Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

All about Lexus leather

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-11, 08:42 AM
stanjohn12
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jfelbab
Let me see if I understand this right. You bought this car used, so you don't know for a fact what the prior owner did or didn't do to the leather. You also don't know what the dealership did to this car to ready it for the used car lot. If the leather was somehow abraded, I'm pretty sure that the dealerships crew would have applied some dye to prep the car for sale.
Ok it's a fact that I am really upset but I'm in no way trying to degrade Meguiars products. I'm just trying to make people aware that this could happen even to them. Anyways to know why I'm upset you need to know exactly how I bought the car first. I got the car even before it reached the dealerships hands.I know some insiders, so I got in touch directly with the customer who was about to give the car to the dealer. Which means I got the car directly from the owner without paying any dealership margins. I just had to pay directly to the customer. So the dealership never really touched or cleaned my car. So clearly they haven't touched the leather. Secondly the 1st owner whom I bought it from seemed very honest and nice and took really good care of his car. So I trust him when he tells me that he has cleaned the seats only with water and a brush. When he gave the car to me I did not see any of these abrasions or fade or spots.

You cleaned the seats and that exposed some spots. I suggested a couple of things to try and respond back with the results and you did not. Would you rather complain about a problem or do you want some help in possibly resolving it?
Yes you did give me some suggestions but I get time only in the weekends to buy the stuff's you mentioned and work on my leather. So I'm sorry about that. I really do need help and I thank you very much for all your suggestions.

Meguiar's Gold Class Cleaner / Conditioner product has been on the market for several years with no outcry like yours. Why do you suppose that is? If this was such a bad product, you would expect to see lots complaints about it considering the market share of Meguiar's. While I can commiserate with your feelings, I believe you would have exposed these spots with almost any brand of leather cleaner.

How about taking a deep breath and step back from your hasty conclusion for a just bit. If you want help with your issue, let's stop wasting time blaming a product for a condition that may have several other more likely causes. If those spots are really abrasions through the topcoat, as they appear to be from your photos, then the product in question would not have caused it unless you used it with an abrasive pad or a magic eraser. A very long history of this product simply suggests that it is not the cause.
I have no doubt in Meguiars products and that was the reason I bought blindly both Meguiars Gold class leather cleaner and Gold Glaze swirl remover 2.0 even without checking any reviews or comparing its price with other products.
You call mine a outcry , but majority of the Lexus owners here either use Lexol , Leatherique or Leather Masters, not Meguiars Leather cleaner. Now why is that ?

If you want some assistance with your issue I'd be happy to offer some things to try to isolate the issue and a possible fix. If you are just intent on ragging on this product in every leather thread that gets posted, then you will likely get little assistance from those who are knowledgable about leather.

Want to try to move forward on this? If so, you can try the things I suggested or PM me and I'll try to offer a constructive path to a resolution.
So like I said before I need your valuable assistance in helping me out but you need to realize my situation as well. I'm really upset and don't want other owners to suffer the same fate and not degrade Meguiras. We'll continue our discussion in the thread i started. Thanks once again.
Old 12-29-11, 01:01 PM
neomedic
Pole Position

Well...after reading through all 15 pages of this tread, I decided to clean my leather. It was in fairly good condition. 2007 IS-350 in black. Leather was still soft, creased areas where starting to dry a bit, and some sitting surfaces were a bit shiny from use.

I did a 6:1 cleaning solution with woolite and use a cotton terry cloth covered sponge and just cleaned the surface. Rubbed a little more on areas with heavy use and light on the other areas. Then followed with a damp terry cloth to remove any detergent left behind. Then a microfiber cloth to buff / dry the leather.

After cleaning, the leather came out really nice. Soft and supple. Not shiny anymore. In areas where there was light use, it also reminded me of factory condition. And the sent of the woolite was so gentle, it did not over power the vehicle.

