Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?
Old 01-07-15, 04:10 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

looking to black my rims.. Pkastidip or duplicolor shadow paint?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-11, 11:00 PM
melski415
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking to black my rims.. Pkastidip or duplicolor shadow paint?

Im just wondering what do you guys think is the best. I like the chrome look, but also like the flat black look. Also, for you guys that have done these, how is the maintanance and durabilty for each?
Old 09-01-11, 06:50 AM
zig@tr
Former Sponsor

There is a new finish on the market called PVD (Physical Vapor Deposition), this is a patented wheel finish technology that combines vacuum plating and powder coating to give the appearance of chrome and even a diamond black (smoked/tinted chrome) but the durability is far beyond any chrome wheel could offer. These wheels will not flake, peel, oxidize or pit like a chrome wheels and are even suitable for all-season use. Chrome albeit, is a great looking wheel but requires the most maintenance of any finish out there.

Bremmer Kraft BR05 PVD Finish Link
Old 09-01-11, 07:07 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Zig, that's a whole wheel right? Believe mel's asking about painting his existing wheels
Old 09-01-11, 09:11 AM
itr206
Rookie

I use duplicolor wheel paints.
I think that plasticote stuff is more prone to peeling off.
Old 09-01-11, 10:29 AM
zig@tr
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Zig, that's a whole wheel right? Believe mel's asking about painting his existing wheels
Yes, it is the whole wheel I was talking about because I don't have just finishes. However, there are many companies offering to do your existing wheels in this bright silver or diamond black PVD finish. I know one is www.blackdiamondwheel.com
Old 09-01-11, 11:02 AM
melski415
Lead Lap

I'm basically looking for something cheap for my winter rims. So that's why I'm asking about dupli and plasti.
Old 09-03-11, 07:59 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I blacked out my wheels on my IS350. First, I did just black Plasti-Dip. It looked awesome when first done but after a week or so, when it gets dirty, it turns brownish and looks really bad. Washing it gets it back to normal but hate having to do it so often. So, I decided to spray Dupli-Color Black Wheel Coating over the Plasti-Dip and now it looks great. I tried the Dupli-Color Shadow Chrome on my grille and it did not look good. The paint is not good quality, when you spray light coats, you can see darker spots and from looking at it from an angle, the painted item looks greenish.
Old 09-05-11, 02:50 PM
melski415
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by chi123
I blacked out my wheels on my IS350. First, I did just black Plasti-Dip. It looked awesome when first done but after a week or so, when it gets dirty, it turns brownish and looks really bad. Washing it gets it back to normal but hate having to do it so often. So, I decided to spray Dupli-Color Black Wheel Coating over the Plasti-Dip and now it looks great. I tried the Dupli-Color Shadow Chrome on my grille and it did not look good. The paint is not good quality, when you spray light coats, you can see darker spots and from looking at it from an angle, the painted item looks greenish.
Will you be able to peel plastidip from rim, now that you spray painted it?
Old 09-10-11, 04:12 PM
Golden95SC
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thats what i was gona say. Best to plastidip the wheel first, give 3-4 good coats so its easier to feel of and so thats its not super thin. then go ahead and spray any color you could possibly want. Then in the end you can go ahead and peel it since its been over plastidip to return to the stock wheel with no harm done. Ive seen in a g35 forum, il try and find the link to show the example.
Old 09-10-11, 04:13 PM
Golden95SC
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ah here it is.
check it out its really decent.

http://g35driver.com/forums/media-sh...lasti-dip.html
Old 09-25-11, 08:10 PM
Lex Luga
Lexus Test Driver

So i just got new g spider wheels and i am planning to protect them with PD and then clear coat after or paint an even darker gun metal (noted they are already dark silver/gun metal).

I heard that using 1 really thick coat is better than multiple thin coats. Is this true? Also if i PD clear then clear coat, will the color look stock but shiny due to the clear coat?
Old 09-25-11, 08:12 PM
Lex Luga
Lexus Test Driver

Also if i PD and clear coat, will it be easier or harder to clean than stock wheels? Cuz u know, u sometimes have to scrub hard to get debris and/or brake dust off.
Old 09-26-11, 10:01 AM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lex Luga
Also if i PD and clear coat, will it be easier or harder to clean than stock wheels? Cuz u know, u sometimes have to scrub hard to get debris and/or brake dust off.
G-Spiders will be harder to clean either way. I Plasti-Dipped, painted, and cleared my OEM 18" IS350 wheels. Since it was originally silver, it stayed clean. Now I got black and dust and whatever shows. However, I wash my car every two weeks and all I use is the sponge from washing the car to wipe everything off and it's clean. Most recently, when I Plasti-Dipped a friend's wheels, I first did one very light misting of Plasti-Dip, two minutes later, I sprayed a decent coat, not heavy. I then did another 3 more coats. The more coats, the easier it'll be to remove in the future. Then one light coat of paint, two more decent coats after with 5 minutes between coats. Then two coats of clear and I was done. If you just Plasti-Dip them and clear coat over it, it looks kind of nasty since the Plasti-Dip looks cheap under clear.
Old 09-26-11, 11:16 AM
Lex Luga
Lexus Test Driver

Ok so clear pd n clear coat will prolly look bad. So u think if i clear coat PD these wheels, i should paint it after then clear coat? I want a color similar to the stock color of the g spiders, just a little darker. How does the gun metal duplicolor look?
Old 09-26-11, 11:38 AM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lex Luga
Ok so clear pd n clear coat will prolly look bad. So u think if i clear coat PD these wheels, i should paint it after then clear coat? I want a color similar to the stock color of the g spiders, just a little darker. How does the gun metal duplicolor look?
My friend has it, it looks kind of cheap. They wheel looks dirty and is a flat grey color. If you have the Liquid Graphite finish, you're better off keeping it. The Dupli-Color will be darker but no where as good as the color of the stock.

Quick Reply: looking to black my rims.. Pkastidip or duplicolor shadow paint?