TX FS: 2JZ-GTE VVTi swap, HKS turbo, AEM EMS, 3.76LSD, built trans...yes it's all going!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-09, 01:57 PM
Ay-nako
Stop the Copy!

Received 112 Likes on 52 Posts

sweet set up Jeff.... thanks for inspiring me to buy a GTE LOL! thanks for all the help!!
Old 09-03-09, 08:37 AM
c4lvin
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck, Jeff.

PS: Expect an IM from me the next time I see you on. :P
Old 09-03-09, 01:45 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
I'm keeping the car, but just going with a different motor setup lol

Still debating on the new setup. It's going to be either one of these two:
Twin turbo fully built LS3 with 6 speed manual.

OR

2JZ-GTE VVTi 3.4L stroker with extra goodies and 6speed v160 manual.
wow you sure are serious bout the hp man. good luck with sale. all of us know your stuff is top notch so no1 should have any doubts on it. i asked you b4 and i dunno if you ever answered. do you have any interest in making a remote mount turbo for a 430?
Old 09-03-09, 05:49 PM
evil00017
Pole Position

buddy of mine has a twinturbo ls2 gto. Its pretty freakin fast. GL with the sale.
Old 09-03-09, 10:06 PM
beez43
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

omg i wish i would have just gone with this and not go with the first setup.. at least this is guaranteed to run right.. awesome to whoever undertakes this monstrosity of a project..
Old 09-08-09, 11:26 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj
do you have any interest in making a remote mount turbo for a 430?
how bout it jeff?
Old 12-26-09, 10:59 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Building a turbo kit for a GS4/430 whether it's in the engine bay or remove mount is not so likely. Not sure if there's enough interest to be worth my time/monetary investment lol.

Bump up. I know times are tough for most, but there is someone out there that wants & can afford this

I'm in no rush to sell. I'm not currently in any kind of money crunch lol. My asking price is MORE than fair for what you get. Just an additional offer I'll throw out. I will install the whole setup including all the custom fab/electronics/wiring needed to fit it into your car, tune it, and have the Jeff stamp of approval for only $3k extra
Old 12-27-09, 12:48 AM
GSRSRT
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

damn for 3k extra lol thats a lil too much it should be included but im buying my GTE engine for only 5k and instal my self im prity sure i can do close to what u did for under 8k but GLWS
Old 12-27-09, 01:41 AM
NAiL05
Instructor

The electronics from the standalone is not a fun task. He pretty much has to make a new harness...IMO for what he is charging it is cheap as I have seen him perform the work on his vehicle.
Old 12-27-09, 01:02 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What kind of power are you making with this set up?
Thanks
Old 12-27-09, 04:49 PM
SorrGwa
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

SICK!!! Just utterly SICK!
Old 12-27-09, 05:48 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GSRSRT
damn for 3k extra lol thats a lil too much it should be included but im buying my GTE engine for only 5k and instal my self im prity sure i can do close to what u did for under 8k but GLWS
I just need to post a rant/explanation....read if you like. It's long, but very good info and advice for anyone seriously pursuing power.

To GSRSRT: It won't even come close to this setup for under $8k. The $14k price I am listing is for PARTS ONLY, I am not making any money on top of it. I'm actually losing a few thousand. All the parts will cost much more than that if you were to source them all yourself.

For $8k, you will be lucky to make around 500whp(propely and RELIABLE!) and that's IF you know how to do everything yourself and nothing goes to a shop. All the custom fabrication, wiring, and tuning. Do you know how to build a custom wiring harness? If not, add around $300-500 for a custom one and that's for labor only. The connectors and such will run you an extra $200-300 or so. The common going rate to tune an AEM EMS is around $750. Unless you know how to do that yourself, you will have to pay a tuner/shop for that. When you tune a standalone, you have complete control over the engine. It's great because you have full control. However that also means ANY error or mistakes you do will be what the standalone sends to the engine. It's just a computer that executes commands, it does not care if you make a mistake! If you want to mess with a standalone, be very carefully if you do not have sufficient tuning experience. And if you were wondering, no you will not make it very far with a piggyback tuning the stock ecu

The intercooler piping, mounting, brackets for IC all take time and a TIG welder & a fabricator to put together. All the custom exhaust piping, again a welder and a fabricator needed. This can easily add up to at least $300-400 if you get it done on the cheap. Doing stuff cheap will reflect in the quality. I have a Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG welder that can put out beautiful welds. Trust me on this, it is not a cheap machine because you can almost buy a car for what it costs lol. For a shop to do something to the quality level of my work it will run you easily $1000-1500 range. Everything is prepped and TIG welded.

Then there's the hardware. Turbo, fuel system, wastegate, blow off valve, turbo manifold, sensors, etc. That's easily another $2-5k depending on how good/cheap you go. Again, NOTHING in my list is cheap. The turbo is a HKS T51R which costs around $3500 MSRP retail from HKS! I paid around $2600 for it. Fuel system can easily reach $1k. Factor the following: Billet fuel rail, two sets of stainless steel lines and inline fuel filters from the tank to the engine, high quality injectors(do not cheap out, you will seriously regret it when you have uneven fuel flow in different cylinders!), twin fuel pumps, fuel regulator, and most importantly the high quality fittings. DO NOT go cheap on fittings especially fuel related, it WILL cause a fire!

I think my list is comprehensive enough. To anyone out there that thinks I am overcharging or ripping you off. Please consider ALL of the factors and resources that went into developing this setup. It is not your typical run of the mill DIY job. Many of the components were developed one-off by me and have been tested and revised several times with newer, stronger parts.

The transmission upgrade has almost $9-10k of my own money invested into finding ways to make it stronger. If I can hammer on the car all day long with 700hp+, I think I have achieved my goal.

Please everyone, I have to stress one thing. Yes you can make a car put down 500whp on the cheap. The question is how reliable it will be.

A famous saying when it comes to modifying cars. Pick only two of the three of these options: FAST, CHEAP, RELIABLE

Last edited by JeffTsai; 12-27-09 at 05:53 PM.
Old 12-27-09, 06:12 PM
GSRSRT
Lead Lap

very interesting JeffTsai and i belive every word you are saying and now that i read it and understand what you did to this engine im kinda leaning on to this 14k engine because this is what i want to do with my lex but idk about the 3k extra to install i can drive to TX its no prob ill have to think about it GLWS
Old 12-27-09, 06:14 PM
GSRSRT
Lead Lap

And i have a friend of mine from Florida that can do all the tuning on the house lets jus say he own's me a favor so that wount be a prob jus the welding and all the custom work ill have to do myself
Old 12-27-09, 06:38 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

No problem, let me know if you're interested in this setup in the future. I'm just trying to educate everyone a little better on how much all this power really costs. A lot of people think just because it's a 2JZ-GTE, then everything else is a cakewalk and won't cost much. This couldn't be further from the truth because in reality, high quality 2JZ aftermarket parts are VERY expensive

Quick Reply: TX FS: 2JZ-GTE VVTi swap, HKS turbo, AEM EMS, 3.76LSD, built trans...yes it's all going!