, but when I washed my wife's Audi A6 wagon today, I noticed some very disturbing deep scratches in the roof, and some significant marring on the rear hatch. Turns out she tried backing out of the garage before the door fully opened! scratching the rear of the roof for about 3 inches. Later that same day, She used her hand on the rear door to clean off the dirt to try and place one of those stupid magnetic ribbons on her car! I showed her the damage she caused, and while I probably can't get all of the scratches out of the roof, (some are pretty deep) she felt so guilty she let me buy everything I need to try and fix it.
Old 03-08-09, 02:23 PM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by pickle
Chris, Just sent you a big order. Almost $400 worth of goodies! I have been planning on getting a PC in the spring, but when I washed my wife's Audi A6 wagon today, I noticed some very disturbing deep scratches in the roof, and some significant marring on the rear hatch. Turns out she tried backing out of the garage before the door fully opened! scratching the rear of the roof for about 3 inches. Later that same day, She used her hand on the rear door to clean off the dirt to try and place one of those stupid magnetic ribbons on her car! I showed her the damage she caused, and while I probably can't get all of the scratches out of the roof, (some are pretty deep) she felt so guilty she let me buy everything I need to try and fix it.
Got it, Thanks bro!

That sux about the roof Hopefully you can make some good improvements on the roof so they're not as noticeable!! Any questions along the way, please dont hesitate to ask and I'll do my best to help out
Old 03-09-09, 02:52 AM
dustleet
Driver School Candidate

Chris, what is the best way to cure/polish off burn paint? (is there a way besides repaint?)
a friend of mine used rotary polisher and messed up some parts of the hood.
its a black car and the burnt parts are noticeable in sun light.
i do have pc and some pads. thanks

Quick Reply: Ask GlimmerGlass