Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Tire Shining Alternatives?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-04, 02:08 AM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tire Shining Alternatives?

I use Armor-All Extreme Tire Shine but I'm looking for longer lasting, LESS MESSY alternatives. Everytime I spray the tires the rims aquire a film of Armor-All that has to be polished off. The Armor-All also attracts dirt and grime; Its such a hassle that I just stopped shining the tires all together.

For a while I would use a piece of posterboard over the rim to seperate the tire from the rims and prevent over spray but it was too much trouble and messy. Is there an applicator sponge or something? What do detailers use?

[edit]
MODS: Could you leave this in the GS forum for a day so that it recieves more page views? Thank you.

Last edited by TwentyTen; 09-29-04 at 02:11 AM.
Old 09-29-04, 02:54 AM
darden
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i used to use S2000 which worked well. it left the shine for several days even after rain. it was not as greasy as Armor-all.

then i decided to try meguiars which i don't like at all. it is very oily and does not even last a couple of days. if it rains, it's gone instantly.

so i just ordered Zaino's Z-16 Perfect Tire Gloss. they just shipped it so i should get it any day now. i can't wait to try it out.
Old 09-29-04, 03:20 AM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

my friend who is **** as hell about tire shine loves my practice

Darius here's what you do:

Get a bottle of SQUIRT ON (not the spray) Tire Wet by Black Magic (Pep Boys sells it)

Get a Tire Shine foam applicator

Squirt it on the applicator and rub liberally-no runs, no mess

Old 09-29-04, 04:44 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 213 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally posted by NT2SHBBY
my friend who is **** as hell about tire shine loves my practice

Darius here's what you do:

Get a bottle of SQUIRT ON (not the spray) Tire Wet by Black Magic (Pep Boys sells it)

Get a Tire Shine foam applicator

Squirt it on the applicator and rub liberally-no runs, no mess

Not even the spray of very small drops of the stuff on the car after driving it over 70 mph for a few mins? That is the problem I have and after every wash and a short drive I have to wipe off the side of the car because of tiny black droplets of the stuff.

I use Meguirs product and it is very long lasting. The only problem is the above.
Old 09-29-04, 04:51 AM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Hameed
Not even the spray of very small drops of the stuff on the car after driving it over 70 mph for a few mins? That is the problem I have and after every wash and a short drive I have to wipe off the side of the car because of tiny black droplets of the stuff.

I use Meguirs product and it is very long lasting. The only problem is the above.
negative...it does not run AT ALL!!! and I am a VERY aggressive driver
Old 09-29-04, 04:53 AM
Djdelite
Pole Position

I use Megiuar's Hot SPray/shine...somethin like that...with the foam applicator u can pick up in a pack of 2 at Auto Zone or something...Get a palmolive rubber glove so u get no mess on your hands as well.. I let my car sit and dry for a while after using this so the tire shine doesn't spit up on the side of your car.. jus added my 2 cents....
Old 09-29-04, 06:24 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I am also a fan of the Meguiar's Hot Shine product. Meguiar's has two different Hot Shine products. One is an aerosol that has an adjustable head that adjusts the spray from narrow to wide. The other is a trigger spray. The aerosol dries faster than the trigger spray but I prefer the trigger spray used with a foam applicator. With it you have no overspray issues. I apply the dressing to a clean tire and let it sit for a few minutes then I buff off the excess with a cotton towel. Pay extra attention to wiping the dressing excess from the groves ringing your tire. If you are seeing brown gunk when applying the dressing, your tire is not clean and the expired brown antiozonants could wind up on the side of your car. Here is what Hot Shine looks like on the 18" GoodYears.

FWIW, for tire cleaning I use Orange Blast, diluted 10-1. Apply with a foam applicator, let it sit for a couple minutes and rinse it off. I then pressure wash the tire. A brush would work as well but I find the pressure washer to be quicker. Orange Blast will remove wax if left on paint or wheels long enough so apply accordingly and occasionally reapply a sealant to your wheels.

