Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

New car procedures?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-05, 10:52 AM
bigDlexus
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face New car procedures?

What is the best procedure/products to use on a brand new lexus? I don't think they come with any waxes or polishes on them, so what is the best way to get a new car off to a great start and make life easier for future detailing, etc?

I don't want to get too extreme- I won't be showing the car or anything, just want it to look good and be easy to take care of, keep clean. etc.

Please recommend products and procedures-

Thanks-
Old 05-31-05, 06:34 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you get a lot of stone chips on the highway near you, get clear bra installed on the front end. I didn't and I regret it.

Wax it twice, then wax it once every 3 months. The brand of wax is up to you. I personally prefer Zymol cleaner wax because it is rated very well by Consumer Reports.

I'd spray some Scotch Guard on floor mats. Helps clean off stain later on.

Use a good leather conditioner. I use Turtle Wax Emerald. Apply once every 3 months. If your Lexus is parked outside, use it monthly.

All these products are available at Walmart and Target. Enjoy your new Lex.
Old 05-31-05, 07:52 PM
tod071
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everyone has their personal preferences. Here's what I did after reading the CL site abit.

1) Buy the starter kit from Zaino (Z1, Z2, Z6, Z7 + applicator)
2) Wash car with Dawn (Blue) to remove all prior applications
3) Dry and wash again w/ Zaino Z7 (Car Shampoo)
4) Apply Z1 (Clear pre-polish agent), DO NOT WIPE OFF
5) Apply Z2 (Clearcoat Polish)
6) Wipe off Z2 w/ terry cloth towels, then spray on Z6 and immediately wipe off

It might sound like alot, but trust me, subsequent washes can be done in less then an hour! I've done this since day 1 (2002) and the car still looks brand new, thanks to the help of ClubLexus and Dan the Guitarman guru!
Read through some of the "sticky"s about Zaino and how easy it is as well as the finished product.
www.zainobros.com

todd
Old 05-31-05, 07:56 PM
tod071
Lexus Champion

sorry, wrote so much about the exterior, I forgot to go inside!

All interior + Leather = 303 Aerospace Protectant
Mats = Clear vinyl mats on top of the Lexus floormats ($10 from Walmart). I have black floormats and when I clean the vinyl mats, the Lexus floormats still look brand new!

oh and btw, you can use the Zaino on the glass (exterior) as well.
todd
Old 05-31-05, 11:02 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tod071
Mats = Clear vinyl mats on top of the Lexus floormats ($10 from Walmart). I have black floormats and when I clean the vinyl mats, the Lexus floormats still look brand new!
I'd advise against those clear vinyl floor mats. They feel cheap when stepped on. Also muddy water can roll off those mats and get into the floor carpet - very hard to clean.

Simply toss Lexus floor mats into washing machine (front loader preferred.) Come out like new. Don't forget to use Scotch Guard.
Old 06-01-05, 01:24 AM
tod071
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by HarrierAWD
I'd advise against those clear vinyl floor mats. They feel cheap when stepped on. Also muddy water can roll off those mats and get into the floor carpet - very hard to clean.
Simply toss Lexus floor mats into washing machine (front loader preferred.) Come out like new. Don't forget to use Scotch Guard.
The other reason I use the vinyl is because of the wearing of the carpet, especially where your heel is when driving. Does regular washing keep this area from wearing too?
Old 06-01-05, 06:03 AM
bigDlexus
Driver

Everyone has their personal preferences. Here's what I did after reading the CL site abit.

1) Buy the starter kit from Zaino (Z1, Z2, Z6, Z7 + applicator)
2) Wash car with Dawn (Blue) to remove all prior applications
3) Dry and wash again w/ Zaino Z7 (Car Shampoo)
4) Apply Z1 (Clear pre-polish agent), DO NOT WIPE OFF
5) Apply Z2 (Clearcoat Polish)
6) Wipe off Z2 w/ terry cloth towels, then spray on Z6 and immediately wipe off

It might sound like alot, but trust me, subsequent washes can be done in less then an hour! I've done this since day 1 (2002) and the car still looks brand new, thanks to the help of ClubLexus and Dan the Guitarman guru!
Read through some of the "sticky"s about Zaino and how easy it is as well as the finished product.
www.zainobros.com

todd
Great advice- thanks to all-

I will order some of the zaino today.
Old 06-01-05, 09:34 AM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

The other reason I use the vinyl is because of the wearing of the carpet, especially where your heel is when driving. Does regular washing keep this area from wearing too?
No wear on my Lexus floor mat (or any of my previous cars.) Maybe we wear different shoes. I wash the driver mat once a month, others when they get dirty. Come out clean like new every time. I spray some Simple Green on the oily spots and use Tide liquid detergent.

BTW, don't toss the mat into the dryer. It will melt the rubber backing if it gets too hot. Hang it up and let it dry overnight.

Last edited by HarrierAWD; 06-01-05 at 09:40 AM.
Old 06-19-05, 12:13 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

My mat have heal wear and I wished I bought Exact Mats earlier. They are so easy to clean and perfect for cars in non snow regions, especially you have babies and kids on board.
Old 06-20-05, 11:40 AM
Raz
Driver School Candidate

Default Waterspot paint issue

I've just purchased a new 2006 GS300 and when parked my driveway the sprinkler system soaked the car pretty good. The water dried only to leave behind droplet stains that I'm having a devil of a time removing...any suggestions????
Old 06-20-05, 03:32 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Raz
I've just purchased a new 2006 GS300 and when parked my driveway the sprinkler system soaked the car pretty good. The water dried only to leave behind droplet stains that I'm having a devil of a time removing...any suggestions????
Vinegar will dissolve the mineral deposits. Wet a towel with vinegar and lay it on the spots. Let it rest for about 5 minutes and keep the towel wet. This should dissolve the deposits with almost no rubbing.

You need to get after this asap as if left on the finish it will begin to etch the clear coat.

Vinegar will dissolve most waxes so you will need to reapply.