Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

All about Lexus leather

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-12, 02:19 AM
Lex41510
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

after reading through almost every single page of this thread.. I do not know why there is not a simple answer for cleaning lexus leather.. I tried a woolite/water solution with no success.. I am going to purchase some lexol, after seeing some before/after pics on here.. hopefully that will get some of these marks out, and then i will seal with mequires luxury leather protective foam..ill let you know how it works out..
Old 03-12-12, 04:43 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Lex41510
after reading through almost every single page of this thread.. I do not know why there is not a simple answer for cleaning lexus leather.. I tried a woolite/water solution with no success.. I am going to purchase some lexol, after seeing some before/after pics on here.. hopefully that will get some of these marks out, and then i will seal with mequires luxury leather protective foam..ill let you know how it works out..
What problems do you have? Photos would help. A little more info would help.
Old 03-15-12, 03:43 AM
Lex41510
Rookie

Originally Posted by jfelbab
What problems do you have? Photos would help. A little more info would help.

I would have to say my seats look exactly like this but maybe a little cleaner.. the lexol looks like it worked well here.. I have the same tan leather on my gs3, and there are some grimey dirt stains from the previous owner i cannot seem to get off, any suggestions would help..

Originally Posted by AUGuy21
Pictures as requested on passenger side

Passenger before Lexol

Passenger after Lexol

Old 03-15-12, 05:34 AM
jfelbab

I don't see the stains you are referring to in the images but I'd suggest cleaning with Leather Master Strong Leather Cleaner for starters. If that fails to remove the stains, they make a stronger cleaner called Leather Master Super Remover.

With light colored leather, it is especially important to use a leather protectant to avoid these stains and dye transfers from jeans, belts, etc. that conditioners can't. The product I use and can recommend is Leather Masters Protection Cream.
Old 03-16-12, 12:54 AM
plexus914
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 1996 LS400 trim code le01

Hi, does anyone know what kind of leather dye paint I need for leather seats with Lexus trim code le01? What colour is it, exactly........tan/ivory or beige or taupe?...
Would be great if there is some help....=;o)....

TIA
plexus914
Old 03-19-12, 09:53 AM
j2b4o
Pole Position

I hav yet to clean the leather in my LS but I have some experience with leather and loads of experience with various finishes and sealers (mainly for wood but also vinyl). I have seen alot of debate about the top coat on the leather and if it makes sence to use conditioners. There is truth to both arguments but the reality is that NO finish is completely non porus. Even guitar necks with 1/8" thick poly coatings breathe, discolor and warp. That poly is just abou the hardest thing around and looks and feels like a thick hard plastic but some cleaners and even air moisture migrate in and out of the wood through the finish. The same is more true of leather. The finish is infinitely thinner and more pliable and the material it covers is infinitely more porus so there is definitely some chemical transfer between conditioners and the leather, maybe not much but over time I would expect to see results.

I usually just use lexoll to clean my leather and I have had good results but the rag used to clean has to be nice and moist or it won't work right (some overlook this). Years ago I was given an old mercury marquis with leather so dirty it looked like someone just crapped on the seats and drove around working it in for years but all it took was like 1hr with the lexol and it was real real clean. Ford also uses topcoats on their crap leather and it worked well and softened up the seats quite a bit. I'll be doing the detail on the LS tomorow hopefully so I'll report my experience.
Old 03-31-12, 05:04 PM
Cerulean
Driver School Candidate

I just bought a 2010 Lexus with alabaster leather. The leather is in very good shape, but I want to do a thorough cleaning and then use some protectant (Leather Masters Protection Cream). I bought the Leather Masters strong cleaner and noted it says to use it without rubbing. Can someone help me understand this? Should I just apply it and wipe it of? I tried it on a small area, and the cloth looked dirty even though that area wasn't particularly dirty. I shouldn't have any concerns about it removing the paint, should I? Finally, there are a few areas where the leather seems scraped for lack of a better word (darker leather is showing through the top ivory-colored layer). Is there anything I can do to make htis look better? Thanks in advance for your advice!
Old 04-01-12, 05:21 AM
jfelbab

Originally Posted by Cerulean
I just bought a 2010 Lexus with alabaster leather. The leather is in very good shape, but I want to do a thorough cleaning and then use some protectant (Leather Masters Protection Cream). I bought the Leather Masters strong cleaner and noted it says to use it without rubbing. Can someone help me understand this? Should I just apply it and wipe it of? I tried it on a small area, and the cloth looked dirty even though that area wasn't particularly dirty. I shouldn't have any concerns about it removing the paint, should I? Finally, there are a few areas where the leather seems scraped for lack of a better word (darker leather is showing through the top ivory-colored layer). Is there anything I can do to make htis look better? Thanks in advance for your advice!
The technique is to squirt some cleaner on a soft sponge and squeeze it several times to generate a foam. Gently apply the foam to a small section of the leather in brisk, circular motions using little pressure. Just enough to agitate and work the detergent into the topcoat. Let it dwell for a minute or two and wipe up with a moist, white cotton towel. Examine the towel to see if it has removed any dirt and grime. Repeat if needed and move on to another small area. When finished wet another cotton towel and wring it out then wipe down the leather to be sure to remove all traces of the detergent.

