Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Best Car Care Products ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-01, 08:21 AM
Bobcat
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I'd like your input on the best interior and exterior car care products available (including applicators for wash/wax, brushes, towels, chamois, etc). Mean Gene said a lot of you like the Zaino products. I found a website that looks interesting called www.zymol.com with lots of products. Anyone used Zymol?

Thanks,
Bobcat
Old 04-17-01, 09:57 AM
gsnav
Lead Lap

there is good place to check out about car care articles, it's www.carcareonline.com. Check out what they say about products. There is also another site called www.autolounge.com. They also have good articles and good prices on stuff.

GsNav@clublexus.com
Old 04-17-01, 10:15 AM
Bobcat
Pole Position

Thanks GsNav!

Looks like there's lots of good info on those sites.

What do you use on yer car?
Old 04-17-01, 10:38 AM
VeilSideGS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Meguiars...

www.meguiars.com

The VERY BEST that car care products has to offer...
Old 04-17-01, 10:47 AM
gsnav
Lead Lap

No problem!!! Just want to help out a fellow clublexus member. Actually for wax i use the One Grand Blitz Wax on my bare hand. haha. For soap, i use the P21S Car Shampoo, i talked to some people and they said there are chemicals in the car to restore the paint. I use P21S polish. I also use hte P21S wheel washer soap ( not sure if that's the name ) on my wheels.

GsNav@clublexus.com
Old 04-17-01, 11:48 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Exclamation You want a mirror finish?

*Meguiars!*

End of DISCUSSION!!! :eek:
Old 04-17-01, 12:21 PM
MikeGS4PE
Lexus Test Driver

Zaino.
Old 04-18-01, 10:22 AM
1BadGS
Driver School Candidate

Lightbulb Sure bets

I've used Zymol for some time now the best product I think they offer is the cleaner/wax and the polish is also good. If you can find the wheel cleaning set its awsome. The Cleaner/Wax on my black GS does an outstanding job. However, I don't think it lasts that long. Another excellent wax you can try is Ibiz I usually get a couple of bottles at the autoshow every year, or you can order direct from them. The Ibiz is a fantastic wax, however if you want to remove swirls and haze go first with the Zymol cleaner/wax. I used to use p21s shampoo's and other products but they're hard for me to find. As for Mcguier's I think they're over rated. I checked out the Zaino bros. site and I think I'm going to give them a shot now too, I let you know how it works out
Good Luck & I hope this helped
Ethan
00/GS4/Nak/L-tuned exhaust/ecu/springs/shocks
Old 04-18-01, 07:19 PM
Ira Senoff
Driver

Default Car Cleaning Info

I am a retired car detailer. I owned my business for 6 years and sold it only to attend law school. Even though I have been practicing law for four years, I still detail my own cars and friends cars. I am absolutely meticulous about what I use and how I use it. I have used just about every retail and commercial product known to man and have my favorites depending on color, condition, effort to be exerted and method of application (exterior).

In good condition (no real deep scratches, no bird crap stains, etc) use these steps
1. Wash with a good foamy soap and a real boar's hair brush
2. Dry car - run water over body (no hose nozzle), use leaf blower to blow off excess water, spray body with Ardex Speed Shine, dry car with cloth baby diapers (if possible) or soft beaten up 100 year old decaying beach towels dried w/o fabric softener
3. Use Griot's Garage or Ardex Clay (remove surface grit, grime, and invisible junk) w/ Ardex Rapid Wax (spray on - lubricant for clay)
4. Apply either:
a. 3M Imperial Body Shop Hand Glaze (awesome on dark color cars) OR
b. Zymol HD Cleanse OR
c. Pinnicale glaze
(chemical choice color & condition dependent)

5. WAX-
a. Zymol Destiny ($300 per can) tough to use, great shine, by hand, not worth the money (unless you are Bill Gates) I still have the stuff and use it but only because I received it as a gift
b. Griot's Garage Best of Show ($20) liquid, easy to use real nice finish, by hand, Best liquid on the market (great on black)
c. Collonite - $20 paste wax, use Rapid wax as lubricant to aid spread and removal by hand - awesome stuff, almost as good as the Destiny - I love this stuff
d. Mother's Liquid - cheap, easy, good over the counter stuff

