Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

All about Lexus leather

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-16, 11:59 AM
river
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default how you use woolite

Originally Posted by johnee78
When you mean no solvents does that mean don't use woolite??I myself use woolite dilluted 10/1 and then conditioner with zaino leather in a bottle..please let me know if I'm doing more harm than good...
you dilute 10 part water 1 woolite,
you spray it on seat and wipe it off. if that is true then is there any soap residue and you have to wipe it with water?
also what type of cloth you use to wipe woolite?
Thanks
Old 03-08-16, 12:44 PM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by river
you dilute 10 part water 1 woolite,
you spray it on seat and wipe it off. if that is true then is there any soap residue and you have to wipe it with water?
also what type of cloth you use to wipe woolite?
Thanks
The process is to mix it with mildly hot water and pour some on a foam pad. Squeeze the pad repeatedly to generate a thick foamy mix then apply to the area to be cleaned. The idea is that the foam will sit on the leather and the chemical will dissolve the grime while not overly wetting the leather.

After wiping up the residue with a clean white cotton towel, inspect it to see of it is picking up grime. If it is repeat. If not, the leather is as clean so now you want to remove any traces of the detergent. You do this by wiping down with a clean, wrung-out towel and finally buff dry with another clean towel.

Make sense?
The following users liked this post:
razmanug (05-16-21)
Old 04-15-16, 07:57 AM
jklangen99
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Summary of Leather Care Thread

I just read through this thread and see how many times Jim repeats his recommendations so I pulled them together in a pdf file. There are some repeats in this and I didn't try to get to organized as I didn't want to lose some valuable tidbits.

I just purchased my 3rd Lexus a 2016 GS 350. I gave my 2003 GS 300 to my daughter who will likely drive it for several more years. My first Lexus was an ES 300 which my wife's daughter drove for several years after I got the GS 300.

Bottom line, I am a Lexus fan and have probably been on this site over the years with different logins and emails but have to say I have learned so much in the last few weeks reading through the Automotive Care & Detailing so wanted to pay a little back!

Regards,
Jim
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Leather Care.pdf (245.6 KB, 1141 views)
The following users liked this post:
razmanug (05-16-21)
Old 04-15-16, 12:28 PM
duster
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Jim!
Old 06-06-16, 05:09 AM
JerrySC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Enter Dash and Glass

Has anyone tried the new Dash and Glass? I did my dash and door panels with it with good results. i don't think it would harm the leather seats if some got on the them but it isn't specifically targeted for seats.

There are two key points in using it; don't allow the microfiber cloth to become too wet with the product as you clean and clean glass FIRST. If you begin with the dash, any residue from previous cleaners will be transferred to the glass. I had good luck with it.
Old 08-10-16, 07:35 PM
MsDee
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jfelbab
Aside from the leather seats, most everything is either vinyl or plastic. I use Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer for everything on the interior including LCD displays and gauges. It does have UV protection and yet leaves no gloss.

If I need a more aggressive cleaner (i.e. on door sills) I use Meguiar's M39 Heavy Duty Vinyl Cleaner. For the rubber trim I use Meguiar's M40 Vinyl and Rubber Cleaner/conditioner.

These last two are my old school products that have been around for years but I like the way they work and smell so I am not looking to explore replacements.
Thanks so much... I have used the Meguiar's brand before and will be following your lead...
Old 08-18-16, 09:54 AM
evchao
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been using the search function in this thread and from what I gather, to maintain Nuluxe, just use standard leather cleaner and maintain it with some protection cream?

Does anyone know if the dash piece right in front of the windshield on the 3G IS350 is Nuluxe or rubber?
Old 09-03-16, 05:08 AM
ddiddle
Driver School Candidate

Yes, thanks Jim (jklangen99) for pulling all of Jim's (Jfelbab) stuff together.

And thank you Jim (Jfelbab) for knowing all this stuff worth pulling together. I'm trying to re-hydrate the seats on a 97 LS and everything you say makes sense. I'm moving ahead with your recommendations.

My one question is, once clean and protected is there a way to expedite the leather rehydration (hence, softening) process? Wipe down with wrung, damp cloth once a day? Once a week?

I'd think climate makes a difference - my car is stored inside a non-climate controlled garage. I'm in Kentucky, so the weather is just beginning to turn a little cooler and with less ambient humidity.

Again, thanks to both Jims.
Old 09-03-16, 01:46 PM
jfelbab

I find a weekly wipe down with a wrung out towel is all that is needed to maintain the proper hydration. When I lived in WI, during the winter months. I'd use Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer when the temps were near or below freezing.
Old 09-08-16, 07:23 AM
ddiddle
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Jim. I guess what I'm asking is, since parts of my leather are pretty hard and dry currently, can I expedite the re-hydration process by, say, wiping them down with a wrung towel every day for a while without hurting anything? Will the ambient humidity that comes with a daily wipe re-hydrate (soften) them any faster? Or will it harm them in some way?
Old 09-08-16, 07:46 AM
jfelbab

Originally Posted by ddiddle
Thanks Jim. I guess what I'm asking is, since parts of my leather are pretty hard and dry currently, can I expedite the re-hydration process by, say, wiping them down with a wrung towel every day for a while without hurting anything? Will the ambient humidity that comes with a daily wipe re-hydrate (soften) them any faster? Or will it harm them in some way?
Daily wipe downs will not cause any harm and will accelerate the rehydration process. You might also try tossing the towel, after the wipe down, into an open plastic bag or lay it on top of a piece of plastic and leave it in the closed car for a couple hours a couple times a week for a few weeks. Don't overdo it as this could lead to mold development.

Last edited by jfelbab; 09-08-16 at 07:50 AM.
Old 09-08-16, 08:00 AM
ddiddle
Driver School Candidate

Great - we'll give it a shot for a couple months here.
Thanks again!
Old 09-20-16, 06:56 PM
ddiddle
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jfelbab
Daily wipe downs will not cause any harm and will accelerate the rehydration process. You might also try tossing the towel, after the wipe down, into an open plastic bag or lay it on top of a piece of plastic and leave it in the closed car for a couple hours a couple times a week for a few weeks. Don't overdo it as this could lead to mold development.
Jim, you may already be aware of this site, but I stumbled upon it - it reinforces everything you say.

http://www.autopia.org/forums/autopi...d-leather.html

I've been faithfully wiping down almost daily and then hanging the wrung towel from the clothes hook above the rear door a few times a week. I'm on this regimen until Christmas at least - I really think I can bring it back.

Really, most of it is decent - it's just a couple of the leather panels that are really hard.

Old 12-10-16, 10:33 PM
nas2344
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

how often should i clean and moisturize my leather? i have an RX350 17 BTW
Old 12-11-16, 07:00 AM
jfelbab

Originally Posted by nas2344
how often should i clean and moisturize my leather? i have an RX350 17 BTW
1. I'd clean at least every week or two. This need not be a major cleaning but just a vacuum and wipe with a damp towel. I'd deep clean every 3-6 months depending on the level of soiling.

2. If you have the real leather option, then a wipe-down every week or two with a damp towel should keep the leather properly hydrated. If you have NuLuxe (faux) leather, no hydration is needed as it cannot be absorbed.

Regardless of what type of leather you have, real or faux, I'd suggest using a water-based fluorocarbon protectant to prevent dye transfer from permanently staining the leather.

Congrats on the new ride.

Quick Reply: All about Lexus leather