Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

I'm not a Carbon Fiber virgin anymore!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-08, 11:54 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I'm not a Carbon Fiber virgin anymore!

Polished my first carbon fiber hood today. It was really quite something. I was really worried since I never did it before and I was afraid that I would burn the CF underneath for some reason. Luckily, there was a soft clearcoat/gelcoat? and it was quite easy to work with. It was just the basic washing swirls and oxidation that I had to deal with. The weave, I noticed made it very hard to see some of the swirls and scratches with the Brinkmann Dual Xenon light. That was the biggest obstacle for me to get around. Eventually I trusted #83 to breakdown to a perfect finish(which it usually does for me) and used my hand to see how much I did to the paint

I don't have any pictures of the actual hood right now since I started around 10pm(yes...I know...) to see what I could do, but its the Vorsteiner hood for a BMW E46 Coupe. I'm hoping my friend can get pics for me later on since hes going to Bimmerfest tomorrow so my work will be shown

Pics of the type of hood I was working on:

The one I was working on had silver CF vents

I'll post pics when I get them from my friend. All I can say is...wow...CF is beautiful when freshly polished...absolutely amazing. Who knows, maybe this will be my first customer after Bimmerfest . It was a pleasure working on such a car...I really wish I knew his username on e46fanatics.com but I don't
Old 05-03-08, 12:05 AM
PaPaHoFF
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by eyezack87
Polished my first carbon fiber hood today. It was really quite something. I was really worried since I never did it before and I was afraid that I would burn the CF underneath for some reason. Luckily, there was a soft clearcoat/gelcoat? and it was quite easy to work with. It was just the basic washing swirls and oxidation that I had to deal with. The weave, I noticed made it very hard to see some of the swirls and scratches with the Brinkmann Dual Xenon light. That was the biggest obstacle for me to get around. Eventually I trusted #83 to breakdown to a perfect finish(which it usually does for me) and used my hand to see how much I did to the paint

I don't have any pictures of the actual hood right now since I started around 10pm(yes...I know...) to see what I could do, but its the Vorsteiner hood for a BMW E46 Coupe. I'm hoping my friend can get pics for me later on since hes going to Bimmerfest tomorrow so my work will be shown

Pics of the type of hood I was working on:

The one I was working on had silver CF vents

I'll post pics when I get them from my friend. All I can say is...wow...CF is beautiful when freshly polished...absolutely amazing. Who knows, maybe this will be my first customer after Bimmerfest . It was a pleasure working on such a car...I really wish I knew his username on e46fanatics.com but I don't
How did you do the vents? by hand? looks hard haha. Never encountered a CF exterior panel yet myself.
Old 05-03-08, 06:31 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Cant wait to see the pics! let alone the car!!

I have never done anything with CF. Kudos to you for taking on the challenge
Old 05-03-08, 12:00 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Originally Posted by PaPaHoFF
How did you do the vents? by hand? looks hard haha. Never encountered a CF exterior panel yet myself.
Haha, quoting someone that works for Meguiar's..."with lots of PASSION" . CF is fun to polish! It makes you feel drunk after because its so clear and you can't focus on the weave at all @.@

Originally Posted by passnu2
Cant wait to see the pics! let alone the car!!

I have never done anything with CF. Kudos to you for taking on the challenge
Yeah, I really wish I could show you pics of the car...its not finished yet (CF hood and CF CSL trunk were put on just for today's Bimmerfest ) but the lighting set up is amazing. When he starts the car, the head lights "pulse" before they turn on. Its freakin amazing how he does it . Hopefully my friend takes a whole bunch of pics from Bimmerfest today and gives them to me soon
Old 05-03-08, 04:33 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by eyezack87
Haha, quoting someone that works for Meguiar's..."with lots of PASSION" . CF is fun to polish! It makes you feel drunk after because its so clear and you can't focus on the weave at all @.@

Yeah, I really wish I could show you pics of the car...its not finished yet (CF hood and CF CSL trunk were put on just for today's Bimmerfest ) but the lighting set up is amazing. When he starts the car, the head lights "pulse" before they turn on. Its freakin amazing how he does it . Hopefully my friend takes a whole bunch of pics from Bimmerfest today and gives them to me soon
You have to post pics now!!! Don't tease us and leave us to hanging
Old 05-03-08, 11:39 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Sorry CL but my friend is just starting to organize his pics from the meet. Unfortunately, he doesn't remember if he took closeups of the CF hood or not, but I do have a teaser of the car for you

Credit goes to an e46fanatic whom I was sifting through pics. His car is the white one at the bottom with the black hood and trunk next to the red BMW. Each are carbon fiber but I only had time to work the hood like I said earlier. Those are unaltered and practically brand new, hence why I said he put them on for Bimmerfest

More pics when I get them. Hopefully they're closeups, but if not, maybe I'll have the pleasure of doing the whole car next time
Old 05-04-08, 05:48 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Sorry guys, no closeups, but I do have some full body shots of the car . Thank you to my friend for taking these for me ^.^

Old 05-05-08, 01:50 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Better pics!

Old 05-06-08, 10:32 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

looks good! only thing i would do is change the kidney krills to a mate blk.

thanks for sharing!
Old 05-06-08, 12:04 PM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

That hood is fricken b e a u t i f u l !!
Old 05-14-08, 12:49 PM
Armand
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks out of place......what's the purpose of replacing the original hood?
Old 05-14-08, 02:29 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Originally Posted by Armand
looks out of place......what's the purpose of replacing the original hood?
Of course its out of place, I said its not finished man . Purpose is for show car looks, when its finished it will flow into place. Like I said earlier, all the carbon fiber bits are for BIMMERFEST only. They are now off the car and waiting for paint