After letting the leather dry out a bit, I put on some LEXUS brand leather conditioner. I didn't really the conditioner. It was a bit heavy and really put a shine on the leather. Hopefully it will dull a bit after some absorption / use. I only did use the LEXUS conditioner on the driver seat. Since I didn't like the results, I went back to my Meguiar Gold Class leather cleaner/conditioner in a spray bottle. I like this stuff because it does not provide a shine to the leather and has UV protectant.

Overall, I'm happy with leather. Good cleaning will do wonders!!!! And then a simple spray of Meguiar's

Anyone have input on this Meguiar's product. Is it bad for our LEXUS leather?? If not, I think I'll continue to use it. I'm happy with the results.
Old 12-29-11, 06:17 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it were bad, Meguiar's would pull it from their shelves, especially since they have a huge following
Old 12-29-11, 11:09 PM
LexyISF
Pole Position

Originally Posted by smackman
I really like Lexol products. Easy to use and really looks good IMO. Lexol works for this Novice!
isn't Lexol full of mineral oil (bad)?
Leatherique seemed to be critical of Lexol on their website.
Old 01-01-12, 08:47 PM
Lexicon1
Advanced

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Is there an exact substitute for Lexus conditioner

I went to my Lexus dealer in Southern Calif, they told me they cant get any Lexus brand Conditioner, but offered me Lexol.(I dont want to use Lexol) Since the Lexus description indicates lanolin enriched formula, it appears that Meguiars is described the same.
The company that produces the Lexus leather seats recommends Lexus conditioner. Does anyone know if there is another brand or product that is the EXACT duplicate of the Lexus conditioner that I can get at a regular auto parts store . I would assume I can get the Lexus stuff if I mail order it out of state, but ,I would rather purchase it locally.
Does anyone have an answer ?
Old 01-01-12, 09:01 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I'd suggest a better approach is to use Leather Master Leather Cleaner and Leather Masters Protection Cream. Better product and better protection. One of the few products that can prevent dye transfer from jeans, belts, etc. The protection cream is a water-based fluorocarbon protectant. It is similar to applying a sealant to your paint. It leaves the leather silky smooth, not slippery or grabby and does not add any gloss or shine to leather.
Old 01-15-12, 10:28 AM
Heckler
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexicon1
I went to my Lexus dealer in Southern Calif, they told me they cant get any Lexus brand Conditioner, but offered me Lexol.(I dont want to use Lexol) Since the Lexus description indicates lanolin enriched formula, it appears that Meguiars is described the same.
The company that produces the Lexus leather seats recommends Lexus conditioner. Does anyone know if there is another brand or product that is the EXACT duplicate of the Lexus conditioner that I can get at a regular auto parts store . I would assume I can get the Lexus stuff if I mail order it out of state, but ,I would rather purchase it locally.
Does anyone have an answer ?
This may be a late reply but I just got more of the Lexus cleaner and conditioner from Sewell Parts.

Link - http://is.sewellparts.com/accessorie...2010/1952.html
Old 01-20-12, 02:32 PM
chippern73
Rookie

Default Thanks for Sewell Info

Thanks for posting a link to the Sewell website. I found a couple parts I needed at a cheaper price then I have found else where.

Old 02-08-12, 07:14 PM
Noeh
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

So I have some dye stain on my light grey interior. Lexol isn't working, would you guys recommend Mr. Clean Magic Eraser?
Old 02-08-12, 07:34 PM
jfelbab

Originally Posted by aw04lfan
So I have some dye stain on my light grey interior. Lexol isn't working, would you guys recommend Mr. Clean Magic Eraser?
I would not. I'd suggest looking Leather Master Super Remover followed by LM Strong Cleaner and finally a wrung out cotton towel. Watch the applicator when using the LMSR for the dye to be pulled. You should be seeing the stain color transferring to the applicator. Continue the process until the stain is removed then clean the area thoroughly with LM Strong Cleaner and wipe down with the wet towel to remove all of the detergent.

To avoid this in the future apply Leather Masters Protection Cream.

Magic Eraser is like using sandpaper on your leather. It will remove some of the topcoat and will cause it to soil and wear much faster. You will shorten the leathers life if you use a Magic Eraser to remove the stain.
Old 02-12-12, 12:58 AM
sallydrive
Driver

So I have greasy and "shiney" leather seats and steering wheel..how do i restore it to a matte finish..?

