Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Quiet tires 225/40/18 size

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-13, 10:10 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Quiet tires 225/40/18 size

I am looking for good quiet tires for my I250 front - size 225/40/18.

Some of the contenders are:

Michelin Primacy MXM4 ZP Grand Touring All-Season - $168 ea

Falken Azenis PT-722 - $124 ea

Pirelli P Zero Nero All Season - $148 ea

Appreciate your inputs on these, as well as any other I may have missed.

thanks!
Old 02-10-13, 12:22 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Aside from quiet, anything else you want out of the tires? handling in the wet, dry, snow?

RE970AS is a great tire for all of the above

That Michelin you are looking at is a run flat, I wouldn't do that, for sure...

Not a fan of those Falkens, though I'm sure they are ~ok~, the Pzero would be ~decent~...

I'd definitely make sure you pick a tire that has a fitment for the rear as well... If I was on the cheap, the Kumho LX's would be a decent choice...
Old 02-10-13, 03:05 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

I live in TX so wet and dry is all I look for, No M+S needed. Sharp handling would be an added bonus, but not at the expense of quietness.
I do not want run flats. thanks for pointing that out to me.

How about the Michelin A/S Sport plus?
Old 02-10-13, 04:46 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by chikoo
I live in TX so wet and dry is all I look for, No M+S needed. Sharp handling would be an added bonus, but not at the expense of quietness.
I do not want run flats. thanks for pointing that out to me.

How about the Michelin A/S Sport plus?
The Michelins are fine, but quite a bit more expensive and they don't perform as well, especially in the wet... Check my thread where I got to beat them up quite a bit - test driving those and two other tires...
Old 02-12-13, 06:52 AM
zig@tr
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before you purchase you may want to look at your tire choice from another vantage point. I see you're only buying 2 front tires in this case you want to consider the following:

1. If the rear tires you are keeping are summer or all-season the front tires you purchase must match the rears by either being summer or all-season tires.

2. One of the tires you were considering was a run flat tire, the rears you are keeping must also be run flats if you purchase these. There would not be many installers receptive to mixing run flat and no run flat tires on the same car.

3. Also, you are putting all this effort into finding a quiet tire for the front be sure there is a matching tire offered in your rear size to match the front when the time comes. Otherwise you waste all of this effort finding a quiet tire for the front only to find out down the line the matching rear tire is not offered and you are faced with mixing tires and starting the search for a quiet tire all over again.

Of the tires you mention I can only verify the Pirelli is offered in a matching set the Michelin Primacy is not and not sure about the Falken. First choice would be the Bridgestone RE970AS for an all season tire and the Michelin Pilot Super Sport as a summer tire.
Old 02-13-13, 05:49 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

While I certainly appreciate the advise and tendency to use same tires for front and rear, my personal belief is that is not required. The duties of the front and rear tires are quite different and hence there is no need to go for same/similar tires front and rear.

I am currently running Dunlop SP Sport Maxx for the rear. They are Max Performance Summer tire, but I have had no issue whatsover even during the winter with slight snow (eeks!) that we Dallas-ites got to experience on Christmas 2012. I guess I drive very safe, or should I say, I become one with my car - just like in Avatar!!!

Of course the Dunlops are pretty expensive for the fronts, and I would rather find a cheaper, yet worthy alternative.

How about the Hankook Ventus V12?

Or

Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum -> Per the Tirerack description::-> developed to meet the needs of sporty coupe and luxury performance sedan drivers. It is designed to blend responsive handling, long wear and a quiet ride with year-round traction including in light snow.

Last edited by chikoo; 02-13-13 at 06:01 PM.
Old 02-14-13, 04:53 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

I think I am going to give the Kumho a chance based upon this on their website

"The Ecsta LX Platinum delivers all-weather performance for confident year-round driving. For the drivers who utilize their luxury touring cars 365 days a year, the Ecsta LX Platinum not only performs but liberates the full potential of their vehicles. Additionally, the extremely low noise and outstanding ride comfort make this the perfect tire for the individual who demands the complete grand touring experience. The LX Platinum comes with a 60,000 mile limited tread wear warranty and limited road hazard coverage."

http://www.kumhotireusa.com/tire/cat...7-58F1418BE802
Old 02-15-13, 06:29 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Hah! You are taking an advertising snippet as truth???

I'd say the Kumho LX is a good tire, but definitely not the best for what you want...
Old 02-15-13, 06:31 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

What else can I do? I solicited experience but not much available.
Old 02-28-13, 02:23 PM
PandaBear
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the LX Platinum on the front of my IS250 in 225/40-18. They feel very similar to the Tourenza ER33 that came with the car, but seems to have more rolling resistance and I think I lost about 1mpg due to that. So far no complain after gentle driving for about 10k.
Old 02-28-13, 03:16 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Thank you Panda. I will definitely give it a try. I did like the ER33 a lot, but they are $$$$$