Last edited by jfelbab; 09-29-04 at 06:29 AM.
Old 09-29-04, 07:57 AM
2KGS400
Driver

I use Cover All and am more impressed with it than anything else I've tried. It comes in a pretty plain looking spray can for around $5 (a little pricey but worth it).
No wiping, no runs, no spin off and lasts weeks.
Old 09-29-04, 10:15 AM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Thanks for all of the responses. I think I am going to use a combination of all of your suggestions. I'll get an applicator sponge the next time I'm @ Kragen or AutoZone, slip on the PalmOlive rubber gloves, spray the sponge and apply, allow it to dry before driving.

jfelbab: If you are concerned about the Orange Blast being too harsh, I use TireFoam a couple minutes before washing the car and it loosens all of the "Armor-All grime" on the rubber. Safe for paint and doesn't overspray.

One more question before I switch products (because I just bought a huge Costco-sized bottle of Armor-All ) Does anyone have a problem with grime buildup. I think because AA is so greasy it collects dirt from every source imaginable.

Car washing Habits: I don't wash the car very often. It is garaged and I wipe it down and use Maguiars Quik Detailer before it gets too bad. I clean the tires maybe once every 10 days, but I have to clean the rims 3 times a week.
Old 09-29-04, 03:59 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default tire shine

No one recommended Black Magic Tire Gel. If you use too much it's wacked. Put on enough to do the job and you won't use anything else again. It lasts for a long time. Once your tires get used to it you won't have to use it every time you wash the wheels/tires. It wipes on with a damp sponge. After doing all four, go back around for a second wipe (don't add more gel). It will stick tight but won't attract dirt and won't sling with a second wipe.
Old 09-29-04, 05:00 PM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Thanks Reggie!!
Old 09-29-04, 05:01 PM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by darden
i used to use S2000 which worked well. it left the shine for several days even after rain. it was not as greasy as Armor-all.

then i decided to try meguiars which i don't like at all. it is very oily and does not even last a couple of days. if it rains, it's gone instantly.

so i just ordered Zaino's Z-16 Perfect Tire Gloss. they just shipped it so i should get it any day now. i can't wait to try it out.
Keep us posted
Old 09-29-04, 09:35 PM
darden
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Darius2004
Keep us posted
i just received the Zaino Tire shine bottle today. need to take my car for a 15,000 mile service this weekend. then the weekend after, i will be waxing the car with multiple coats to get ready for the winter time. i will also be trying out the new tire shine. i will post some pictures in a couple of weeks.

Last edited by darden; 09-29-04 at 09:35 PM.
Old 09-29-04, 09:52 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by darden
i just received the Zaino Tire shine bottle today. need to take my car for a 15,000 mile service this weekend. then the weekend after, i will be waxing the car with multiple coats to get ready for the winter time. i will also be trying out the new tire shine. i will post some pictures in a couple of weeks.
The Zaino Tire will give you a clean/black tire look but not the glossy look. If you are looking for the latter, then you may be disappointed. This is a pic of my wheels at HIN earlier this year. Although the tire is not as clean as it should be (since I had to drive to the venue), I did wipe it down and put on a fresh coat of Zaino.

It is nice and clean looking, but not glossy.

Last edited by Neo; 09-29-04 at 10:02 PM.
Old 09-29-04, 09:59 PM
darden
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Neo
The Zaino Tire will give you a clean/black tire look but not the glossy look. If you are looking for the latter, then you may be disappointed. This is a pic of my wheels at HIN earlier this year. Although the tire is not as clean as it should be (since I had to drive to the venue), I did wipe it down and out a fresh coat of Zaino.

It is nice and clean looking, but not glossy.
thanks for the heads up. i am so used to the glossy look for years so it will be interesting to see the non-glossy clean black look.

i have been applying the meguiars using a sponge but i hated how my hand got all greasy and oily... maybe i was using too much.

Quick Reply: Tire Shining Alternatives?