I've tried steam cleaning, helped a bit.
Tried Lexol, cleaned the seats but didn't remove oils.

Any help would be appreciated?
Old 02-12-12, 05:31 AM
jfelbab

Originally Posted by sallydrive
So I have greasy and "shiney" leather seats and steering wheel..how do i restore it to a matte finish..?

I've tried steam cleaning, helped a bit.
Tried Lexol, cleaned the seats but didn't remove oils.

Any help would be appreciated?
Many conditioners will do this to leather over time. The problem is usually this. The conditioners contain oils or wax and this clings to the leather as a film. This film holds onto dirt and dust. Every time you slide in and out of the seat you are abrading the seat with this dirt and dust and burnishing it making it shiny.

You can make this look better and here is what I would recommend.

I'd suggest a cleaning with either a mix of Original Woolite and water or Leather Masters Soft Leather Cleaner. Try 1 part Woolite to 10 parts water and see if you can remove the film and dirt on the leather. You might need a soft nylon brush to agitate the leather. Use warm water and let the foamy mix dwell on the leather for a couple minutes but don't let it dry and don't over-wet the leather. Let the foam do it's work. Do a small area at a time. Wipe up the residue with a 100% cotton towel. White works best as you can see if the dirt is coming off the seats. You may need to repeat the process a couple times. If the cleaner doesn't remove the film you may need to try using an APC (All Purpose Cleaner) like Meguiar's APC.

Be sure to wipe down the seats with a wrung out cotton towel after the detergent or APC use to remove all traces of it especially around the stitching.

I'd also recommend using Leather Masters Leather Protection Cream rather than a conditioner to protect the leather and not leave a glossy appearance.

Last edited by jfelbab; 02-12-12 at 05:39 AM.
Old 02-25-12, 06:37 AM
volrus
Driver School Candidate

New owner here. In the past I've always used Pinnacle leather cleaning products with great success. However, I don't see any mention of it on here. This is more of a detailer line of product as far as I know and I usually get it from autogeek. The smell of the leather conditioner is phenomenal...smells just like fresh leather. Does anyone have any experience with it on our Lexus leathers? I have an ES 350 for what it's worth.
Old 02-29-12, 10:03 AM
bobinsofla
Rookie

Default Need help finding leather for repair of GX seat

All,

I have a 2007 GX470 (tan leather) with permanent stains on the passenger leather seat from sun block. I have looked into having the stained areas replaced, but would like to do so with as close to orginal leather as possible.

I saw Guitarman's original post, and have a call in to GST about obtaining leather.

The question I want to throw out there is, has anyone had leather replaced and if so were you able to get the orginal type/style of the OEM skin?

Also, does anyone have or know where to find the seat parts diagram? I have seen it once at the parts department and it lists the various leather panels that can be ordered. Of course, Lexus wants a small fortune for the leather sections!!

Thanks for any help or guidance,
Bob

Bob (in South Florida)

'07 GX470 White/Tan
Old 02-29-12, 02:17 PM
jfelbab

I'd suggest you find a leather refinisher. This will be less costly and the result should be like new. A good refinisher will match the color and texture of your OEM leather. The finish will have the same patina and durability too.

Originally Posted by bobinsofla
All,

I have a 2007 GX470 (tan leather) with permanent stains on the passenger leather seat from sun block. I have looked into having the stained areas replaced, but would like to do so with as close to orginal leather as possible.

I saw Guitarman's original post, and have a call in to GST about obtaining leather.

The question I want to throw out there is, has anyone had leather replaced and if so were you able to get the orginal type/style of the OEM skin?

Also, does anyone have or know where to find the seat parts diagram? I have seen it once at the parts department and it lists the various leather panels that can be ordered. Of course, Lexus wants a small fortune for the leather sections!!

Thanks for any help or guidance,
Bob

Bob (in South Florida)

'07 GX470 White/Tan

Quick Reply: All about Lexus leather