Interior is a no brainer:
Leather - Lexol Leather conditioner and cleaner (two step)
Carpet - Ardex (commercial) carpet shampoo, stiff hand held brush, and a carpet extractor (deep steam cleaner)
Windows - Ardex "Overspray" (mixed 1 to 1 w/ water)
Vinyl, Tire, and Degreaser - Ardex citrus based cleaner (mix ratio depends on use)
Vinyl Treat - Ardex Outrageous

Tires and Engine Shine - Ardex (it blue, can't remember name) applied with paint brush or sponge

Note:

Always use real cloth baby diapers to remove wax; wash in washing machine, dry in dryer WITHOUT fabric softener. If you must use something different, buy the Griot's Garage disposable cotton wipes, nice alternative

Change towels often

Use foam wax pad to apply wax

Always small sections

Best time to wax car outside (if you must), early in AM (7 am - 9 am) not too hot outside and you can see everything. Just did it this past weekend, it was enjoyable way to start the day. GS got clayed then 2 coats of Collonite, smooth as a baby's bottom...

Old 04-18-01, 09:17 PM
Bobcat
Pole Position

Default wow

This advice is incredible. Ira, my GS is white. I noticed some of your recommendations were dependent on the color of the vehicle. I know you've already written a book, which I appreciate, but could you narrow down your recommendations for a white GS (1999). As far as I can tell the paint seems to be in pretty good condition.

Also, do you recommend a specific car wash product, you just said "a good foamy soap."

Your step 3 was a little confusing. You said to use Griot's Garage or Ardex Clay w/ Ardex Rapid Wax. Does that mean you use Ardex Clay first and then follow up with Ardex Rapid Wax? - or - use Griot's first and then follow up with Ardex Rapid Wax? I'm confused.

By the way, how often do you recommend doing those steps? I will probably wash my car once a week during spring, summer, fall. How often do you do steps 3, 4 and 5?

P.S. I live in Columbia, MD. a suburb of Washington, DC.
Old 04-18-01, 09:29 PM
Intellexual
Lead Lap

Default Thanks Ira

Thanks Ira for all the advice...I too appreciate it.

I've been looking for products to buy to best care for my 2000 White GS and was frustrated by the conflicting opinions of nearly EVERYONE on every board I visit. Everyone seems to have their own preferences.

I have a couple of questions for you if you don't mind:

Being a rather conventional car washer (not hardcore), there are a few things I find outright missing in my routine and in some cases, I am using incorrect procedure.

I was recently introduced to the wonders of the clay bar through tons of recommendations of the stuff. Is "Clay-Magic" a good brand for clay bars? I hear that they are better than Mequiars and Mothers, but don't know how it compares to Griot's Garage and Ardex's stuff.

Some people say if you are gonna clay, you can wash the car using a dish washing liquid to strip all the way on it (because you are going to rewax anyways)...Is this true?

Clay bars are also known to remove paint "overspray." WHAT is that?

For Step #4 in your procedure, you recommend 3M handglaze, Zymol HD cleanse, etc.....are these polishes? I've never polished any car that I've owned before, whats the proper way of doing this? How does it help appearance/protection of paint?

Regarding wax, it is best to use foam wax pad to apply the wax? Should this be done in a circular motion or in a front-back motion?

"Always use real cloth baby diapers to remove wax"
Remove wax? I've never done this before either, heh. Why do you need to remove the wax?

And for waxes, is liquid wax or paste wax better? Where can I buy that Collonite stuff?

Thanks for all the help Ira!
Old 04-19-01, 08:36 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up Good Choices!