Let the detergent do the work. Heavy rubbing is not desirable.
Old 04-01-12, 10:31 AM
Cerulean
Driver School Candidate

The technique is to squirt some cleaner on a soft sponge and squeeze it several times to generate a foam. Gently apply the foam to a small section of the leather in brisk, circular motions using little pressure. Just enough to agitate and work the detergent into the topcoat. Let it dwell for a minute or two and wipe up with a moist, white cotton towel. Examine the towel to see if it has removed any dirt and grime. Repeat if needed and move on to another small area. When finished wet another cotton towel and wring it out then wipe down the leather to be sure to remove all traces of the detergent.

Let the detergent do the work. Heavy rubbing is not desirable.
Thanks, Jim. That makes sense. It comes out of dispenser foamy so this should be easy.

I shouldn't have any concerns about it damaging the paint, right?

Any suggestions for what to do on the parts where the paint appears to be scraped off (for lack of a better way to explain it)?

Thanks!
Old 04-01-12, 01:26 PM
jfelbab

Originally Posted by Cerulean
Thanks, Jim. That makes sense. It comes out of dispenser foamy so this should be easy.

I shouldn't have any concerns about it damaging the paint, right?

Any suggestions for what to do on the parts where the paint appears to be scraped off (for lack of a better way to explain it)?

Thanks!
I have no concern with this cleaner damaging the topcoat.

Much depends on how bad that scrape is. Can you take a couple photos of the spot? It sounds like the scrape may have removed some to the topcoat and exposed the leather. You can buy a dye kit and recoat the spot.

Another option is to find a leather restorer in your area and get an estimate. This kind of repair is usually quite inexpensive.
Old 04-06-12, 06:06 PM
Cerulean
Driver School Candidate

I have no concern with this cleaner damaging the topcoat.

Much depends on how bad that scrape is. Can you take a couple photos of the spot? It sounds like the scrape may have removed some to the topcoat and exposed the leather. You can buy a dye kit and recoat the spot.

Another option is to find a leather restorer in your area and get an estimate. This kind of repair is usually quite inexpensive.
Here are pictures of the areas of the leather that have wear/damage. The first one is more like cracking, and the last two are more like scrapes (neither of those are the exact right adjectives but hopefully close enough). Advice about how to fix these would be most appreciated!

1) side of driver's seat back, 2) upper area of driver's seat by seat release button, 3) storage area between front seats
Attached Thumbnails All about Lexus leather-img-20120406-00121-768x1024-.jpg   All about Lexus leather-img-20120406-00119-768x1024-.jpg   All about Lexus leather-img-20120406-00120-1024x768-.jpg  
Old 04-09-12, 05:56 PM
jfelbab

The photos are inconclusive but I'd tend to think that is going to take a re-dye and re-coat. I'd suggest you take it to a leather restoration professional.
Old 05-08-12, 06:03 AM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Just leased a 2012 RX with gray leather should I apply anything

How soon should you clean leather? Or should you apply something right away to protect the leather?
Old 05-08-12, 06:46 AM
jfelbab

Originally Posted by MARQEVANS
How soon should you clean leather? Or should you apply something right away to protect the leather?
I'd immediately clean and add a protector like Leather Masters Protection Cream. This will prevent dye transfer and stains from jeans, belts and other mishaps.

I'd wipe the leather down with a damp cotton towel weekly or use Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer on the towel. Every 3-6 months I'd re-clean and reapply the protection cream.
Old 05-20-12, 12:38 PM
MarkGS
Rookie

I have a new LS, so I'm not looking for suggestions to cleaning stains or grime on the leather. And in my past Lexus vehicles, I've never had problems with staining or similar.

What I want to inquire about is if there is a way to keep the leather from creasing from the frequent transfer of weight across the seat when getting in and out of the vehicle. I understand that it is not possible to keep the leather looking brand new (although I would like to try for as long as possible), but I am trying to avoid the unsightly creases that appear over time.

Any suggestions on preventing or conditioning the leather to keep its new look longer would be appreciated.

Quick Reply: All about Lexus leather