Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Repairing this small nail hole in tire? (pic)

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-09, 12:18 AM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Repairing this small nail hole in tire? (pic)

I have a small nail in my tire causing a very slow leak. We are talking maybe 1 psi every 1 or 2 days. No tire shop is willing to plug it because it is "too close to sidewall" which I think it hibbity jibbity because I used to work at a tire shop, and I have personally plugged a hole that was literally on the edge of the sidewall on my own personal vehicle that lasted years.

Now I am wondering if there is a solution for me to fix this myself. I do not want to make the hole bigger and plug it but I want to see if I can simply put some kind of sealant in the hole. I do NOT want to put slime in my tire because I hate that stuff. Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails Repairing this small nail hole in tire? (pic)-holetire-001.jpg  
Old 09-29-09, 12:51 PM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

psssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss anyone with ideas or experiences?
Old 10-01-09, 01:46 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

you can try to use those DIY patch kits but.. iono if it will help or not. or get it dismounted and patch it from the inside out yourself.
Old 10-02-09, 09:52 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

the reality - a patch from the inside may work

the legality - if that patch fails, and you die or hurt yourself, because that is not a Rubber Manufacturers Association approved repair area, you own that shop... Because of this, any reputable shop will not repair it...
Old 10-04-09, 05:06 AM
j three
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just put some fix a flat in there before you take a decently long drive and call it a day. I have done that with my driver side rear tire that still has a screw in it and I have driven on it for about 6 months with no problem. I always keep a can in my car for emergencies.

I think it should work just fine on your tire since it looks pretty off to the side and wont get beat up too much by the road. Mine is closer to the middle of the tire.

Good luck bro
Old 10-04-09, 08:36 AM
RCPnoi
Lead Lap

Get a wood screw(the short ones with the bigger teeth and get one a little biiger than the hole), put epoxy on the wood screw and screw it in, once the epoxy dries, it will seal it.

I've done this plenty of times and i still drift with the wheels and i never had a tire failure
until the tire is worn all the way
Old 10-04-09, 11:49 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by RCPnoi
Get a wood screw(the short ones with the bigger teeth and get one a little biiger than the hole), put epoxy on the wood screw and screw it in, once the epoxy dries, it will seal it.

I've done this plenty of times and i still drift with the wheels and i never had a tire failure
until the tire is worn all the way
and when the wood screw hits something just right and rips a huge hole in the tire, then what? not saying it will happen, but it could, as I have seen it... this usually causes a complete tire failure, aka blowout, and can potentially cause a loss of control if it happens around a turn or whatnot...

and with fix a flat??? that can cause imbalance issues and a shake that is incurable...

there are deaths on the roadway every day due to people that can't drive properly, lets not add stupidity when it comes to a safety related piece of equipment to that death toll...
Old 10-17-09, 06:24 AM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Patch it from the inside of the tire and ure good to go Simple as 1,2 n 3
Old 10-17-09, 07:08 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by GS350Lexus
Patch it from the inside of the tire and ure good to go Simple as 1,2 n 3
until the tire separates and blows out because of it...

without a proper plug through the tire, moisture gets in to the steel belts and causes it to rust... rust weakens the tire, tire can't handle the stress, tire blows out...

there were quite a few deaths because of this improper repair procedure some years ago...
Old 10-17-09, 08:02 AM
kiwi
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dont bother patching it from the inside, it over rated most of the time. go to the auto parts store and pick up a cord type kit and do it yourself, it will take you 10 minutes max, i have plugged hundreds of tires this way and have never had a come back, not to mention the tire doesnt look that new you wi am sure you will be replacing it anyway,

and for the record, its not to close to the sidewall, you have plenty of room.
Old 10-17-09, 12:54 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by kiwi
dont bother patching it from the inside, it over rated most of the time. go to the auto parts store and pick up a cord type kit and do it yourself, it will take you 10 minutes max, i have plugged hundreds of tires this way and have never had a come back, not to mention the tire doesnt look that new you wi am sure you will be replacing it anyway,

and for the record, its not to close to the sidewall, you have plenty of room.
Aside from still not being a safe repair, those types of repairs have failed numerous times causing multiple deaths as well... you may not have had an issue with it, but there is a reason they don't repair tires like that anymore...

and, if you were to cut that tire open, you would see that right there is in the middle of the belt wedges and edge strips - the parts that reinforce the edges of the tread belts - these are under large amounts of stress, especially on a high performance tire... that is the WORST place to try to repair a tire...
Old 10-18-09, 05:40 PM
GS2006
Lead Lap

can not believe people. Get a new tire!