Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

All about Lexus leather

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-06, 09:07 AM
Lexicon1
Advanced

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Leatherique experience on 97 SC400

Several months ago, we put Leatherique dual bottle system on cream colored leather seats , you could tell there was dirt in the creases, but the leather was not in terrible condition. However, the back of the rear seat, where the seat is in direct contact with the sun showed very dried leather. The leather was almost starting to flake. In the last 6 months, we have used a total of 3 applications of Leatherique. (the last one was not necessary).
On the top of the rear seat, we "slathered" the conditioner and then placed Saran Wrap (clear plastic kitchen wrap) over the leather to keep the Leatherique in direct contact without drying out. I left a towel covering the back . We left this in place for about 3 weeks.
That was around 5 months ago. It has been out in the sun and unprotected since then.
I went out there after re-reading the this thread.
If I had to describe the softness of the seats today, I would say that the Front seats are soft and supple (like new) and the rear (previously flaky area) is soft.
In addition, the seats smell more like leather.
I dont represent Leatherique, but the stuff works.
Expensive?......How expensive is replacing the leather covers.
I think its worth it. Its not the typical stuff you find in a Pep Boys.
Honesty, If you buy a used Lexus that has never been treated to proper leather care. Go with Leatherique.
IF you have a new Lexus, frequent applications of the typically recommended stuff you find in stores will probably prevent degradation.
Just sharing my experience.
Old 07-07-06, 12:23 PM
JohnEd
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leather conditioners for Lex seats

I recently went out and bought a bottle of LEXOL cleaner and a bottle of conditioner. I tried the cleaner and it seemed to absolutely nothing. My ivory seats are a mass of crud filled creases and a surface coat of dirt is evenly spread. Leather scares me. $13 of Lexol and nada! I put it on the shelf and resisted the urge to hurl it.

Reading posts I kept seeing references to Lexol and what a great product it was. I figured I had dirtier seats than they did or had different dirt. I finally concluded that an idiot at a detailing shop had applied ArmourAll to my leather and I was doomed.

Before reading these posts and after the"failure" of LEXOL I tried a diluted solution of CASTROL with a short bristled brush. I did this on the inconspicious strip of leather on the drivers seat that runs vertically up the seat and faces the door. I was amazed! It took that leather to pristine clean in short order. The fly in the ointment is that the rag I wiped with came away with dirt and a LOT of ivory coloring. I figure I stripped the dye off of the seat and did no more cleaning.

After reading a post about a guys experience using Lexol on a dirty seat I went on to look at his pictures. His seats looked as funky as mine when he started and his were beautiful when he was finished. Hummmmmmm! He did say it required a lot of effort. Being the smart bunny that I am I went out and got the Lexol bottle and a wet rag and attenpted to duplicate the lads results. Butkiss! dismally no dirt appeared on the rag. Still, the guy seemed sincere. I then tried more Lexol and used a short bristled finger nail brush to scrub a inconspicious spot in the middle of the passenger seat where it is easy to bear down. What ho! I have a clean spot in the center of the passenger seat. Actually, the spot is a little off center twoards the door. The wipeing rag has dirt and "some" coloring on it but not enough to get excited about.

LEXOL cleaner works! But then you knew that already, didn't you?

Thank You

John
Old 07-16-06, 03:19 PM
robertito
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

For scrubbing the beige leather in my 01 GS, I have successfully used Lexol with WHITE 3M scrubbing sponges with zero deterioration to the leather.

I reiterate—*WHITE (on pink sponge), not green, blue or red (these would all be too abrasive). The white is designed to clean delicate non-stick surfaces and glassware.
Old 08-03-06, 08:59 PM
bearbrick
Driver School Candidate

hey guys...

I had a G35 with heated seats and have found cleaning the leather seat with perforation in it to be painful as hell. I noticed that the '06 GS has perforated leather as well. Any advice on cleaning these perforated areas so that the cleaners will not get stuck in the ventilation area?

thanks,
Old 08-07-06, 08:45 AM
jsteen
Driver School Candidate

Default Adams Leather Cleaner/Conditioner???

Has anyone used this product? If so, how does it work?

Thanks!
jsteen
Old 08-07-06, 09:41 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bearbrick
hey guys...

I had a G35 with heated seats and have found cleaning the leather seat with perforation in it to be painful as hell. I noticed that the '06 GS has perforated leather as well. Any advice on cleaning these perforated areas so that the cleaners will not get stuck in the ventilation area?

thanks,
Most good cleaners will not get stuck in those areas - they should be relatively liquid in form - not thick. Don't use cleaner and conditioner in one, either.

