Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Zymol car polish

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-01, 07:51 AM
dgangi

Has anybody had an experience using Zymol car polish? I have been a die-hard Meguilar's polish fan for a long time but some of my friends have been telling me to try Zymol so I recently broke down and bought some Zymol and used it on both my Tahoe and GS300. The wax went on and off easier than Meguilar's and the outcome looks pretty good (about the same as I experienced with Meguilar's) but I have no idea how long this stuff will last.

Thx...Doug
Old 07-13-01, 08:22 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I have the Zymol (almost done, then its ZAINO TIME). You have the polish with the blue color right? I find that this gives you a wetter look than the meguiars and overall is a better product but not by far.

Old 07-13-01, 10:26 AM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Zymol

I have used the Zymol and was very pleased with the results, but will be trying out Zaino this week. If you go to Autosupermart.com, they have several different types, formulated for your type of paint ie Japanese, American, and Black vs. Clearcoat finishes. Remember that Zymol should be kept refrigerated.
Old 07-13-01, 12:20 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Wink So-So Results

Doug - I've used Zymol & Meguairs religiously before being turned on to Zaino products. The Zymol yielded a slicker finish & slightly deeper shine but only lasted 2 weeks or so & this was on a garaged car. Meguairs lasted only slightly longer but w/o the shine. I felt that both were of the same effort of application so it was somewhat of a tradeoff. Consider trying Zaino as well!
Old 07-13-01, 04:20 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Question Re: Zymol

Originally posted by Johnny Mo
. Remember that Zymol should be kept refrigerated.
Yeah??? I didn't know that. Any reason why?
Old 07-13-01, 05:30 PM
dgangi

Default Zaino

Does Zaino last longer than Zymol or Meguilars? I really hate waxing my car more often than once every 3-4 months, so I want a wax that can hold up that long.

Meguilar's usually lasted about 3 or 4 months on a garaged car based on the "water bead" test. The shine sometimes stood up to the elements that long as well. I just tried out Zymol because some of my friends recommended it to me. Hell...sometimes I get so sick of waxing my car that I am tempted to pull out the good ol' Turtle Wax. The shine is only so-so and my arms get a good workout during the application...but that **** lasts forever!

Thx...Doug
Old 07-14-01, 06:18 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Talking Better Luck Than Me!

Doug - Nope, none of the 3 above products lasted much longer than a month to 6 weeks based on your bead test. Zaino's just so EZ to apply/remove that it's an every other weekend thing for me. I know the workout feeling using a paste wax, be it from Turtle Wax or the Meguairs Gold #29. I believe that's one of tradeoffs between a paste versus a liquid - the emulsifiers used in the liquid seem to prevent the application of as much wax product ( maybe on a percentage basis ) as the paste but it's such a pain to apply/remove! However, the paste lasts twice as long, it seems. Guess U have a choice to make!
Old 07-16-01, 07:20 AM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Default Zymol Refrigeration

Dieselman,

I don't know why, I do know that when my friend purchased some from AutoSupermart it came in a styrofoam case. I had gotten mine from an autoparts store, and they kept it in a refrigerated case too. I can't imagine that goes bad - maybe it gets too soft if its not cold??
Old 07-17-01, 06:34 PM
WJSOLOMON
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Being from a Mid-Western State that produces a lot of Corn, Soybeans, and Pork - I think that one of the reasons that Zymol Car Care Products must be refrigerated, is because of the Lard content.

So far, the FDA has refused any Public Comment, and not returned any of my Collect calls.

I also think that NASA knows something about all of this, as the National Inquirior recently speculated that the Zymol Finishes applied to the Space Shuttle, gives it that "Sizzling Performance" upon re-entry.

Some say that the Pentagon first started experimenting with this lard preservative back around '47 or '48, from some Top Secret Outer Space Project that they were sitting on top of in Rossville, Nevada, assisted at the time, with some crack German Engineers smuggled out of the Rhineland right after the War.

But, to this day, no one really seems to know for sure...............................................................................

SOLO - 1

Old 07-21-01, 11:05 AM
michaelcorbett3
Driver School Candidate

I put in a query in another forum about a product called Toughguard. I put it on my car this week and I've never used a better product! This stuff claims you never wax your car again and I can see why. My '96 LS400 (Diamond Pearl White) looks brand new! I've also been a McGuires fan for years but this stuff is incomparable. Found it on the Toughguard.com web site. You might want to look into it.
Old 07-24-01, 08:25 AM
scrumpjk
Driver School Candidate

i have both the zymol and the meguiers gold class. The zymol adds just about no protection to your car. it is a polish, its purpose is just to give a wet look and shine the meguirs is actually a wax that protects your car. I use both about every two months.
Old 07-24-01, 02:39 PM
bmm89
Driver School Candidate

Are you guys referring to the light blue zymol at kmart for around $10 a bottle. If that is the case, then you'd better look else where or just buy turtle wax. They are exactly the same except for the dyes. REAL zymol is quality and is made overseas, but if you look at the labelling of the "cheapo" zymol, notice it's made in CHICAGO, also notice the shape of the bottle. It's exactly the same as it's turtle wax counterpart. They also feel the same and look the same after application. They may smell and are colored different, but that is it. I was a maguiares gold class user myself. Supposedly the best shine ever, but i haven't used it since finding zaino. Shine is about the same, but durability on the zaino and ease of reapplication is unmatched. Use any wax, but do not pay the $7 extra for "fake" zymol. Just buy the $3turtle wax instead.
Old 07-24-01, 04:58 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Wow, there are "knock-off" waxes and polishes now. What is the world coming to.