Guess this is another subjective thread! I'm not a pro like Ira but I do mine & friend's show rides as a favor. I've used Meguairs & Zymol &, while I think those are great products, IMO, Zaino's hard to beat! Never used it before I found this website & Alex Ulan. turned me onto it & my black GS has never been shinier. Zymol goes on/off easy but has never lasted long for me. I did half the GS with the full multi-step Meguairs ( my old favorite ) treatment & the other with Zaino & even my wife could tell that the Z'd side was shinier & had less swirls. The biggest downside to Z is the time involved - the waiting periods between coats. Sal Zaino conflicts some of Ira's experience, particularly the use of diapers but if it works for Ira, I'm OK with it. Not saying who's right or wrong here - suppose it depends on the particular product that's being used. Anyway, in support of Zaino, I've even converted 2 local setail shops to the product.
Old 04-20-01, 03:35 AM
Ira Senoff
Driver

Default Re: wow

BOBCAT

MY GS IS WHITE TOO. DEPENDS ON WHAT YOU NEED, IF YOU ARE IN PRETTY GOOD SHAPE, NO STAINING ETC, JUST FOLLOW BELOW. IF YOU HAVE SOME PROBLEM AREAS, IF I COULD SEE THE CAR, I COULD GIVE YOU SOME IDEAS.

Also, do you recommend a specific car wash product, you just said "a good foamy soap."

THERE ARE A GREAT DEAL OF GOOD FOAMY SOAPS. I USE ARDEX BUT HAVE USED ARMOR ALL SOAP IN THE PAST. JUST DON'T WANT ANYONE TO FALL FOR THE ZYMOL SOAP, $12.00 FOR 8 OZ WHEN A GAL OF ARDEX IS $12.00.

Your step 3 was a little confusing. You said to use Griot's Garage or Ardex Clay w/ Ardex Rapid Wax. Does that mean you use Ardex Clay first and then follow up with Ardex Rapid Wax? - or - use Griot's first and then follow up with Ardex Rapid Wax? I'm confused.

USE EITHER BRAND OF CLAY BUT IN ORDER TO USE ANY CLAY, YOU HAVE TO HAVE A LUBRICANT TO SLIDE IT ACROSS THE BODY. YOU COULD USE ANY OF THE SPEED SHINES ETC BUT I PREFER TO USE RAPID WAX, LITTLE THICKER, SLOWER TO DRY AND HAS SOLVENT IN IT THAT HELPS TO BREAK DOWN CRAP ON THE SURFACE

By the way, how often do you recommend doing those steps? I will probably wash my car once a week during spring, summer, fall. How often do you do steps 3, 4 and 5?

AS NEEDED DEPENDING ON DRIVING - WELL KEPT DAILY DRIVER = 2 TO 3 TIMES PER YEAR. I USUALLY WASH THE CAR TWICE A WEEK AND APPLY LIGHT COATS OF WAX IN BETWEEN THE CLAY JOBS

P.S. I live in Columbia, MD. a suburb of Washington, DC.

I AM IN NJ, 2 1/2 HOURS AWAY. FEEL FREE TO STOP UP OR, IN THE ALTERNATIVE, I'LL LET YOU KNOW WHEN I AM IN YOUR NECK OF THE WOODS AT AN IASCA EVENT.

Old 04-20-01, 03:55 AM
Ira Senoff
Driver

Default Re: Thanks Ira

Intellexual

Being a rather conventional car washer (not hardcore), there are a few things I find outright missing in my routine and in some cases, I am using incorrect procedure.

CAR WASHING COULD BE A WEBSITE OF ITS OWN. I LEFT OUT THAT I USE TWO 20 GALLON BUCKETS; ONE WITH THE SOAPY WATER, ONE WITH CLEAR WATER. ALWAYS RINSE YOUR BRUSH (OR SPONGE) IN A SEPARATE BUCKET SO AS NOT TO CONTINUALLY SCRATCH THE FINISH.

ALSO, IF THE PAINT (BODY) IS COOL, USE COOL WATER; IF THE BODY IS WARM, USE WARM TO HOT WATER. KEEPS YOU FROM "SHOCKING" THE PAINT AND POSSIBLY CAUSING MICRO CRACKS IN THE FINISH.

