Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

All about Lexus leather

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-08, 07:02 AM
DCCINC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Gs350

My car has light beige leather interior and is about 1 yr old. The driver's seat has a band right where my belt hits the seat that looks like it's stained from the belt. I've never had ANY car do this so went to the dealership. They basically said there is nothing to do and learn to live with the dirty looking seat.

Does anyone know how I might clean the leather without removing the dye or damaging the leather? I've tried a number of things including numerous leather cleaners but nothing has touched it. It's almost as if the leather is defective! Im frustrated.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

DCC
Old 06-02-08, 08:26 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by DCCINC
My car has light beige leather interior and is about 1 yr old. The driver's seat has a band right where my belt hits the seat that looks like it's stained from the belt. I've never had ANY car do this so went to the dealership. They basically said there is nothing to do and learn to live with the dirty looking seat.

Does anyone know how I might clean the leather without removing the dye or damaging the leather? I've tried a number of things including numerous leather cleaners but nothing has touched it. It's almost as if the leather is defective! Im frustrated.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

DCC
There is not a lot you can do. Time to chuck that belt for starters. I'd guess that the stain/oils used in tanning the belt have leached into the seat. For those who think that your coated leather seats cannot absorb a conditioner take note. Coated leather is still porous.

I'd try using Woolite 1:6 dilution with a soft bristle brush. Sscrub the area and wipe it dry with a white cotton towel. You could try wiping the area down with isoporphyl alcohol then wipe with a wet towel. Dry and apply a dedicated conditioner. I'd not go much further of it were me. It may fade some over time.

You could try a magic eraser but bear in mind that you will be removing some of the leather coating if you do. Don't get too aggressive or you will scrub the color coat right off the leather.
Old 06-02-08, 08:40 AM
DCCINC
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll give it a shot and let you know!
Old 06-21-08, 05:28 PM
djlrx300
Driver School Candidate

First, I would like to say thanks for all the great info that has been posted. Being a new Lexus owner (2000 RX300), I've found some great info!!

My question comes from cleaning and conditioning my leather today. This is the first car we've owned with leather interior so I'm a newbie when it comes to care (thank god for this post!!). I purchased the Lexus cleaner and conditioner and went to town on the passenger side first. We have gray leather and for the most part it didn't look that bad...actually it looked pretty darn good from what I could tell...although I have nothing to compare it to. As I started to massage the cleaner into a stain I had found, I started getting what seemed to be flakes or very small pieces of something. The towel was getting dirty and I noticed the area I was massaging/scrubbing was starting to look and feel different than the rest of the seat. I could definitely tell where I had been working. So I continued to get the same look/feel and to not have a "weird" spot on the seat. Needless to say, I had a lot of stuff on the towel and I was getting a little concerned. This post mentioned that there is a coating on the seats and I started wondering if I could actually have been taking the coating off??? Or am I just paranoid and the seats are that dirty??? We've had the vehicle for a couple months and it only has 58,000 miles on it, but I have no idea how often or if the seats had ever been cleaned.

Can someone please shed some light on this and hopefully ease my mind!! I've only done the passenger side for now just to be on the safe side.

Thanks in advance!!
Old 09-08-08, 09:45 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

for the record, sprayway no. 985 citrus crazy clean is the best product i've used on my gs300 interior. the ivory shows every little dirt or stain and its quite a pain in the *** but the sprayway works wonders. Only about 4 bucks a can where i'm from and in using it for my detailing side jobs i have been able to do about 10 full interiors from one can.
Old 10-19-08, 03:38 PM
infiniti24
Lead Lap

I'm a Connelly Hide Foods person myself I gets the job done and make my leather feel perfect and not slick at all
Old 11-18-08, 08:30 PM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lexol was always popular in the Mercedes Club. For years I thought I was doing the right thing by using it. In 1997 I attended the national Rolls-Royce Owner's Club meet and was told during a leather workshop Lexol contains silicone. The fellow conducting the workshop, who did high dollar restorations, told us about a company called Leatherique. When I returned home I called the company and ordered their products. I was able to save the original leather inside my 1967 Lincoln convertible by following their instructions. What was once becoming like cardboard is now glove soft leather. Their products are all natural. I have never found a product that is even a close second.
My favorite products they sale are "Rejuvinator Oil" and "Pristine Clean". It is my intention to use the "Pristine Clean" on my 06 LS interior as I fear the "Rejuvinator Oil" would make the hides too soft. The hides in my LS are so much thinner than those found in older cars.
I am in no way affiliated with the company. Their web site is www.leatherique.com
The following users liked this post:
mkmckinley (03-16-20)
Old 12-02-08, 03:05 PM
arpus 7
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Leather therapy

