Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Slow leak on One tire

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-15, 12:21 PM
byungkuk
Intermediate

Received 126 Likes on 91 Posts
Default Slow leak on One tire

Hi,
I'm facing a slow leak problem on my 13 ES350. I've been reading a lot of posts here and thought I could just rebuild the TPMS valve stem with a new core, nut, etc. I took my car to my mechanic and he couldn't find any actual leaks on the tire but he also told me that because the TPMS and the valve stem are one-piece, that it is impossible to rebuild the it since you can't take it off of the TPMS sensor itself. This didn't make any sense to me because I found TPMS rebuild kits for my car on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/TIRE-PRESSURE-SENSOR-REBUILD-TPMS-TPS-SERVICE-PACK-KIT-WITH-NUT-VALVE-CAP-GASKET-/251189537345?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3ALexus&hash=item3a7c102a41&vxp=mtr
First, is it actually possible or do I need a new TPMS sensor/valve stem and pay for the reprogramming? Second, should I just take it to a local tire shop and ask them to rebuild it? Or go to another mechanic?

Thank you.
Old 07-22-15, 03:05 PM
sarah

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by byungkuk
Hi,
I'm facing a slow leak problem on my 13 ES350. I've been reading a lot of posts here and thought I could just rebuild the TPMS valve stem with a new core, nut, etc. I took my car to my mechanic and he couldn't find any actual leaks on the tire but he also told me that because the TPMS and the valve stem are one-piece, that it is impossible to rebuild the it since you can't take it off of the TPMS sensor itself. This didn't make any sense to me because I found TPMS rebuild kits for my car on eBay here

First, is it actually possible or do I need a new TPMS sensor/valve stem and pay for the reprogramming? Second, should I just take it to a local tire shop and ask them to rebuild it? Or go to another mechanic?

Thank you.
don't know how much the TPMS sensor is for the '13 ES350, but my Lexus dealer replaced my TPMS sensor for only $125(plus tax). The receipt showed the new sensor as only $74.95.
Old 07-22-15, 07:24 PM
byungkuk
Intermediate

Received 126 Likes on 91 Posts

Well that kit is like $6 and a valve stem remover is also $5 so if it is possible to replace the valve stem core then I would like to give that a try... Just want to confirm what my mechanic said is true or not
Old 07-22-15, 08:14 PM
sarah

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're anywhere near Chantilly, take it to Pohanka.
Old 01-12-16, 12:06 AM
J$mooth23
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

I too would like to know if anyone has more info on this as I'm currently experiencing the same issue with just my front right tire. I've taken it to two shops now and both have not found any nails or problems with the tire but the leak still remains as I'm having to add air every few days or so. Is it something with the wheel? I know both work wheels and nitto tires are good quality brands. Don't know why this is happening? If someone could please help!
Old 01-12-16, 05:33 AM
wyepass
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes,Just want to confirm what my mechanic said is true or not
Old 02-13-16, 04:55 AM
tfeni52355
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Wheel Corossion

Could be wheel corrosion. I am replacing the Foose wheels after 6 years which replaced the Lexus wheels due to corrosion on the inner lip of the front wheels. If its front wheels it may be that. They can check by breaking down the tire and wheel and inspecting the inside of the rim.
Old 03-15-16, 12:01 PM
Rickna
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by tfeni52355
Could be wheel corrosion. I am replacing the Foose wheels after 6 years which replaced the Lexus wheels due to corrosion on the inner lip of the front wheels. If its front wheels it may be that. They can check by breaking down the tire and wheel and inspecting the inside of the rim.
This is exactly what happened on my BMW. I had slow leaks on both fronts. I had both tires unmounted & cleaned, no problems since.
Old 03-22-16, 07:24 AM
BieberNutz
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by J$mooth23
I too would like to know if anyone has more info on this as I'm currently experiencing the same issue with just my front right tire. I've taken it to two shops now and both have not found any nails or problems with the tire but the leak still remains as I'm having to add air every few days or so. Is it something with the wheel? I know both work wheels and nitto tires are good quality brands. Don't know why this is happening? If someone could please help!
I'm actually having the exact same issue and oddly enough with the exact same wheel (front right) and with a set of Works (CR2P's). Scary coincidences aside, have you or your shops sprayed the wheel/tire down with soapy water and checked for bubbles? I just pulled my wheel yesterday expecting to find a nail/screw and when I found nothing I did as described and found a small area on the inside of the wheel that was bubbling up. I have to take it to my shop to see if there's a problem with the wheel itself (being bent) or if there's something that's simply preventing a good seal from being made (bad bead or crack in the tire). I'm hoping to get lucky like Rickna described and a breakdown, good cleaning and re-mount will do the trick. Either way, this simple test should hopefully point you, or your tire person, in the right direction. Good luck!