Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Beware of Firestone Service center

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-03, 07:17 PM
SpeedGS4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Beware of Firestone Service center

to all who cares about their wheels.

DO NOT GO TO FIRESTONE SERVICE CENTER ON CITY OF INDUSTRY, CA!!!!

Sorry guys!!! Had to yell because I'm so angry at what happened today. I went in to get my Lowenhart LD1-s some new tires. I picked the SO-3s. At first I was skeptical as to their ability of mounting such large wheels (they were 20X9 up front and 20X10 on the rear). They told me that they could not guarantee not scratching the rims but they told me they had this guy that was really good at mounting and that they did 20s all the time. So hearing that, I felt relieve at first. After I went to pick up, I noticed that all the rims were scratched. Not only scratched but dented and nicked and everything you could think would happen. I was shocked. I had not one scratch on the mint condition wheels.

How stupid could one be. If the first rim was scratched, they should have stopped mounting the remaining ones. Now I have to face the manager tomorrow. I even called my credit card company and told them about the situation. Good thing they were on my side telling me that I was smart to leave the rims at the service center. If the manager won't pay for the damage, the credit card company would dispute the charge, and if the whole deal doesn't end up for my benefit, then they would take the charges out of my credit card.

So be smart and always pay with your credit card, especially on something as expensive as 20" wheels. (I guess that's what the credit card company wants you to do)

I will keep you posted as what happens with the dispute.

Again, hope you don't let anybody touch your rims unless you know of their capabilities first. I learned the hard way!

Happy Motoring

SpeedGS4

2000 GS4
2001 BMW X5
1994 230hp Turbo Miata
Old 03-26-03, 07:34 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry to hear that...many of the "franchise" shops do not have the right machines/techs to do 18s and up, so you need to get good references before you go
Old 03-26-03, 07:52 PM
Kaban
Lead Lap

Damm, sorry about your experience. Firestone is really bad, both their tires and shops. I've been to the shop you were talking about, their manager is a Phillpno guy right? Shady looking dude, was going to buy tires there buy decided against it.

I ended up buying from Tirerack and go the the shops they recommaneded and they did great mounting my AC wheels.
Old 03-26-03, 10:35 PM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

Thumbs down

That stinks...you must refer to the Firestone right next to the AMC20 theatres right? I learned this the hard way too about 4 years ago when I took my SC with the Gewalt type M 3 piece to one of the Discount Tire Center near La Palma. I also asked them if they can do "18s" (yeah, just 18") and they say yes. Hours after, went to pick up my car and I saw the lip was bend so bad that even grandmom can tell the difference. The manager offer to fix them but you know it will never be the same. The worse part was it leak air constantly because they never seal the rims right. Anyways, like Will said get referral before you go.
Old 03-26-03, 11:06 PM
SpeedGS4
Driver School Candidate

Yes, it's the one near AMC 20 Theaters. And also don't go to the America's Tire on the other side of the parking lot. That one also scratched my 16" Miata rims. But the rims were free so I didn't want to bother to repair them.

The manager wasn't there so I need to go back tomorrow morning. I left my wheels there because I did not want to accept them the way they were. Has any of you been compensated for the wheel repair? How much did they offer you?

SpeedGS4
Old 03-26-03, 11:15 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

fight for what you deserve..and forget about repair..no co can match the quality finish from japan, esp the clear coating process..this is told by one of the largest wheel repair shops owner in the US...
Old 03-27-03, 03:42 PM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

Will is absolutely right. No company can put that anodizing coat put to those japanese wheels. I contact Work when my Vs Mx was damage by curb rash and they suggested me to replace the outer lip. As to compensation, i would said 99.99% of the shop out there will offer you to fix it. That's it. I have not come across any shop that admitted they mess up and willing to buy those damage wheel and give you a brand new set. But I think that is what they are supposed to do. Remember when we go to any stores they always have a sign said "if you break it, you have to buy it". Shouldn't that work in this type of case? When they damaged our wheels, they should buy them and replacing the new one to us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-27-03, 04:39 PM
ATSOU
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

When the tire shop remove the tire from the wheel on the machine, the wheel should face down, not face up......Cause when they do it this way, they'll scratch the other side(the side facing the suspension) instead of the NICE side(hope you guys know what I'm talking about) There are so many tire shops out there still using the old machine with a steel bar to take out the tire so no matter what they'll scratch your rims. If that's the case, of course we all want the inner side to scratch not the outer(maybe someone do like that.)
Old 03-27-03, 04:47 PM
Kajukenbo
Lead Lap

Since you are in LA area, ask GS4will to recommend the shop that he uses for you.
They did my 20" Gettin, 4" lip, without any problem. Kudo to Will and the shop.
Old 03-28-03, 12:03 AM
SpeedGS4
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys!

I talked to manager and he told me he could get me an estimate with me paying...after saying that it wasn't good enough many times, he told me could go half with me on the repairs....then I told him it was still my loss, just wanted the rims like the way they were. Then he said he will go and get an estimate and get back to me tomorrow.

Well I don't think he will pay for brand new rims so I will have to go with the repair.

Thanks again, you've all been helpful!

SpeedGS4
Old 03-28-03, 12:07 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

hmmm..an under $5k claim...i wonder if "justice" would prevail(sp?)...at you know where....
Old 03-28-03, 03:32 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My recommendation...

F1 Motorsports and Sprewell Motorsports

Both of them have EXTENSIVE experience with large wheels and have the right equipment and the right people to do the job right....

Don't EVER go to those franchise shops...they don't know crap and they don't care.
Old 03-28-03, 10:06 PM
strongsail
Lexus Test Driver

But Wait! Les Schwab gives me Free Beef!