Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Cold Winter...how do you wash your car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-07, 12:36 PM
taeng
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold Winter...how do you wash your car?

Being that the temp is getting lower and lower and recently quite cold in NYC. I can't use the hose at my house b/c the pipes end up freezing and bursting causing a mess in the garage. So I just went to the local $20 hand car wash joints only to come up with a million fine scratches all over the place.

Is it just me or is it inevitable to have to stick the car in the hand car wash joints in the winter. Bringing to the spray boths only clean the car to a certain extent, however never clean enough for me. What are everyone elses plans for washes during the winter season?
Old 11-27-07, 12:48 PM
LXMN
Lexus Test Driver

I don't have a garage as of yet (will build a 3 car in the spring), so I use the touchless car washes. Gotta keep that road salt build up off of the finish as best I can. Only problem is the water freezes up as the car is "drying". Just something you have to deal with when you hit winter time.

I think most guys are moving towards the Optimum No Rinse, but I think that you should be indoors to use it.
Old 11-27-07, 01:06 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

optimum no rinse
Old 11-27-07, 01:17 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

yes...ONR.....
Old 11-27-07, 01:39 PM
taeng
Lead Lap

I have a bottle on ONR, however it was too cold the other day to be outside with a bucket. Also when it gets colder outside it will just freeze up like LXMN said. I wish i had a heated garage and this wouldn't be an issue.
Old 11-27-07, 01:42 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Probably helps to have in a pair of heavy duty dishwashing gloves and a thick hoodie with sweat pants.. The freezing pt for ONR is lower than water so its probably better to use less water and a little more ONR..Warm water helps as well...

Quick detailer will help a bunch for those dusty days..

Last edited by One HoT; 11-27-07 at 01:49 PM.
Old 11-27-07, 02:07 PM
YupImJOee
Lexus Test Driver

in socal, wear some shorts, t-shirt, slippers, and get to work...can be hard work sometimes
Old 11-27-07, 02:33 PM
taeng
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by One HoT
Probably helps to have in a pair of heavy duty dishwashing gloves and a thick hoodie with sweat pants.. The freezing pt for ONR is lower than water so its probably better to use less water and a little more ONR..Warm water helps as well...

Quick detailer will help a bunch for those dusty days..
Thanks for the advice Dennis!
Old 11-27-07, 04:09 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Ultimate Quick Detailer by meguiar's!
Old 11-27-07, 07:46 PM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

drive in coin-op spray bays. cold and quick!
Old 11-27-07, 08:07 PM
taeng
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Gekko
drive in coin-op spray bays. cold and quick!
That's what I used to do when I went to school in buffalo. I actually went to those enclosed bays just to use their water and hand washed it myself since I didn't have a hose at my apt. over there. However back down in NYC there aren't any drive in bays only wash stations that I know of.
Old 11-28-07, 06:01 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

When I'm on the road for extended periods I use the Touchless Laser Wash and Use UQD immediately after with some premium MF towels. No scratches and the car looks great.
Old 11-28-07, 06:51 AM
taeng
Lead Lap

touchless...I'm not too sure if I've seen any of these kind of washes, only see hand car washes. I gotta keep my eye out for those.
Old 11-29-07, 09:16 PM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What happens when you're like me? In Winipeg, it's -10-20 now, there's touchless and enclosed wash bays, but it'll get dirty real quick since there's just salt and snow on the road.... also, the enclosed bays use warm water, but it's freezing cold out, so wouldn't windows break?

How cold can ONR handle? I don't have a garage here and people usually don't really use garages since it'll just stuck closed....

Also, is undercoating really necessary? car's from warmy states, and my car's arriving in a week....
Old 11-29-07, 09:56 PM
LXMN
Lexus Test Driver

Windows won't break so no need to worry about that. The water used in those bays is not that warm where it will immediately change the temperature of the glass to hot. Also note that by the time you get to the car wash, your car's interior is warmed up, thus heating up the glass.

You cannot count on keeping your car spotless in the winter time. It is just a good idea to try and keep the road salt off of your car's finish as much as possible.

Quick Reply: Cold Winter...how do you wash your car?