Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Help! Really Wet Car Mat!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-07, 07:15 AM
Justakid
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Really Wet Car Mat!

So anyways long story short I got about one gallon of water poured onto one car mat. A little water got off of the car mat and on to the floor but i got most of it up with a towel and its dried now. I have had my car mat sitting outside in the Texas heat (and humidity ) for about 2 days, and now it is dry, but it doesnt look or feel right. Wherever the water was is now discolored and if i run my hand over the colored part its all rough feeling. Anyone know how I can fix this?
Old 08-05-07, 11:27 AM
Stokdgs
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have you tried to brush it in different directins, find the "grain"

And then brush it all that way or exactly the opposite of that way? This usually helps get the carpet all even again. Sometimes a really good vacuum will do the same thing. What color is the mat ?

DanF
Old 08-06-07, 01:23 AM
tod071
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Call a detailer with an extractor. Shampoo, disinfect, and remove water stain. Plus, you'll get peace of mind knowing that it was done right.
Old 08-06-07, 04:03 PM
JellyBean
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Justakid
So anyways long story short I got about one gallon of water poured onto one car mat. A little water got off of the car mat and on to the floor but i got most of it up with a towel and its dried now. I have had my car mat sitting outside in the Texas heat (and humidity ) for about 2 days, and now it is dry, but it doesnt look or feel right. Wherever the water was is now discolored and if i run my hand over the colored part its all rough feeling. Anyone know how I can fix this?
You got me with this one because clear water shouldn't stain your mats. Those mats are meant to get wet. I hate to ask, but are you sure that was water? I regularly wash my OEM floor mats with a hose and a multi-purpose cleaner and never had a problem with staining. Could it be that the "stains" are clean spots? As for the texture issue, the poster above is correct - brush with a stiff brush.

JB
Old 08-06-07, 04:52 PM
VroomVroom
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tod071
Call a detailer with an extractor. Shampoo, disinfect, and remove water stain. Plus, you'll get peace of mind knowing that it was done right.
Great advice. Alternatively, you can buy a small extractor, a la Bissell Little Green and do it yourself. Or...just go buy new mats.

Assuming it was plain old water my guess is the staining is from ground-in dirt already in the floor mat. Soak something that's already dirty and let it air-dry, and you'll undoubtedly have stains.
Old 09-03-07, 10:24 PM
Armand
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the staining part is strange if it was just straight clean water but the roughness can be gotten rid of by brushing it back and forth with a stiff brush. same thing would happen in you took a bath towel, soaked it in water and hung it in the sun to dry, you would have a rough feeling towel - that will go away with the brushing and on its own.

as another said, maybe the discoloration is just dirt that worked its way out of the mat and onto the top of the mat fibers.