Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

wax for my lex??

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-01, 11:35 AM
lordpeter

Question

What's the best wax to keep my 99 Golden Pearl SC300 looking sharp?

I used to be a Zymol man for a long time. Then I went through a phase of Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze followed by Zymol. But I liked it better with just the Klasse. I still kind of like that but I am always open to new suggestions.
Old 04-12-01, 01:18 PM
chowder
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

people here are generally big fans of zaino.
http://zainobros.com/
now if the weather would just cooperate, i could get my car looking fine again...
Old 04-12-01, 11:54 PM
Jazziz
Driver

Thumbs up

Hey Lordpeter,
Even my wife noticed a difference after I applied the zanio bros product, so I concluded this stuff is really good. It's a little pricey and it takes some time to apply properly per the instructions, but I was definitely impressed with the results. I hear it is even more impressive on darker colored cars.
Old 04-13-01, 11:22 PM
bmm89
Driver School Candidate

Just today, my cousin, BMW 328i owner, decided to call and ask what i used for my gs, and when he heard that is cost around $50 initially, he didn't even hesitate to ask where and how to get it. It's that good, and it lasts and lasts.
Old 04-15-01, 06:02 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

I use GOLD GLASS WAX by Meguairs. Its awesome. Its like a mirror after I finish waxing.
Old 04-15-01, 07:29 PM
anthracitetarga
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool Meguiars Deep Crystal System

I have a 1992 White Pearl SC300 and i use Meguiars Deep Crystal System. It is a three step process but it is worth the time and money. We also use it on my dad's 1999 GS300 and my mom's Toyota 4Runner.
Meguiars is also endorsed by Lexus so u know it has to at least meet the standards of Lexus.

http://www.meguiars.com.au/ameguiars_full_products.htm
Old 04-15-01, 09:09 PM
duster
Driver

Cool Wax only? Try Collinite

I've used Collinite - Marque de elegance for a while now and just love it.

The Collinite wont last as long as Klasse, but the shine is better IMHO. I still use the Klasse on my wife's van and put on a top coat of the Collinite when I get the chance.

Unless you are already up on all this stuff, you probably should do some research on the whole clean/polish/wax concept. There are some good car care websites around that can guide you through the basic process.

Old 04-17-01, 12:34 PM
MikeGS4PE
Lexus Test Driver

I would also suggest Zaino.
Old 05-04-01, 09:07 PM
garnet92
Lexus Test Driver

Default Lex Wax

What’s the best wax? Always a popular question – I keep looking for the “perfect wax” too. Have tried a bunch (got 5 in the garage right now) and so far have personally preferred Meguiars – last applied 3 wks ago. Saw the several mentions of Zaino here and checked their website – lots of testimonials. Called New Jersey several times, no human, leave a message – finally got a human – can’t buy on website – they don’t do credit cards – all in all, fairly difficult and quirky to do business with. However, they now have a distributor in the Dallas area (perhaps other places too?) and he was eager to sell some product. I’m gonna do a test (hope this weekend) and wax half of the trunk – go through all the (extensive) process and see if it’s as good as they say. It’s expensive and the multi-step application looks like a pain – it better be good. I’ll report in.
Old 05-05-01, 04:55 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

I've ordered Zaino too (partially based on reports of shine, more emphasis on reported durability).....in theory, it's on the way. Garnet, I'll be interested in your side by side since I'm willing to spend the time on Zaino (now and then) if the shine + durability is worth it.

Old 05-05-01, 06:42 AM
garnet92
Lexus Test Driver

Default Zaino

Roger that Mooretorque - sounds like we're interested in the same thing - I don't care what it's called - brand names are only known because of advertising anyway - if it fits the bill I'll use it - if it's no better than Meguiars I'll go back. Be interested in your opinion when you try it.
Regards
Old 05-05-01, 08:07 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool FWIW

All - I've been a die-hard Meguiars man all my life until I tried Zaino on my black GS. I also did the side by side comparison that ya'll R referring to on my hood. Even my wife could tell that the Zaino side was shinier & less swirled - that sold me! It can be a long affair to apply, especially the initial treatments because of the wait between coats ( car down all weekend ) but once U get it where U want it, a coat of Z-2/3 every other weekend keeps it up - it's more durable than that but I like the shine generated by more frequent applications. BTW - there is also an optical difference between the Z-5 & Z-2/3 as I did the same test on my hood after a month or so. The boss ( wife ) said the Z-3 side was shinier than the Z-5. Now I still use Meguiars on my company truck because I ain't going thru all those multiple coats twice!! Meguiars would be my close #2 choice but stick with whatever works best for ya'll!
Old 05-05-01, 02:47 PM
garnet92
Lexus Test Driver

Question Zaino update

An update on the Zaino experiment: Ended up doing the rearmost ¼ of the car (rear wheels back). Doing ½ of the trunk wasn’t realistic since you’re supposed to wash the car with Dawn dishwashing liquid to remove previous wax – since I just waxed with Meguiars 3 wks ago and storms are expected this evening – wasn’t going to unprotect entire car unless ready to re-wax whole car. Applied the Z-1 pre-cleaner and then the Z-2 polish after Z-1 hazed over. Went on easy and came off easy. Looks good – at least as good as Meguiars – maybe slightly better. Didn’t use the clay – I’ll try it next time. Right now I’d say a push – looks slightly better but more trouble to apply. Not yet sprayed with Z-6 – maybe tomorrow. Don’t know if that will make a significant difference. If it sounds complicated, it is. I’ll withhold judgment until I get a chance to do the whole car. It looks good, no mistake about that – is it worth the effort? Jury still out for me. Incidently, my SC is the Garnet Pearl color - like a candy apple red.
Old 05-07-01, 12:09 AM
Jazziz
Driver

I'm still won over by the Zaino. I put 5 coats of the Z5 on. The Z5 actually builds up layers filling in the fine scratches. I initially tested it on a piece of glass then scraped it off with a razor blade and it's kinda like really thin clear coat. The Z2/3 is thicker and has higher reflective properties than the Z5. My paint was relatively new when I applied it, so I didn't have to clay. Just put at least 3 coats of Z5, depending on the amount of swirl and spider webbing you have, and finish with a couple of coats of Z2/3. It took me a week to do because it was in the 20's outside and my tiny room heater didn't heat the garage adequately.

Garnet you will like it
Old 05-07-01, 12:14 AM
Jazziz
Driver

I'm still won over by the Zaino. I put 5 coats of the Z5 on. The Z5 actually builds up layers filling in the fine scratches. I initially tested it on a piece of glass then scraped it off with a razor blade and it's kinda like really thin clear coat. Zaino is definitely not a wax. The Z1 creates a bond to the paint, so it doesn't sit on the paint like a wax. The Z2/3 is thicker and has higher reflective properties than the Z5. My paint was relatively new when I applied it, so I didn't have to clay. Just put at least 3 coats of Z5, depending on the amount of swirl and spider webbing you have, and finish with a couple of coats of Z2/3. It took me a week to do because it was in the 20's outside and my tiny room heater didn't heat the garage adequately.

Garnet you will like it!

Quick Reply: wax for my lex??