Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.
View Poll Results: Do you condition your leather seats?
Yes I do
64.73%
No I don't
14.34%
Thinking about it
20.93%
Voters: 258. You may not vote on this poll

Do you condition your leather?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-08, 07:44 AM
luxor311
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I only have one word to say

ZAINO!
Old 01-29-08, 02:29 PM
sincityIS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

about 6 months ago I went to condition my leather with some maguires gold class conditioner and it got into the perforations in the leather. There is still a stain in one big area on each seat. How can I rectify this. I figured by now the leather would have absorbed it, but it hasn't.
Old 01-29-08, 02:44 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
We dont believe the salesmen when they try to tell us stuff at the stealership, what makes you think you should believe anyone else there too?

Only time you goto a stealership is:
1. to buy the car
2. for tsb
3. for the first free service

and thats it... I just had my free service and they'll never see me again unless some tsb comes up that i want.

Condition your leather, i use Meguiers Gold Class paste thingy and apply with a microfiber pad. Theres alot of other brands on the market all just as good and some even more expensive, just remember thou, just cuz it costs more dont mean its better
AMEN!!!++++
Old 01-30-08, 06:05 PM
Pwyll
Driver

This is the deal.

In my first G35 (black leather), I started conditioning. Once you do it, you have always have to. I used only the best conditioning applications, but the creases and oily feel always remained. I regretted ever starting it.

In my 2nd G35 (beige leather) I never conditioned it. 2 years later, the leather was as soft and supple as the day I bought it. If I saw what appeared to be dirt or discoloration, I used a damp cloth with simple soap and water (very little soap). The leather was unreal.

In my IS350 (Sterling Gray) I don't condition either. The car will be 2 years old this June. The leather is still brand freakin new. Still smells great, is soft, supple, spotless and comfortable.

I live in NY where temperature are cooler than the hot south. Maybe in those conditions I would consider a VERY mild treatment. But nothing more than that.

The proof is what it is.
Old 05-04-08, 07:25 PM
2k4CamkilA
Intermediate

MOTHERS isn't bad. I don't have leather. But when I make a enough money to purchase my IS I'll make sure I do tho.
Old 05-05-08, 03:26 PM
Little E
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by anwallac
Meguiars gold class rich leather wipes

Because I like ease of use and they work really well
+1

I clean and condition my seats with the Lexus OEM stuff once a month, but I use the Meguiars gold class rich leather wipes in between to keep up appearances inside of my car. Plus it gets super hot where I live, so I'm kind of obsessed about keeping my leather protected.

See ya later...I must go condition now!

Last edited by Little E; 05-05-08 at 04:16 PM.
Old 05-05-08, 11:15 PM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

I have 74,900 miles right now and I condition her every week because and the leather looks immaculate except the dye from my jeans stains. Its addicting IMO.
Old 05-05-08, 11:31 PM
Mr2KiEu
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Shoyuu
Ditto. Don't be fooled by the Hendrick ones. I had someone try to peddle that off to me instead of the OEM one......
what's wrong with the Hendricks one? i used it the other week and thought it wasn't that bad. left a matted finish, that i liked. got the whole car care kit free from the dealer when i bought the car......

btw....where can i buy Zaino's conditioner? any store like kragen,pepboys sell them?
Old 05-07-08, 04:22 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr2KiEu
btw....where can i buy Zaino's conditioner? any store like kragen,pepboys sell them?
Mail order or local distributor only.

http://www.zainostore.com/

I use about 6-7 Zaino products.
Great stuff.
Old 06-13-08, 09:54 AM
bostonsnow
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by andyboy
The parts guy at the dealership said that conditioning your leather wont do anything but make it shiny. I just laughed and walked away. Who here conditions their leather seats?

Yes I do
No I don't
I do too and I think conditioners are great. The only thing is - has anybody found that the conditioner blocks the perforations of the ventilated seats and then stops the ventilation from working? I think that has happened to mine. I dont get any air coming out this summer

BOston Snowboarder
2005 ES 330
Old 06-13-08, 10:36 AM
andyboy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bostonsnow
I do too and I think conditioners are great. The only thing is - has anybody found that the conditioner blocks the perforations of the ventilated seats and then stops the ventilation from working? I think that has happened to mine. I dont get any air coming out this summer

BOston Snowboarder
2005 ES 330
Mine disappers after rubbing it in. Plus, when you sit on the I'm pretty sure your clothing will absorb excess liquid.
Old 06-13-08, 10:39 AM
IS35O
Pole Position

I use Leather Vital once before summer, and once before winter. Leather feels and looks brand new
Old 06-13-08, 09:24 PM
ISWillie
Rookie

Zaino's here, and sometimes Leatherique. I like the smell of the Zaino's better though.
Old 06-15-08, 02:34 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Almost a year and a half old and 16k miles and I havent touched the leather. It looks like new still and Im debating whether or not I even wanna start. I hate ANY greasy or oily feeling a cleaner or conditioner might leave behind, and having excess soak into my clothes is unacceptable. Im only going to own the car for a total of 3 or 4 years and if it makes it looking good for that amount of time Ill be happy.
Old 06-15-08, 05:21 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys do your steering wheel as well?

Also, anyone find anything to get scuffs out of the dashboard? Still use leather conditioner on the plastic dash?

Quick Reply: Do you condition your leather?