Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

longest durability on these tires?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-11, 09:17 AM
w1ck3d64
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default longest durability on these tires?

Hi all,

I was wondering if you guys have tried these three tires...namely:

I was wondering how durable these tires are (i.e. how long they last on wear and tear). I don't track and just drive around in the city and highways.

EDIT: i also put around 80km a day on the highway...so durability is a must

Thanks!

Last edited by w1ck3d64; 03-30-11 at 09:25 AM.
        Old 03-30-11, 09:38 AM
        iRock
        Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The bridgestone tires that came on the rims I bought were on there for about 2 years I'm guessin. They are at 4/32 I was told.
        Old 03-30-11, 10:36 AM
        KillaIS250
        Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's the rating for treadwear for each tire based on reviews from 1010tires.com:
        RE760 = 3.7
        http://www.1010tires.com/tires/revie...za+RE760+Sport

Hankook V12 = 3.8
        http://www.1010tires.com/tires/revie...Evo+%28K110%29

Dunlop Direzza = 4.0
        http://www.1010tires.com/Tires/Revie...t+Z1+Star+Spec

The only thing is, tread wear is dependant on a lot of other things, most importantly things like the tire size and what car its on (225/40 will wear faster than a 215/55 because its a skinnier tire) and how you drive makes a big difference as well.

I've seen a big difference in durability with people having the same tires. My old Toyo Proxes 4 lasted about 20k miles on my old car, i didn't track them or anything, just had a bit of a leadfoot.... others claimed they still had tread at 36k!
        Old 03-30-11, 01:02 PM
        w1ck3d64
        Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PEARLIS250
        The bridgestone tires that came on the rims I bought were on there for about 2 years I'm guessin. They are at 4/32 I was told.
        Originally Posted by KillaIS250
        Here's the rating for treadwear for each tire based on reviews from 1010tires.com:
        RE760 = 3.7
        http://www.1010tires.com/tires/revie...za+RE760+Sport

Hankook V12 = 3.8
        http://www.1010tires.com/tires/revie...Evo+%28K110%29

Dunlop Direzza = 4.0
        http://www.1010tires.com/Tires/Revie...t+Z1+Star+Spec

The only thing is, tread wear is dependant on a lot of other things, most importantly things like the tire size and what car its on (225/40 will wear faster than a 215/55 because its a skinnier tire) and how you drive makes a big difference as well.

I've seen a big difference in durability with people having the same tires. My old Toyo Proxes 4 lasted about 20k miles on my old car, i didn't track them or anything, just had a bit of a leadfoot.... others claimed they still had tread at 36k!
        Thanks guys for your input! I am probably going to keep the same staggered sizes (235 up front and 255 in the back ... running 18")

I'm leaning towards the hankooks...from the stuff i've read..they seem to wear out more evenly and is probably the best bang for your buck...

any other thoughts?
        Old 03-30-11, 01:10 PM
        hades281
        Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Hankooks on the factory staggered 18's. LOVE them, very quiet and better ride. The stock Bridgestones as most will tell you are crap (I got 30k out of them until fronts were at wear bar. Rears had 8k left. A lot of road noise and poor impact absorption). Front factory toe-out alignment will always wear the inside of the tires reasonably quickly so IMO the price of the tire matters. The Hankook tires excell in both performance and price.

Disclaimer: I have only had the Hankooks for 2k miles so far.
        Old 03-30-11, 02:39 PM
        Teal Sc400
        Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by w1ck3d64
        Thanks guys for your input! I am probably going to keep the same staggered sizes (235 up front and 255 in the back ... running 18")

I'm leaning towards the hankooks...from the stuff i've read..they seem to wear out more evenly and is probably the best bang for your buck...

any other thoughts?
        Change the speed rating of your tire's, for tire longevity.
        Old 03-31-11, 07:26 AM
        w1ck3d64
        Lead Lap

Originally Posted by hades281
        I have the Hankooks on the factory staggered 18's. LOVE them, very quiet and better ride. The stock Bridgestones as most will tell you are crap (I got 30k out of them until fronts were at wear bar. Rears had 8k left. A lot of road noise and poor impact absorption). Front factory toe-out alignment will always wear the inside of the tires reasonably quickly so IMO the price of the tire matters. The Hankook tires excell in both performance and price.

Disclaimer: I have only had the Hankooks for 2k miles so far.
        Originally Posted by Teal Sc400
        Change the speed rating of your tire's, for tire longevity.
        thanks guys! I'll keep these things in mind...i think the hankooks are locked into speed rating of Y for 18"...but i think i'm gonna get them anyway lol

what thickness do you guys suggest for the v12s? 40? 35? don't want it to be too bumpy now..
        Old 04-12-11, 11:38 AM
        is350memb
        Driver

i dont know about you guys but i replace my tires every 60k miles regardless of it condition. so it really does not matter anyways.

when u think about it most tires will last about 75k miles which would take about 5 years. if i wait another year to get replacement it doesnot do me any good anyways. I replace them now and still have 5 years to go. the funny thing is that i will not own my car for ten years. i probably will sell it after 8 years or so. Therefore, replace it at 60k is a good choice.. i think.

and to answer your question, it really does nt matter if u replace your tires at 60k.
        Old 04-13-11, 03:30 PM
        mitsuguy
        Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by is350memb
        i dont know about you guys but i replace my tires every 60k miles regardless of it condition. so it really does not matter anyways.

when u think about it most tires will last about 75k miles which would take about 5 years. if i wait another year to get replacement it doesnot do me any good anyways. I replace them now and still have 5 years to go. the funny thing is that i will not own my car for ten years. i probably will sell it after 8 years or so. Therefore, replace it at 60k is a good choice.. i think.

and to answer your question, it really does nt matter if u replace your tires at 60k.
        Do you seriously think the tires on your IS350 will last that long? Even half that long?

Most tires in performance sizes will have a longevity in the 15-35k mile range, depending on tire and driving style...