Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Green Tire Valve covers disappear at dealer.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-15, 12:19 PM
gldman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Green Tire Valve covers disappear at dealer.

Do you think the dealer added or replaced the nitrogen with air? I was out of town and stopped in at a dealer near my then location because the nitrogen in my tires needed to be topped up. The dealer gave my car a nice car wash. When I left the tire pressure was even lower than before I went in? So I went to a Costco where they topped up my tire pressure with nitrogen in a couple of minutes. I was with the car the entire time at Costco. When I was waiting with the car at Costco I noticed the green valve stem covers had been replaced at the Lexus dealer with cheap metal covers. What do you think happened? Should I just replace the tire stem covers and move on assuming that the Lexus dealer did nothing except steal the valve covers? Why did this happen? Any thoughts are appreciated. I hope this is the right forum, Thanks.

Update: Dealer says they just reduced the tire pressure and swapped the caps. The tech did not bother to check the door for the correct pressure and assumed he knew better and reduced the pressure instead of increased the pressure. The dealer I was in had discontinued nitrogen so as a matter of course they just removed the green caps and put regular caps on, I guess assuming the customer would have no idea. I bought a bag of green plastic caps for $7 and I guess no harm was done. My take away is to never go to a dealer unless it is required for warranty work. Although, I must say the car wash was top quality and they had great snacks in the waiting room.

Last edited by gldman; 09-09-15 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Update