Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?
Old 01-06-15, 03:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tires and Wheels Guide
Print Wikipost

Grand touring all season versus Ultra High Performance All season

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-13, 10:30 AM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Grand touring all season versus Ultra High Performance All season

Tire gurus -- I know this question has been asked before, and the answer is always the same -- "It's like comparing apples and oranges." If a grand touring all season tire is rated a 9 in terms of quiet and comfort, is that tire more quiet and more comfortable than an ultra high performance all season tire with the same 9 rating? I'm pretty sure the answer to this question is yes, but if so, by how much?

Here's the situation. I am completely torn between the Bridgestone Serenity Plus (grand touring all season) and the Continental Extremecontact DWS (ultra high performance all season). Quiet and comfort is most important to me. 95% of my miles are highway miles, and I just want to cruise quietly and comfortably. Performance, while nice to have, really doesn't matter that much to me. I am currently running Michelin Pilot Sport A/S plus. They are great tires, and pretty comfy, but I'm looking for less road noise and greater comfort.

I live in Chicago. For whatever reason, we haven't had very much snow over the last few years. I have driven RWD performance cars all my life, including my current 2006 GS430. Moderate snow doesn't bother me. Performance in snow is important to me, but more from the stand point that I just don't want to get stuck. I don't care if I slide around a bit.

Let me know what you think. Thanks in advance.

e
Old 01-09-13, 01:26 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

They are not the same rating, it is in comparison to other tires of that type... Unfortunately, quietness is somewhat subjective, especially when you are reading reviews from hundreds of people...

The Serenity will be leagues ahead of the DWS, and to be completely honest, will outperform it as well... The Serenity Plus isn't too far behind the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S when it comes to outright handling, especially in the wet...
Old 01-09-13, 01:46 PM
Riker36
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

E-man, I am in the same boat you are. I have those Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus on my GS300, and I find them very loud and bumpy. I'm going to take a chance with the Serenity's after reading all the reviews. Good luck!
Old 01-10-13, 07:18 AM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Thanks Mitsu and Riker.

I'm leaning that way too. I'm sure the DWS perform better in the snow than the Serenity. Without ever having driven on them, it's easy to see when you compare the tread pattern. However, if I get the DWS, I think I'll always wonder how much softer and quieter the Serenity Plus would have been.

One thing I forgot to mention. On my previous car, a 99 GS4, I had a set of Turanza LS-Z's (the predecessor to the Serenity and now Serenity Plus) on my stock 17s. Those tires were fantastic. Incredibly quiet, super comfortable, and the tread life was unreal. I switched back and forth every 6 months between the 17s and a set of 16s with winter performance tires, but according to my calculations, I was at 65,000 miles when it was time to replace them (and they still had a bit of tread left on them). Now granted, most of those miles were logged just rolling down the highway, but 65,000 miles out of any tire is great, let alone a Z rated performance tire.

I'll report back after I get the Serenities.

e
Old 01-10-13, 07:22 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Not sure anymore about the DWS being better in the snow... When Bridgestone redesigned the Serenity, their focus was on snow performance. The Serenitys did decent in the snow, so I am excited to hear about or try the Plus's in the snow...
Old 01-12-13, 06:21 AM
zig@tr
Former Sponsor

You said quiet and comfort is of the most importance, the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus will be one of the best in those two key areas. Based off of what you said I would choose the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus
Old 01-16-13, 01:19 PM
RickL87
Driver School Candidate

Only get all season tires if the temps get low enough to use them. Here in atlanta, ga, I use summer tires all the time with no problems as it doesn't get too cold here nor snow often. Since you value comfort more the turanza serenity would probably be a better choice.
Old 01-17-13, 02:41 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I tried the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity plus and they are nice and smooth yet firm. I recommend them. The MXM4 are also very smooth but the Turanzas have a much better steering response.
Old 01-17-13, 03:49 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by Rexus300
I tried the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity plus and they are nice and smooth yet firm. I recommend them. The MXM4 are also very smooth but the Turanzas have a much better steering response.
I agree completely

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/the...ml#post7709849