I just used a product called Leather therapy and it worked great on my 05 LS-430 Ultra.It was originally made for saddles, but they have a auto line with uv added. Depending on amount used it has a natural look -light satin look.
Old 12-28-08, 10:12 PM
JJG2005
Lead Lap

I have used various auto store cleaning products with excellent results... I kind of work the prouct in with a soft to medium density brush, spray a bit more product to clean up all the dirt it brought to the surface, and wipe dry with a clean microfiber. Just be very careful when doing so... and always use the weakest product first. (Don't try any type of degreaser without trying woolite or over the counter detailing stuff first..)
Old 12-29-08, 05:56 AM
jfelbab

It is also a good idea to not let the leather get too wet when you clean it. When done cleaning, wipe the leather down with a clean, dampened MF to remove all traces of detergent, especially at the seams. Go over the leather with a dry MF for a few minutes to buff dry. If you get leather too wet it can harden up when it dries. After it dries, apply your protectant.

FWIW, Lexus recommends in the owners manual, using a detergent meant for wool at a 5% dilution to clean your leather.

Keeping your leathers clean is the single most effective thing you can do to preserve them.
Old 12-29-08, 06:08 AM
jfelbab

Originally Posted by djlrx300
First, I would like to say thanks for all the great info that has been posted. Being a new Lexus owner (2000 RX300), I've found some great info!!

My question comes from cleaning and conditioning my leather today. This is the first car we've owned with leather interior so I'm a newbie when it comes to care (thank god for this post!!). I purchased the Lexus cleaner and conditioner and went to town on the passenger side first. We have gray leather and for the most part it didn't look that bad...actually it looked pretty darn good from what I could tell...although I have nothing to compare it to. As I started to massage the cleaner into a stain I had found, I started getting what seemed to be flakes or very small pieces of something. The towel was getting dirty and I noticed the area I was massaging/scrubbing was starting to look and feel different than the rest of the seat. I could definitely tell where I had been working. So I continued to get the same look/feel and to not have a "weird" spot on the seat. Needless to say, I had a lot of stuff on the towel and I was getting a little concerned. This post mentioned that there is a coating on the seats and I started wondering if I could actually have been taking the coating off??? Or am I just paranoid and the seats are that dirty??? We've had the vehicle for a couple months and it only has 58,000 miles on it, but I have no idea how often or if the seats had ever been cleaned.

Can someone please shed some light on this and hopefully ease my mind!! I've only done the passenger side for now just to be on the safe side.

Thanks in advance!!
You did indeed remove some of the coating. Not a good thing to do. What were you using as a pad to clean the seats. Sounds like that was too abrasive. I'd suggest using a foam pad when cleaning the seats. It should no require much pressure not much cleaner. Often I read where someone will use an abrasive pad like a ScotchBrite, or harsh chemicals to remove soil. This coating on your leather is much like the paint on your car. Don't use anything abrasive on it or you will remove the coating. Repair will be costly. That coating provides a uniform texture, color and protection to the leather. Now in the area that is gone you will see quite a difference in looks, and performance from the leather. Remember that this leather is not top hide it is a split layer painted to look like top hide. That paint is hiding blemishes, and color irregularities. It also is what resists dirt and stains. Once the paint (a urethane coating) is removed your leather will deteriorate much faster. Take it to a leather shop and see if it can be recoated
Old 02-05-09, 03:45 PM
cduluk
Pole Position

the factory coating wouldn't come off in "flakes". My guess is this area was repaired using some after-market coating meant to match. Can you take pictures of the damage? Flaking really sounds like a poorly repaired patch job to me.

the factory coating, even with an abrasive, wouldn't "flake"...

leatherique all the way to condition.
Old 02-11-09, 10:18 AM
Lexminster
Rookie

I've noticed that over time, car leather becomes firmer even with care, but I'd like to keep my leather soft and supple. Do any of you use leather moisturizer on your seats? If so, what kind? I was thinking about using Coach leather moisturizer because it seems to really soften other leathers I've used it on. Any thoughts/suggestions? Thanks.
Old 02-27-09, 09:16 PM
cduluk
Pole Position

lexminister, leatherique products are the best that i've ever used. Expensive but work wonders. Start with their "rejuvenator oil" followed by the "prestine clean".
Old 02-28-09, 12:19 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

I use the Lexus Cleaner and Conditioner. When using the cleaner, it does takes off dirt. I don't know if that is removing the clear coat off of the leather. And when using the conditioner, it's pretty good. I think Lexus wouldn't sale anything that is bad for the leather correct?

Quick Reply: All about Lexus leather