Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

HID / Plastic Headlight cleaner is AWESOME!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-04, 08:35 PM
BigMoNYC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is great... best $6.49 you can spend!
Old 11-12-04, 03:26 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

I had been using Meguiar's M17 cleaner and M10 polish. They worked well but took a bit of elbow grease; each headlight took between a little less than an hour. Sounds like the newer/cheaper version they brought out is easier...........

Dan, have you had the chance to compare???
Old 11-12-04, 10:21 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

M/T, I too have used the older versions of Meg's plastic cleaner & polish, so I can't comment on the newer stuff.

FWIW, I think it's telling that, when you do a search on "headlight oxidation" & "headlight cleaning" on this and ANY car forum on the internet, you'll find people have success with MANY products and approaches. This should illustrate that just about any abrasive or chemical cleaning product works just fine. I always used 3M rubbing compound and Finesse-It polish with a rotary buffer, and on hard core oxidation on my customers' cars, I often have to wetsand first, followed by the 3M routine. The end result is new looking lens'. So you can get the same end result with a plethora of approaches.

That said, I'm happy to hear of new products that may make the process faster and easier for everyone.
Old 11-12-04, 11:15 AM
GS408
Pole Position

cool..thanks for posting this info....im going to go buy some today!
Old 11-12-04, 01:37 PM
tytgs300
Lead Lap

the Meguiar's cleaner/polish in the black tube sells for $7, that ppl were raving about on CL previously, didnt help much for me on the lenses. Hope this will do it
Old 11-12-04, 08:43 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

So do you guys think that basic medium rubbing compound will have the same effect? It wouldn't leave more scratches, would it?
Old 11-13-04, 07:53 AM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by e-man
So do you guys think that basic medium rubbing compound will have the same effect? It wouldn't leave more scratches, would it?
It might make your headlight look "frosty".
Old 11-13-04, 08:31 AM
Guitarman

I always use rubbing compound, if you have any slight haze or micro scratches, you must finish up with a fine polish. If the oxidation is only minor, you can skip the rubbing compound and START with a fine or medium cut polish.

Most fine-cut rubbing compounds will polish out crystal clear when used properly. Takes some effort by hand though (I use machine). Always rub with medium to heavy pressure initially then light pressure on the last few passes.

The plastic cleaners such as the Meguiar's products, chemically clean, so for the 'average Joe', they would be much easier and less complicated.
Old 11-13-04, 09:26 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Meguiar's PlastX contains diminishing micro-abrasives. It contains no harsh solvents. It does contain a polymer protection to leave the lenses highly water resistant.

Nice product, I've used it on many of my customer's cars as well as my own and it has never failed to delight. It easily removes stains and fine scratches restoring the lens to a like new condition in minutes. It works equally well by hand or with a PC.
Old 11-13-04, 10:09 AM
Guitarman

Everyone has to bear in mind, that cleaners such as the product Jim mentioned are going to have a limited effectiveness on severe yellowing and oxidation, primarily because it has such fine abrasives / cleaners. You'll have to go to a larger grit and possibly sanding for that. Here's someone with a similar reference to what I mean;

http://members.aol.com/agspeed/clean...ight_cover.htm

Been there and done that too.

On light oxidation or regular maintenance cleaning, the plastic polishes will work great. You'll have to break out the heavier stuff for lens' that are too far gone though.

Think of the analogy in terms of paint oxidation; You can use a fine polish on slight paint dulling and be successful, but chalky / dead paint requires compounding and more polishing steps. There is no magic 1 step product that fits every need and situation, for paint or plastic. Cheers.

Last edited by Guitarman; 11-13-04 at 10:23 AM.
Old 11-14-04, 08:22 PM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

nice did you try it on any of the interior plastics yet?

CEO
Old 11-15-04, 08:21 AM
Skinny
Driver

Default Re: HID / Plastic Headlight cleaner is AWESOME!!!

Originally posted by whitels
When the warranty expired on the GS, I kicked myself for not complaining about the hazy, white film or cloud in my headlight. I said, this could be the "condensation" people were talking about. It really looked like dry condensate, like a shower door that hasn't been cleaned for a month. Looking closely, it seemed like the haze is on the inside of the lens.

When driving at night, I could almost see maps being beamed on the road and the HID brightness is not as usual. The haze traps the light and stops brightness from leaving the headlight

Then, the RX was also having the same problem. It was still under warranty and so I took it to the dealer. All the dealer did was clean it and BOOM, they did an amazing job. I thought I could do this to the GS. I searched the internet and zeroed in on a product called Meguiars Plastic Cleaner. I used the #18 first. It cleaned it just a bit but not enough. Then, I got the other bottle, I have in on the picture below. That DID it!!!

I also used it on the park and tailights, worked like a charm. For those of you with the same problem, here is the $6.49 solution and an hour of your time (for all lights with plastic lens).

Here's the BEFORE photo:

So, do I just need the one bottle in the picture you posted??? Or do I need to buy multiple bottles to get the same results as you did?????
Old 11-15-04, 11:19 AM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by THE_CEO
nice did you try it on any of the interior plastics yet?

Not yet, but it's supposed to be "appropriate" for cleaning the platic cover on instrument cluster.

CEO
Old 11-15-04, 11:20 AM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Re: HID / Plastic Headlight cleaner is AWESOME!!!

Originally posted by Skinny
So, do I just need the one bottle in the picture you posted??? Or do I need to buy multiple bottles to get the same results as you did?????
One bottle is more than enough. It could do in my estimate 4 - 6 cars (just headlights).
Old 11-15-04, 11:28 AM
Skinny
Driver

Default Re: Re: Re: HID / Plastic Headlight cleaner is AWESOME!!!

Originally posted by whitels
One bottle is more than enough. It could do in my estimate 4 - 6 cars (just headlights).

I can't find the #18 cleaner on even the MEguiar's website. You remember where you got yours from?

THanks.

Quick Reply: HID / Plastic Headlight cleaner is AWESOME!!!