Conditioners getting in those holes can actually be a good thing, as that's the absolute best way for the conditioner to migrate into the leather - laterally. Reason being that from the factory most leather is sprayed with a vinyl top coat that prevents any realistic penetration of conditioner. Those holes in the leather as well as seams where the leather meets... are often times the best if not the only way conditioner is actually going to CONDITION your leather - the stuff that sits on top at best will just create a UV protectant barrier for potential sun damage in the coming months.
Old 08-18-06, 12:43 PM
GeorgePaul
Driver School Candidate

Griot's Garage Interior Cleaner works great for cleaning leather. It doesn't create an oily, sticky mess like some leather cleaners do.
Old 12-15-06, 08:34 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

Does anybodyknow what I can use to make the leather "slippery"? Sounds dumb but when I get into my car, I have to slid into the seat. I grip so much I think eventually I'll wear down the leather or something

2007 GS350
Old 12-25-06, 02:15 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

I just purchased a 2007 IS250 and I want my leather to keep looking like new.

What do you guys recommend on a new car?? This is my first car with leather interior so I want to maintain it best as possible.

What products are good for new car owners? Lexol, Zaino??
Old 12-29-06, 10:40 PM
2007es350
Lead Lap

I have tried the Pinnacle, Lexol , and Zaino products. These are just my opinions on my es350 with the semi-aniline leather seats (which don't have a clear coat as a top coat and are dyed throughout the leather to give a softer feel); my car also has the gray leather which is tough to keep clean!

I didn't care for the Pinnacle conditioner because of the strong smell and the oily finish. The Lexol which I sucessfully used on my prior Accord felt really sticky when applied to my car. The Zaino (which many people rave about) was difficult to apply (it streaked on application) and had a really strong artificial leather scent that lasted for weeks.

My goal was to find a product that would make my seats look factory new (a very, very slight satin gloss), protect my seats from everyday abrasion of getting in and out, and a very neutral smell. I was pleasantly surprised when I tried the Lexus branded leather conditioner. I was skeptical that the Lexus branded conditioner would be special...but it worked really well for my needs! My seats feel brand new and the conditioner doesn't impart an artificial smell and has no strong scent.
Old 01-04-07, 08:12 AM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 2007es350
I have tried the Pinnacle, Lexol , and Zaino products. These are just my opinions on my es350 with the semi-aniline leather seats (which don't have a clear coat as a top coat and are dyed throughout the leather to give a softer feel); my car also has the gray leather which is tough to keep clean!

I didn't care for the Pinnacle conditioner because of the strong smell and the oily finish. The Lexol which I sucessfully used on my prior Accord felt really sticky when applied to my car. The Zaino (which many people rave about) was difficult to apply (it streaked on application) and had a really strong artificial leather scent that lasted for weeks.

My goal was to find a product that would make my seats look factory new (a very, very slight satin gloss), protect my seats from everyday abrasion of getting in and out, and a very neutral smell. I was pleasantly surprised when I tried the Lexus branded leather conditioner. I was skeptical that the Lexus branded conditioner would be special...but it worked really well for my needs! My seats feel brand new and the conditioner doesn't impart an artificial smell and has no strong scent.
Yesterday I went to the dealer and bought their Cleaner and Conditioner. My IS is 3 weeks old so the seats are clean. This is my first car ever with leather seats so I'm new to car leather care.

I just tested the conditioner on the left drivers side boulster (sp). Seems to work pretty well. I dont have nothing to compare it to but i'm satisfied for now.

I'll try other brand leather conditioners later on.
Old 01-23-07, 12:18 PM
gapxguy
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would spraying on Shout and let it sit for 5 mins to lift the dirt harm the leather?
Old 01-24-07, 06:08 AM
Lexicon1
Advanced

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Are you serious?
If you want to remove a stain with shout, give it a try.
If you want to know whether the water based cleaning agent damages the specially treated and dyed skin of an animal , let us know what it does long term.
The products that are mentioned in this thread are specifically for leather material. They would not be used unless they are safe and were proved non-harmful to the leather.
Leather is a special material that warrants care by using chemicals that are specifically designed to be used on them.
Why not go to the Shout website and ask the question about use on the leather, and see what the manufacturer warrants . See if they stick their neck out on this one, ...not likely.
Old 01-31-07, 06:33 PM
gsCrazy
Lead Lap

what do you guys think about using a mr. clean magic eraser to clean the leather? that was suggested on one of those leather care posts...
Old 02-02-07, 06:29 PM
DaveJ
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gsCrazy
what do you guys think about using a mr. clean magic eraser to clean the leather? that was suggested on one of those leather care posts...
I tried it on some pen marks on a leather door panel. It reduced the ink mark, but it also altered the finish slightly in those areas. I wouldn't use it again.

Quick Reply: All about Lexus leather