WASH FROM TOP TO BOTTOM, FRONT TO BACK AND HOSE IT OFF THE SAME WAY (USE THE DRIP RAILS TO YOUR ADVANTAGE)

ETC ETC

I was recently introduced to the wonders of the clay bar through tons of recommendations of the stuff. Is "Clay-Magic" a good brand for clay bars? I hear that they are better than Mequiars and Mothers, but don't know how it compares to Griot's Garage and Ardex's stuff.

I HAVEN'T USED CLAY MAGIC BARS. I REALLY LIKE GRIOT'S BUT USE ARDEX IN A PINCH

Some people say if you are gonna clay, you can wash the car using a dish washing liquid to strip all the way on it (because you are going to rewax anyways)...Is this true?

YUP! BUT WHY BOTHER. YOU USE THE SOAP TO NOT ONLY REMOVE WAX BUT DIRT. IF THE DISH SOAP IS NOT AS FOAMY, THE DIRT IT SHOULD LIFT OFF THE PAINT WILL REMAIN CLOSE TO THE BODY AND IF YOU GO OVER THAT AREA AGAIN, YOU RUN THE RISK OF SCRATCHING YOUR FINISH.

Clay bars are also known to remove paint "overspray." WHAT is that?

OVERSPRAY AS DEFINED BY "SENOFF ON DETAILING":

THE FINE MIST OF PAINT THAT FINDS ITS WAY UNDERNEATH THE **** POOR MASKING JOB DONE BY THE SLOPPY, CARELESS SOB AT A MEDIOCRE BODY SHOP AND ONTO YOUR FINISH.

EVERY SPRAY A BLACK CAN OF SPRAY PAINT INTO YOUR WHEEL WELLS (DONE ON USED CARS TO SELL THEM FASTER) AND GET A LITTLE MISTING ON THE FENDER LIP. OVERSPRAY

For Step #4 in your procedure, you recommend 3M handglaze, Zymol HD cleanse, etc.....are these polishes? I've never polished any car that I've owned before, whats the proper way of doing this? How does it help appearance/protection of paint?

3M HANDGLAZE IS A GLAZE

HD CLEANSE AND PINNICALE GO A LITTLE FURTHER INTO THE REALM OF POLISH. FYI, HD CLEASE IS SOME SERIOUS STUFF AND IF USED RIGHT CAN FIX A PLEATHORA OF PAINT PROBLEMS. ( I ATTENDED ZYMOL SCHOOL IN THE EARLY 1990'S)

Regarding wax, it is best to use foam wax pad to apply the wax?

MY PREFERENCE

Should this be done in a circular motion or in a front-back motion?

I USE TIGHT LIGHT CIRCULAR MOTIONS, JUST LIKE MIYAGI TAUGHT ME

"Always use real cloth baby diapers to remove wax"
Remove wax? I've never done this before either, heh. Why do you need to remove the wax?

WHEN YOU PUT WAX ON, YOU HAVE TO RUB OFF THE EXCESS, RIGHT........

And for waxes, is liquid wax or paste wax better? Where can I buy that Collonite stuff?

BETTER IN WHAT SENSE?

LIQUID IS EASIER TO USE BUT IN ORDER TO MAKE IT A LIQUID, THE MFR MUST USE SOLVENTS TO SUSPEND THE CARNUBA IN THE LIQUID. THEREFORE, IT IS LESS CARNUBA DENSE AND WILL NOT LAST AS LONG AS PASTE. SHINE DEPENDS ON THE QUALITY OF THE PRODUCT ETC.

COLLINITE - MFR'D IN UTICA NEW YORK. PAL AUTOMOTIVE IN EDISON (OR IS IT PISCATAWAY) NEW JERSEY IS MY LOCAL DISTRIBUTOR
Old 04-20-01, 03:57 AM
Bobcat
Pole Position

Cool THANKS

Thanks Ira.

I know you swear by the diapers, but I was curious about cheesecloth. Years ago I used to use it for wax removal ... seemed to work great. Is it not good?

What part of Jersey are you in? I don't get up there too often, but it would be cool to stop by.

Would you mind sending me your email address in case I have other questions?

Thanks to all for your input. This forum is the best.

Quick Reply: Best Car Care Products ?